R6 Message Net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. I know the conversation will quickly turn from how cool this post is to why people dont agree to doing this. So just to get it out of the way, YES it is easier for someone to get under the tank of my bike but NO its not any easier than using an Allen Wrench. So keep the talk to ONLY about how COOL this post is, got it?

This all started when I was looking for a quick release kit. I found a few companies that make em but even on the cheap side it was $40+ so I figured I would spend a few hours and make my own. I headed down to the Home Depot and picked up a few items.

1. 2 x 1/4 x 2in hex bolts. I made sure they were S.S. and had at least a half inch of non-thread.

2. 2 x 1/4in plastic washers. I did white but will be looking for black ones.

3. 2 x 1/4in cotter pin. Basically get the size a little smaller than the size of the hole you plan on drilling. I think they were also listed as #5`s

Tools/supplies used:

Vise
Dremel
Drill
Metal drill bits
WD40
225 sheet of sand paper
Tap set
Loctite

The first thing that I did was re-thread the threads in the frame. I had to do this because I couldnt find ANY stainless steel metric bolts that were not threaded the whole way. Not a big deal, and if you can find some even better. When I was done threading the holes I checked them several times using the bolts that I got.

Next, using a vice and Dremel, I started working on the bolt. I cut the bolts and left 1/2in of threads and cut two small notches where I wanted the holes to go. I cut the notches because I was not having any luck with the hole punch and could not get the drill bit to bite. Making a small notch with the Dremel aloud for a MUCH easier start.

Using a 1/16 drill bit I made the first hole in each bolt. It is slow going with stainless steel. You need to use some type of lube (wd40 works) and apply SLOW and STEADY pressure. Obviously the vice was not able to hold the bolt horizontal so I put the head of the bolt in the vice and propped the rest of it up with a washer.

Once I had the 1/16 holes drilled I re-drilled them to 7/64 (again slow, steady and lube) and used 1/8in bit to round out the vary edge.

Used the Dremel again to cut the heads of the bolts off, I cut about 1/8in above the holes that I drilled.

Changed the Dremel bit to the polishing wheel and clamp it into my vise. Using a medium speed I polished them PERFECTLY. They came out really well.

This is a picture of the finished "studs".


And this picture is of the finished product.


I had a broken 7/64 drill bit lying around and used that to help screw the studs in. I placed it through the stud and used a towel to screw it all the way in. MAKE SURE YOU USE LOCTITE WHEN YOU SCREW THE STUDS IN!!!

Finally I ended up having to sand down one of the washers a bit because it was more important to me to have the cotter pins be at the same angle. If you get lucky or are good enough you might not need to but you want it to be tight fit or you will get a lot of vibration!

And thats, that. I hope some of you guys do this, I think it is super functional no matter what riding level you are at and it looks SICK!
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top