R6 Message Net banner

Put ZX10 Front end on R6

10K views 90 replies 36 participants last post by  rmsha0254 
#1 · (Edited)
Put ZX10 Front end on R6 (pics)

only took me 4 hours! i have the whole front end, clamps, forks, wheel, and brakes. the biggest problems i have run into so far were 1. the bearings are larger on the kawi and 2. the stem is about half an inch shorter on the kawi. to solve the bearing problem, all i had to do was swap the bearing races. this accounted for about 3 hours and 45 minutes of the entire process... they were some beyatches to get in an out. once they were in the steering stem problem had to be delt with. everything is put together and is snug and firm, no rattle slop or play whatsoever. my only concern, and it may indeed be small, is that instead of having the nuts underneath the top triple clamp putting pressure on the head bearings, there is only room to put the top clamp on and then the nut that goes on top of that. So basically, the nut on top is now doing what the nut on the bottom (of the top clamp, closest to the top of the frame) was doing. i plan on safety wiring this or allowing for a cotter pin type deal there just to make sure the nut doesnt loosen up on me. other than that, the forks look sweet and i will post pics as soon as i get the clipons and controls worked out!:thumbup

#9 ·
kwik'6er said:
my only concern, and it may indeed be small, is that instead of having the nuts underneath the top triple clamp putting pressure on the head bearings, there is only room to put the top clamp on and then the nut that goes on top of that. So basically, the nut on top is now doing what the nut on the bottom (of the top clamp, closest to the top of the frame) was doing. i plan on safety wiring this or allowing for a cotter pin type deal there just to make sure the nut doesnt loosen up on me.
This ain't no small problem.

You need to resolve this (maybe by swaping steering stems?) before you get hurt.

#11 ·
omg... take suspension from the worst manufacturer to replace the best suspension from the manufacturer...

Why would you use Kawi parts?? They've always been known as the company w/ the worst suspension.

OHHH I see, he's from Abalama... (no offense RonJeremy :p)

#14 ·
Did you atleast check the length of the forks for comparison?

A few yrs back I put a spare RC51 front end on a HawkGT but never really got to ride it beyond around the block....I sold them separately.

I agree with Thrak on the swapping of a mediocre fork to probably one of the best out there from the factory but something tells me this guy isnt really performance oriented kind of guy.

#15 ·
XxMerlinxX said:
Sunof... a biscuit, this sounds like something someone else would do....
Don't be chicken, this guy is sunofwolf in disguise!

Hey he know owns an R610RR, how many of you can say that?

#16 ·
kwik'6er said:
my only concern, and it may indeed be small, is that instead of having the nuts underneath the top triple clamp putting pressure on the head bearings, there is only room to put the top clamp on and then the nut that goes on top of that. So basically, the nut on top is now doing what the nut on the bottom (of the top clamp, closest to the top of the frame) was doing. i plan on safety wiring this or allowing for a cotter pin type deal there just to make sure the nut doesnt loosen up on me. other than that, the forks look sweet and i will post pics as soon as i get the clipons and controls worked out!:thumbup

That's not going to work:slapcry The lower lock nut is designed to only have 7-10ftlbs of torque to keep proper pressure on the bearings. And the top nut needs 80+ ftlbs and that locks things together to hold them true. That one nut can't do both jobs:wink

#18 ·
Thrak said:
omg... take suspension from the worst manufacturer to replace the best suspension from the manufacturer...

Why would you use Kawi parts?? They've always been known as the company w/ the worst suspension.

OHHH I see, he's from Abalama... (no offense RonJeremy :p)
brand allegiance is good and all but if you think that the stock r6, skinny minny forks are better than inverted, newer, tougher forks, I'm sorry, but your wrong.

MyYamR7 said:
That's not going to work:slapcry The lower lock nut is designed to only have 7-10ftlbs of torque to keep proper pressure on the bearings. And the top nut needs 80+ ftlbs and that locks things together to hold them true. That one nut can't do both jobs:wink

i sorta figured as much, i will have to lengthen the stem a bit. then it should be 100%

XFBO said:
Did you atleast check the length of the forks for comparison?

A few yrs back I put a spare RC51 front end on a HawkGT but never really got to ride it beyond around the block....I sold them separately.

I agree with Thrak on the swapping of a mediocre fork to probably one of the best out there from the factory but something tells me this guy isnt really performance oriented kind of guy.

the fork length when compressed, is about an inch shorter which is fine with me. i am somewhat performance oriented but a racer i am not. i ride here in town and have my fun, i drag race, and thats it.

#22 ·
not everyone builds a bike to race. if i were going to race, i would be concerned with the geometry, but since the only racing this bike sees is in a straight line, cornering is not that important to me. what is important is making it look the way i want it to.

#24 ·
XxMerlinxX said:
You're trying to make this a drag bike....?
You want the largest and heaviest forks you can get on a drag bike.

Honestly I really can't believe you are doing this for "looks", that's just retarded! You could be rollin down the highway and your shit fall apart, because you wanted to look cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.