R6 Message Net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i currently have a hole/partially patched hole in my crank case. Long story short, i had a chain snap and put a hole in the case right above the front sprocket. The hole was a little bit bigger than a quarter. New cases can only be purchased in matched sets which would be $1100, and i was quoted about $1000 to tear the bike down and put it back together. So i tried taking it to a welding shop to get it heli-arced and that didn't work out so well. They tried twice and won't touch it again. Is there an epoxy i can put over the small leak now? Will blue glue work to seal this? Should i just try taking it somewhere else to have it rewelded, or am i just screwed?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Welding is the best bet, but JB Weld will work as a temp. fix. The shop you took it to was able to partially close the hole so there is now only a pin hole?

The problem will be getting the area completely oil-free. If you decide to try the JB Weld, rough up the area real well with a low grit sandpaper to make sure it has something to grab. Let it cure 100% before starting the bike.

Its a really ghetto way to do it, but it should hold quite well. I'm not gonna sit around and preach that you should buy a new case, because thats just not realistic for most of us.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I may have told this before, but I used Jb weld to seal up some nice holes in my tranny when I blew the diff in my eclipse. It never leaked but I did end up going back in when I was going over the tranny, and did a JB weld and sheet metal sandwich. screwed the 2 together, then gorund down the screws when it cured. Perfecto! Never had any issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
jb weld

We use the R6's on micro sprints and I had the same thing happen with the chain. It knocked a quarter size hole in the case. luckily I didn't lose the piece that came off. It fit back in like a puzzle piece. I used my dremel to slightly grind the edges of the piece so the was a very slight gap so the JB Weld could get into the edge. I used about 10 light coats over a 7 day period and it held with no leaks or problems the rest of the year. Just take your time with it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah, I hear crazy shit that people did with jb weld, so that is the way i would go too, but it would still make me kinda scared, ziptieing your fairings is one thing, but superglueing you engine? i dont know how long thats gonna last :shrug

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i don't have any pics yet, but yes the majority of the hole is patched its just not completely sealed. I've tried quicksteel and jb weld with not much luck. I just tried covering the area i thought was bad yesterday. I just went out there, started the bike, looked ok and then sure enough a little oil started seaping. I'm going to try the jb weld again, but i might be getting a buddy's buddy to try to fix it so we'll see.

·
Registered
137 Posts
JB weld works wonders. Are using the regular or JBquik. doesnt really matter. both have worked equally well for me. You just need to be absolutely clean with the part. Take a wire brush and brake clean thoroughly before gluing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe the JB is going to work. I'm letting what i believe to be the final coat set and we'll see in the next day or so. So far it is working except for a very very minor seap that is only present when the bike is cold, once it warms up it stops.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Does this sort of thing happen in other sport bikes as well? Please tell me Yamaha isn't the only one that this happens too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that picture of the hole in Big Deezul's bike is almost identical to what mine used to look like. As for the bike i'm going to have to add another coat of JB, it still leaks a slight bit when the bike is cold.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts