R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a trackday next week. Thinking of trying the Power Races. What compounds and pressures are you running out at Willow Springs big track? I would like the tires to last a few trackdays but I don't want something so hard I'm going to have terrible grip.

Medium, Medium Soft, Soft, some combination?

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
There is a difference between the PR series and the power race tires... At least that is what my understanding is. Go look on the sidewall of your tire and if it says PR1-5 then its the pr series.. As for what to run out there, 31.5/22 is wut ive been told to start out at and work from there.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
DownTown said:
So what are the PR3,4,and5's? Are they different than the Medium, medium/soft, and soft?
pr 3,4,5 are the REAL race tires. The "power race" series are not really race tires, they are sport tires.. decent , but not as good as true race PR tires. 3 is soft, 4 is medium, 5 is hard and normally run on the 1k bikes as it is also slightly diff. construction than the 3 and 4 that we use on the 600cc bikes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MELK-MAN said:
pr 3,4,5 are the REAL race tires. The "power race" series are not really race tires, they are sport tires.. decent , but not as good as true race PR tires. 3 is soft, 4 is medium, 5 is hard and normally run on the 1k bikes as it is also slightly diff. construction than the 3 and 4 that we use on the 600cc bikes.
Wow, OK so I'm assuming most shops won't carry the PR's? If not, where do you get them? Are they a lot softer or just a different profile?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
DownTown said:
Wow, OK so I'm assuming most shops won't carry the PR's? If not, where do you get them? Are they a lot softer or just a different profile?

They are REAL race tires! yes, significant difference vs. cheap sport tires. If they did not work better, they would not be more expensive. No.. most dealers will NOT be able to sell them. Call Frank Kinsey and he can ship to you. 321.267.4787

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
zeus said:
Make sure you only use 22 psi in the PR3,4,and 5 all others are normal psi.

I knew people would love that bulletin from Michelin... I would have been runnng my tires a little low if I didnt find that gem... :thumbup

·
Gossamer has MOJO!!!
15,535 Posts
i was always told to use 22 in the power race also. I didnt use them much though, maybe 2 times...usually the PR series

·
Gossamer has MOJO!!!
15,535 Posts
MELK-MAN said:

I always liked the 5 rear if it was hot enough.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright so I talked to Frank Kinsey who was super helpful. Too bad he's all the way across the country or I'd get tires from him. If you live out east, give him a call. Here's the jist of what he said.

The mediums suck for anything but street riding. The front gives out way too easy. I have a buddy who tried the mediums and he said the front felt a little washy.

The medium/softs he had no experience with.

He said the softs were decent.

The PR1 and 2 are the softer and harder front tires respectively. The 3 through 5 is softer through harder rear.

He recommended the PRs if you are starting to push your lap times down pretty good. Said the 2 and 5 are a good bet if its not cold and you want your tires to last for a little while.

He also said the soft is actually a little softer than the PR1 but that the rubber compound and tire construction are what give it better traction.

It sounded like I should go with a PR2/5 setup. It will last longer than a soft and should give great traction.

Any comments?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And remember I'm not a racer. I'm taking my street bike out there. I go relatively fast but I don't push the edge because I don't want to crash my only street bike.

Edit: Relatively fast = 1:34s at Big Willow if that means anything to you.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
^^faster that half the pack in the middleweight novice class (including me). sell those street plastics and get yourself in the new racers school this saturday. :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I do 1:34s and 1:35s on Medium fronts and Medium Rears to save cashola. I used to run a PR2 front and Med/Soft rear (saved $ compared to a PR5 rear) combo but my lap times didn't come down and I switched to Med/Med to save cash until I grew some nuts.

At my level I cannot tell the difference between the PR2 and Med/Soft vs Med and Med other than I sometimes spin the Med rear up on the first lap, even after warmer use. After that its usually good enough.

I figure if I can start to get down to 30's I'll switch back to PR2/PR5.

I am riding tomorrow and will run the Med/Med at 31/28, which means I now need to screw with ride height since I've been running the rears at 21psi... And its going to be friggin cold!

·
Registered
202 Posts
RayRevolver said:
I am riding tomorrow
Sweet! I thought you'd be in AZ and miss this round... See you Saturday.

-R.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like the feel of the med/soft front over the PR2. If you run a PR2 keep the psi around 32 to 34 or so that tire likes to fold on itself as it wears. When it fold you will be on your head very quick. Trust me I found out the hard way my last race weekend.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts