R6 Message Net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning and went out to find my bike had a little frost on it. I pushed the choke to full and started my baby. It started for a second and then turned off. I started it again and it kept running. I went inside and put on my gear and started to come outside and heard my bike cutout. I went out and there is no juice for the lights or anything. It was running great two days ago. I need to get my baby up and running again quickly. I had my battery tested a couple days ago and they said it might be bad but could not say exactly.....if anyone has any info that could lead me to the problem it would be very helpful....I know that the alternator should have picked up and carried the load but do not know exactly how big the alt. is.....has anyone else had this problem....

Thanks in advance for any help and please remember that I am cycle new...give me a car and I am good to go........also can you test a bike alternator at advance or auto zone???

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it have a PMG in it??? I was looking through the service manual at the tech drawing and see the rectifier and ac magneto...if no alt...how does it generate current???

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You probably have too much water/not enough acid left in the battery and it froze some cells... Buy a new battery.

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
yes the bike does have a alternator (generator). its in the engine cover on the left side. it doesnt look like the typical car generator but it does the same thing.
the stator is just one part of the generator.
i belive the older r6's had problems with the rectifiers going bad. if that happens the bike will run off the battery until its dead. then the bike will not run any longer.
your problem could be a number of things
1. the rectifier
2. loose or corroded connections at the battery or the rectifier.
3. the generator not putting out the correct voltage. at 5k rpm i belive it should be around 14v
4. a bad battery. wich you probably have now combined with or because of something else.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could have swore that it had an alternator.....I will have to look at it and see if I can trouble shoot it. Being that I am an electrician I should be able to figure it out with the tech manual...just saves lots of time if someone had the same problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts