R6 Message Net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 r6. Lately I have noticed that my headlights will dim as well as a lose of power. I noticed the lose of power first. Thinking maybe my tank or throttle bodies might be dirty due to my bike sitting all winter I ran seafoam through my bike which seemed to help a little with the bogging down on take off or fast acceleration. Then I noticed one night while riding that at a very slow pace my headlights would get dimmer then all of a sudden be bright again. When I got home that night I pulled my seat off to check on the terminals. I positive connection was loose so I thought I solved the issue. The next morning when I left for work due to it being dark I noticed that I has in fact not fixed it.

Last summer I was having an issue with my charging system so I replaced my stator and regulator. So I know its not that. Should I get a new battery? Drop my fuel pump and clean my tank? Or a new pump?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would measure if your battery is holding above 14V DC (regulators job). If it isnt then its a charging system problem. If it is I would check the connections all the way to the bulbs to see if anything is obvious. Take off each connector and wipe them with a wire brush and make sure theres no corrosion or anything. If all else fails, take the bulb out and connect it to the battery directly using 2 random wires you find (make sure tight connectors). If it lights up good its something in your wiring/charging systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK that makes sense except that doesn't explain why that when the lights dim my motor will start sounding and feeling like it starving for fuel. As well as after the bike is fired up, on take off, it will bog down really bad. Not every time. At first I only noticed it only after about 100 miles on the trip meter. Then it would do it around 75. The other day after fueling up and making the trip home of about 20 miles on take off the next morning it bogged down. Not enough to stall but the rpms will drop down to about 4-5 thousand and stay that way no matter how much I twist the throttle for 2-5 seconds before it snaps out of it. I already know that I need a new battery. It is like 3-4 years old.

Plus I replaced my stator and my rectifier last winter!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts