R6 Message Net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
will ride for mods
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im looking at a new slip on and i was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of an article or anything like that, that has differences and pro's and con's of the two materials. thanks !

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
i know my cf never gets hotter than warm to the touch. even after a day of hard riding.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ti will last longer. Carbon tends to get brittle over time. +1 for the pipe being cool to the touch. My Ti AKra doesn't really get that hot either

·
Registered
143 Posts
CF is nice for the passenger especially if it's a high mount like mine. But I have heard ti dissapates heat well too. When I bought my CF high mount it said do not use on a dyno because there is not enough cool air to keep the resin cool on the can. Don't know how much abuse it can take but I'm guessing alot if you keep some kind of air blowing on it.

·
"Project 2K3R6"
1,401 Posts
^^^ this is true, when dynoing carbon can actually overheat and the resin will get hot enough to turn into a gel to where the weaves will eventually fall apart. Titanium is and excellent material for dissapating heat however it is very easy to damage in the event of an accident. Carbon can fade however if the canister is kept up it shouldnt be an issue. I apply a thick coat of wax on my canister and it helps prevent sun damage along with any other liquids that may get picked up off the road.

·
Registered
558 Posts
actually, ti disipates heat very poorly (which is the reason you can touch it and it doesn't feel as hot as ss). for race applications ti is a poor choice compared to other materials such as inconel steel which is just as light, doesn't fatigue, and has much better thermal properties.

in all reality, the choice between a ti and carbon slip-on boils down to looks and sound...go with what YOU like.

·
Registered
44 Posts
chiromikey said:
actually, ti disipates heat very poorly (which is the reason you can touch it and it doesn't feel as hot as ss). for race applications ti is a poor choice compared to other materials such as inconel steel which is just as light, doesn't fatigue, and has much better thermal properties.

in all reality, the choice between a ti and carbon slip-on boils down to looks and sound...go with what YOU like.

Wait now i'm confused. If ti doesn't disipate heat, shouldn't it get hot?

·
Registered
558 Posts
it DOES get hot (that's the reason it turns that pretty shade of blue so easy) but because it doesn't disipate heat well, it doesn't transfer it to you when you place your hand on it. steel disipates heat quicker and that's why you feel the larger/quicker transfer of heat when you place your hand on it...ouch!

i know it seems back asswards. ever see the experiments with the tiles on the space shuttle...the ones that are glowing hot at 1200*f and you can hold it in your hand? same thing, it holds the heat and doesn't disipate it to surrounding objects.

·
Registered
886 Posts
my shotgun.. i can stick my tongue on it,,(that that i have) but its very cool to the touch after riding all day even.

·
student/pilot/boyfriend:(
3,174 Posts
riggz said:
i know my cf never gets hotter than warm to the touch. even after a day of hard riding.
You'll still have a nice burned circle in our shoulder if you lean over and touch that tip :myfault I've had a ch shotgun exhaust and I have a Graves Titanium full system. I think its looks. IMO

·
Stock Tiip ARIO!
1,625 Posts
:strongbad I think Ti is better than carbon and will last longer and is cooler looking and muck lighter than steel which is one of the big advantage. I will only buy TI muffler:2cents and I don't care who gets burned by the pipe its just tough shit:blahblahb ad I just got a shippment in of real lead addittive to boost my power and keep my engine running strong and to polute the air more to, make the kids cough

·
..I should be working..
429 Posts
:asskickin

Change that could to Should (about the whole pollute the air thing and every other retarded comment he has made)

·
Registered
558 Posts
although it will be funny after he uses that lead additive for the next few months and then tries to run without it...good luck with that. :lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts