R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I've ridden the definitive oil thread, and I have one quick question. This will be the first oil change I've done on my six. The previous owner changed the oil religiously with mobil one red cap 10W-40, which I've done a search on here for, finding out that it is no longer produced...What oil should I use now? I'm looking to stay with Mobil One, but I believe I've read that the new 'red cap' is different, on the bottle it says something like 5000 miles protection. So for all those whove made the switch from red cap, what's my best option...gold cap???

I'm clueless when it comes to oil, so help a friend in need, please!!
Thanks!

·
Registered
906 Posts
PS, they should still make Mobil 1 full synthetic 15-40 but i'm not sure.

The "protection up to 5000 mile" bottle is only conventional oil, meaning regular oil (non syn).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the bottle I was looking at

·
Registered
906 Posts
Rich04 said:
Here's the bottle I was looking at
Yeah this actually isn't "Mobil 1".

This is "Mobil". Kinda weird I know. The "1" indicates that its a synthetic oil, whereas the lack of it means its conventional.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Deimos said:
Yeah this actually isn't "Mobil 1".

This is "Mobil". Kinda weird I know. The "1" indicates that its a synthetic oil, whereas the lack of it means its conventional.
That's interesting, do you have a link or source to where you read or saw that?

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
YamRZ350 said:
That's interesting, do you have a link or source to where you read or saw that?

Thats common knowledge... go check www.mobil.com. :thumbup Mobil1 = full synthetic, Mobil = non or semi- synthetic.

Any of the "extended performance" oils will work fine. I'm using the 5w30 in my R6. I use the 5w40 "Truck and SUV" oil in my v-star...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Deimos said:
Amsoil 15-40
i think it's 10w-40. the mobil mx4t synthetic mtorcycle oil that walmart sells, i think is the cheapest full synthetic motorcycle oil there is, but don't hold me to that.

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
remember if your getting automotive Mobil 1, look on the back of the bottle and be sure there NO "energy conserving label" on it

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, I remembered about the energy conserving thing, I just didn't know which one replaced the red cap. I think I'll be going to walmart and getting the mx4t tomorrow morning. Thanks guys!

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
Ive been to MANY Wal Marts in my general area and not one of them carries the MX4T, so I bend over at my local shop and pay $10/qt

·
Registered
693 Posts
I use Mobil1 0w40. Bought 2 cases at AutoZone.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just bought 3 bottles of 15w-50 gold cap at walmart, b/c I couldn't find the other stuff. But this should do.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Rich04 said:
Just bought 3 bottles of 15w-50 gold cap at walmart, b/c I couldn't find the other stuff. But this should do.
Where are you from? Seems kinda thick for cold weather.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chicago, IL

EDIT: Thats the only Gold cap weight I could find at walmart, and I didn't know enough about oil to pick out a different one. Someone recommended this earlier in the thread, so it's what I went with. Think I'll be good?

Like most people, my bike will be sitting on stands for the rest of the winter and I will be changing it again before I ride in the spring, so if I need to change to a different weight, I'll just do it then.

·
Registered
693 Posts
For storage oil, that weight should be fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually I forgot, I gotta take the bike out next weekend for a Toys for Tots parade, I won't run into any serious problems right?? I'll make sure and warm up the bike well, but I'll be riding 22 miles in cold ass weather, should I worry??

BTW, thx for the advice for an oil newbie
:thumbup

·
Registered
693 Posts
You should be fine but make sure the oil is up to temp. The temp gauge above the speedo isn't oil temp so let it warm up 5-10 mins longer after the water temp gets up to temp.

Good luck on the parade run!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts