R6 Message Net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just found out about this forum and wanted to see if any of you could help me out with some opinions.

I bought a 08 r6 with 11k on it. Today did my 2nd oil change. Motul 7100 10w40 and k&n 204
It seems I didn't tighten the drain plug quite enough and it came off while on hwy. I was going around 70mph in 5th. A ton of white-ish smoke behind me and a solid line of oil. Low oil pressure light came on right after. I took it to 6th gear to lower the RPM but decided to just pull the clutch and coast to the exit. Put it in neutral and turned it off approx 6 to 10 seconds after the low oil pressure light came on. Bike was idling when i turned it off but it sounded normal (no knocks).
Im going to the dealer tomorrow to get a new drain plug and ordered another gallon of motul 7100.

My question is, do you guys think that the engine was damaged during those few seconds with no oil pressure ?

When i stopped the bike there was still a great amount of oil left in it because the puddle under the bike was about 1.5 quarts I'd say.

Im so mad at myself. I had Flushed all fluids, new plugs, new tires, lubed all cables and chain with quality products and making sure everything was as perfect as possible. Bike has been amazing since I got it. Thank you in advance if someone helps out with an opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd like to add the total distance the bike ran was around 0.9 mile right after it started smoking (probably oil burning in the hot exhaust{isnt oil supposed to burn blue though}) . The bike spent a few seconds around 6k and I quickly pulled the clutch and took it to neutral. Then shut it off. Kept the clutch pulled while i was coasting out of the hwy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Accept the fact that you messed up the engine. Damage was done if it shrieked and locked up. You may not see it immediately away, but it did happen. Wishing for something different won't make it go away. Dismantle it and, at the very least, replace the pistons and rings. To ensure that all drive train components are up to spec, measure and examine them. You may have also significantly damaged the bottom end. It's possible that the transmission is involved. Oil is required for the engines to function. If you leave it out, the engine will suffer harm. Sorry if I come across as harsh, but I don't want you to fool yourself into thinking you haven't caused any harm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts