R6 Message Net banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
the only thing that says it doesnt fit is being afraid to figure something out. look at the entire chopper/custom bike industry, do you think any of that "fit" when they got an idea to stick some custom stuff on a stock bike? and dont come back with a post about building a chopper. if noone has the balls to try something like this, fine with me, just get off my back about it and go ride your cookie cutter bikes. and welding a peice of solid stock into the middle of the steering stem is'nt rocket science, its modification, is'nt that the name of this forum? maybe i should show you some pictures of stickers on a bike or something like that...

· Premium Member
1,881 Posts
kwik'6er said:
the only thing that says it doesnt fit is being afraid to figure something out. look at the entire chopper/custom bike industry, do you think any of that "fit" when they got an idea to stick some custom stuff on a stock bike? and dont come back with a post about building a chopper. if noone has the balls to try something like this, fine with me, just get off my back about it and go ride your cookie cutter bikes. and welding a peice of solid stock into the middle of the steering stem is'nt rocket science, its modification, is'nt that the name of this forum? maybe i should show you some pictures of stickers on a bike or something like that...

Lots of hate and mis-infomation in this thread....

First, I guess there is nothing wrong with welding a piece to the middle of the steering stem, just as long as you understand that if it fails there will be absolutely nothing holding your front end onto the frame. Your posts in this thread indicate to me that you are in over your head with this project and a seriously un-safe bike might might be the only result of all your mods.

As for some of the other comments, I believe the Kaw's forks are made by the same company as the R6 and R1 (KYB). Personally, I thought the stock forks on both my R6 and R1 where some of the worst I ever rode on until I re-worked them. I would love to have the DLC coating on my forks, as well as the radial brake mounts.

Anyway, good luck with your project. I think you might want to give much more thought to the rake and trail numbers you will wind up with if you get it done.

· Loves Carbon Fiber
4,420 Posts
Oh3ArrrSixx said:
stickers is where the added hp comes from...that has nothing to do with forks
Woah man, that may be too much. Don't give him ideas that will just get him killed.

· Registered
991 Posts
kwik'6er said:
My bad I forgot that your a professional at customizing a bike. No one here is afraid to do any sort of mod as long as it makes sense and is worth the time to do. If it improves the bike then yeah, who wouldn't do it? It just that you are relying way to much for that 1 welding job to hold your forks to your frame. So like YamRZ350 said, if that gives way then good luck. Oh yeah another thing... those ppl that are in the industry of custom choppers usually know what the are doing. Yeah they are custom parts, but they have most of it measured down and it all adds up at the end.

· Registered
264 Posts
just weld it together, get out on the road ... do a couple high speed runs .. and a couple wheelies to see how it holds up ... if your bike doesnt turn into a unicycle then your all good, if it does ... well um ... i hope you have good balance

· Registered
32 Posts
press out the r6 stem and have it pressed into the kawi lower clamps. If its not the right size have it either welded and then turned to size with a lathe or if too large turned to the exact size.

You HAVE to have that tension nut to set the preload on the bearings. Using the nut on the top of the triple clamp is not enough.

good luck.

· Registered
32 Posts
Forgot to mention since the stem is steel and the clamps are aluminum the stem most likely has a slot with a clip. Make sure you retain that clip on the kawi clamps or vice versa.

· ride like u got a pair
456 Posts
i will say what everyone else is affraid to u have balls i would personally be scared to do a mod like this although it would be fun to try anyways good luck i hope it works out dont listen to these other people there are all just bored sitting in their office or something let us know when your done

· Premium Member
1,881 Posts
RZ350 said:
Forgot to mention since the stem is steel and the clamps are aluminum the stem most likely has a slot with a clip. Make sure you retain that clip on the kawi clamps or vice versa.
You're wasting your breath, I told him to swap stems back on page one.
Some guys just need to figure this stuff out on their own, if they live that long.

Off topic: what pipes are you running on your RZ?

· Registered
32 Posts
YamRZ350 said:
You're wasting your breath, I told him to swap stems back on page one.
Some guys just need to figure this stuff out on their own, if they live that long.

Off topic: what pipes are you running on your RZ?
sorry i missed the good advice amongst all the disapprovals.

They are Microns. Great midrange pipe but not all that much top end. I'm going to get a set of Toomeys or Jim Lomas pipes. Crank is trued and welded so I might as well have something I can rev to 12,500 rpm with.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts