R6 Message Net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I will be leaving Japan here in about 3 months. I was wanting to know if any of the military members shipped their bikes back as household goods. I have hear of ppl doing this before. I would like to know if there is any truth to it. Thank for your time.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It is going to be rough if you do. You might have to disassemble it into pieces. But I know for a fact all the fluids will have to be drained. it would be hazardous if not. Go talk to TMO and they will help you out better. Ask them if you can drain the fluids, and maybe part it out into boxes. you will be fine though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had my bike in England and brought it bad. The TMO will say to drain the fluids but the guys that load and unload dont give a shit. I rode my bike on the trailer both times. But if the guys ask if you drained it just say yes. I learned that I would disco the battery to have a better chance it will start three months latter.

·
My Custom Angel Eyes
412 Posts
Yes you can ship your bike in House Hold Goods. they will put it in a crate just like everything else. You should not have to take anything off your bike unless you want too. I will be shipping my bike from Germany in about 2 to 3 months as well. I would suggest to take off the mirrors and windscreen. Just so they don't get broken while being shipped. Just make sure the movers pack your bike good. A friend of mine got his bike in from the states with about 2500 Euro worth of damage. Thats almost $4000 U.S.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
And take 360 degree's of pictures to document the bike is in 100% mint condition. We had a guy at Ft Lee get his HHG's with his bike in it, his fairings had scratches all over it, they said it was preexisting and he had one hell of a time fighting it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank for all the response and good info. will let u know how it goes.

·
is bikeless
538 Posts
JapR6Amer said:
Well I will be leaving Japan here in about 3 months. I was wanting to know if any of the military members shipped their bikes back as household goods. I have hear of ppl doing this before. I would like to know if there is any truth to it. Thank for your time.

Yes that is the way to send it. Unless you want to wait for it like it was a car.

They make you drain all the fluids before you ship it. Make sure that you take pictures of it before you ship it. **DONT LEAVE THE KEY IN THE BIKE** and disconnect both terminals on the battery. The mover will tell you that they need it but dont give it to them. if they have a problem with it, take your case to leagal.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Yo good point on the key

·
Crash test dummy
620 Posts
When I shipped mine from Italy, they took my bike to the warehouse and built a crate for it there. I went to the warehouse before they actually closed the crate and sealed it so I could check for damages and sign the seals.
Don't let them take the bike and not let you see it crated up!!! A friend of mine had his bike taken to the warehouse, where the movers opened up another one of crates and put the bike in it.....then put a small ottoman on top of it! He fought that for the first year he was at Darby so he could get paid for the damages.

·
is bikeless
538 Posts
^^^ I didn't get mine crated, but I didn't get mine shipped from overseas. I thought it was cool that they had there own pallet with tie downs and everything made just for motorcycles. No damage what so ever to my bike

·
Registered
129 Posts
I shipped my bike household goods. My shippers said that as long as it wasn't leaking oil or other fluids and the gas tank was empty we were fine. You have to disconnect the battery so I would just take it out and put it on a tender because it'll take a few weeks or a month to get your stuff so otherwise it'll be dead when you get it. My only complaint was my side cover (tail fairing whatever you want to call it) was scratched rashed to the plastic on the trailing edge above the tail light. This was because the dumbasses that loaded the truck at the warehouse had wedged my wire trash can between the wall of the truck and the bike. As the truck went over bumps the wire on the trashcan wore its way through all the moving pads they had put over the plastics. Otherwise it was a great experience and everything was fine. If something like that happens to you it'll require a couple signatures and a little paper work but will ultimately be okay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well find out today that I will not be able to send my bike back to the states. The TMO personal told me I could but come to find out I can't. The only good thing is that I found out now and not the day the moves came to box everything up. So I have some time to sell it here before I leave for the states. Man this sucks. Oh well I guess I have to find another bike when I get back to the states. Thank for all the tipes before.

·
Registered
90 Posts
JapR6Amer
What base are you stationed at? I just shipped my bike back from Yokota about a year ago. My bike was not even US specs. There is some things you got to do to get the bike ready. I even registered it here in the US with no problems, but due to the MVD not having a clue here. If you need any info, just email me. The people in TMO are just being lazy as usual, so they do not have to do the paperwork..

[email protected]

Don

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well. I looked up the reg on shipping the bike. There is a rule on not being able to ship bike that don't meet U.S. spec. The shipping company the gov is using is now following that rule. I knew of ppl here that shipped their bike that was not U.S. spec. Well the good thing is I was able to trade it for a R1R U.S. spec. I looked at what they will be looking for and come to find out I could have shipped the R6. The R6 had a 17 digit vin the only thing missing was the sticker that said something about EPA. Which i could have order from a OEM store online. Oh well, I now have a R1 I will be riding in South Dakota. Yeah. Thanks again for all the good info and sorry about the late reply.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well TMO took my bike today. I am sad. I won't be able to ride for about 3 to 4 month. It also looked like I could have taken a chance and shipped the R6 and not to have gotten the R1. Oh well, I always wanted a R1.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts