R6 Message Net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· O_o
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried doing a search, but since the search won't allow two characters ("R1"), I can't find any info on this.

But I was wondering if any R1 rear wheel will fit in a 03+ R6 swingarm?
If it doesn't, just curious to know if if the rim hub/lip is too wide for the swingarm, offsets for the sprocket/rotor is way off.... etc?

My bike (2000) is currently , completely torn apart for a big makeover:

I have the 03+ R6 swingarm/suspensions and will need to buy 03+ rear wheel for it. Since I haven't bought any wheels yet, I was curious to know if the R1 wheel can fit with minor mod if possible.

I know that the R1 wheel is 7.0" wide and the R6 is 6.5" wide, that would be 0.25" more protruded rim lip than the R6, so I wouldn't think that rim lip would be that close to the chain or right swingarm. Also, if the offet of the rotor is an issue, then it's possible to remount the caliper with either spacers or shaved down.

If anyone knows the facts, or close to facts, please let me know.
Thanks.

· O_o
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Updates on my findings....

I compared all parts that goes with the wheels and swingarms for the 03+ R6 and the 04+ R1 and 95% of the part numbers are the same.

To just list a few that are the same part numbers as each other....

Bearings, oil seals, axles, hub clutch, axle nuts, hub washers and other hardwares..... etc.
Rotors are the same diameter.
Bascially all parts needed to get it mounted and rolling.

The 5% that isn't the same:
- Sprocket with different number teeth (possibly to use from the R6 - 6 bolt setup)
- Hub damper - Not a problem, the R6 hub damper will fit because both dampers of the R1 and R6 sits on the same exact parts that each has.
- Bearing spacer - not a problem because it goes over the axle, so using the ones that are made for that wheel is natural.
- Wheel collar - not a problem, same reason as above.

Theory:
Since the axle is the same exact part number between the R1 and R6, that means the length of the axle is the same = swing arm from left to right SHOULD be the same distance. Now if the swing arms are both the same thickness, that would mean the rear rim hub would be the same width.

Unless the swingarm is chubbier on the R6 than the R1, it should be a direct swap with no modification.

But if my theory is not true, then the only thing being in the way would be that if the R6 has thicker swingarm than the R1, that means less space between the two arms = smaller hub width of the wheel.

Ok, I think I will be the genea pig for this project. I know there are some people out there that are curious to know also, but $500 to test something is impractical. But I willl take the chance. If it fails, I'll just put it right back up on ebay, and lose shipping costs, that's all.

If it's a success, then I will be having a pretty freaky bike.

2000 R6
2001+ R6 tail
2003+ R6 swingarm + rear suspension
2004+ R1 wheels (if it works!) if not, then 2003+ R6 rims

I ride another R6, and using my own bike as a project bike to fool around with, just incase some think I am being stupid to do this to my only bike. =D

· O_o
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, mainly for looks. I'm using that one as a project bike just to mess around, and for show. So I can put wide rim and wider tires. I know that handling will be degraded, but this ones not going to be riden hard.

I ride another R6 which is kept stock.

· O_o
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ronin_R6 said:
thats cool. just curious. I doubt it will handle like crap, but just not as good as with the 180/55.

You could probably put a 200 tire on that rim too, if you are going for looks
Oo 200. I hope the rim works out though.

Hey, I was wondering. Wouldn't 180 handle better on a 6"wide rim than the 5.5" rim? Since it stretches a bit farther, that should mean more contact patch. If that is so, then this could be pretty good for those wanting a grippier bike in the turns.

But I don't know if the weight difference between the two is a significant factor. I heard some R1's trying to use R6 rear wheels for weight reduction, but didn't do it because they didn't know if it'll swap up.

· Registered
3 Posts
I tried doing a search, but since the search won't allow two characters ("R1"), I can't find any info on this.

But I was wondering if any R1 rear wheel will fit in a 03+ R6 swingarm?
If it doesn't, just curious to know if if the rim hub/lip is too wide for the swingarm, offsets for the sprocket/rotor is way off.... etc?

My bike (2000) is currently , completely torn apart for a big makeover:

I have the 03+ R6 swingarm/suspensions and will need to buy 03+ rear wheel for it. Since I haven't bought any wheels yet, I was curious to know if the R1 wheel can fit with minor mod if possible.

I know that the R1 wheel is 7.0" wide and the R6 is 6.5" wide, that would be 0.25" more protruded rim lip than the R6, so I wouldn't think that rim lip would be that close to the chain or right swingarm. Also, if the offet of the rotor is an issue, then it's possible to remount the caliper with either spacers or shaved down.

If anyone knows the facts, or close to facts, please let me know.
Thanks.
What year r1 and r6 wheels are you referring? I thought r1 is a 6" width and r6 is a 5.5" width.
Please enlighten me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts