R6 Message Net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally search and read and never have to start a thread. But this one has gotten me stumped. I recently panted my bike black. It's a 99 r6. While all the fairings were off, I decided to pretty much do as much maintenance as possible since it's easy access. I did a synthetic mobil 1 oil change with filter, replaced stock air filter with new oem filter, replaced fuel filter, and did a spark plug change with ngk 10(can't remember the type, like cek or crk's or crek's or something). When I finally started it up everything was fine, no smoke, no leaks, and no smell. But when I got it up to 25mph in 2nd gear around 4k rpm, the bike acted crazy. It would start to lose power, and when i give it gas, there's about a 2 second delay sort of like a lagging feeling, and then the bike would shoot up to 28mph and then starts being jumpy like its starving for air or gas. I've rechecked everything. Hoses, valves, filters, plugs, and wires and everything is good. Any idea? TIA

·
Garage Queen R6
1,801 Posts
Make sure your coils are pushed all the way in. Also check any vacuum hoses you may have unplugged. Also, did you remember to turn the petcock back on? Also check for pinched fuel hoses from lowering the tank.

·
Registered
134 Posts
sounds to me like your carbs are dirty. pull the carbs off and take the bowls off and clean them out with some b12 chemtool. you may want to do a jet kit too while you are there and the carbs are off the bike. i (as well as about everyone else on this forum) would recomend the Ivans jet kit, but the factoryPro jet kit is good too just stay away from the Dynojet kit. And Dont forget to sync them when you put them back on.

i had a similar problem with my 01. i filled up the tank about a mile from my house (after the bike had been sitting for about 2weeks on the low fuel light) and before i got home it was running like A$$!! pulled the carbs off and there was a jelly-like substance in the bowls. cleaned that all out with some chemtool and q-tips then i put it back together and it ran fine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
its free to take off the carbs and clean them out... with the exception of a 5 dollar bottle of chemtool. or you could just drive around and skip 2nd gear... go 1st to 3rd all the time since it only happens in second. :) there is also a "second gear pop out" howto on this forum that you might want to read. it does not sound like this is your issue because of the way you describe the symptoms but it never hurts to read. good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure your coils are pushed all the way in. Also check any vacuum hoses you may have unplugged. Also, did you remember to turn the petcock back on? Also check for pinched fuel hoses from lowering the tank.
BINGO! I hate how people never come and tell everyone what the problem was. So I'm going to start a trend here. It turns out that when we put the tank back on, one of the fuel lines was getting pinched. And when we took it off, it looked fine. So the problem was something we couldnt see and that's why I was stumped. How I found out was that I noticed a slight bend on the line after putting it on and taking it off so many damn times. Thanks for everyone's help. I am due for a carb cleaning though, about to hit my 20k mile mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
I normally search and read and never have to start a thread. But this one has gotten me stumped. I recently panted my bike black. It's a 99 r6. While all the fairings were off, I decided to pretty much do as much maintenance as possible since it's easy access. I did a synthetic mobil 1 oil change with filter, replaced stock air filter with new oem filter, replaced fuel filter, and did a spark plug change with ngk 10(can't remember the type, like cek or crk's or crek's or something). When I finally started it up everything was fine, no smoke, no leaks, and no smell. But when I got it up to 25mph in 2nd gear around 4k rpm, the bike acted crazy. It would start to lose power, and when i give it gas, there's about a 2 second delay sort of like a lagging feeling, and then the bike would shoot up to 28mph and then starts being jumpy like its starving for air or gas. I've rechecked everything. Hoses, valves, filters, plugs, and wires and everything is good. Any idea? TIA

Funny, I did the EXACT same things when I bought my 2002 last week! Mobil 1 Synthetic, NGK cr10ek's, fuel filter, and OEM air filter (on the way, but it's not that dirty anyways). I had the SAME problem. It sputter and hesitates in certain spots on the power band. I think I correctedd it partially by unkinking my vacuum hose, and retightening the screws around where the top of the carb intakes meet the airbox. It still sputters and surges after higher RPM riding (7500 and +). I'm gonna get the bike looked at next week. Might need carb cleaning, carb sync, or Air/Fuel adjustments. I'm just hoping it doesn't kill my $!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts