R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Shane and i really want to get a bike but my parents wont let me. What have some of yall done that had the same problem to convince your parents to let you. I think im going to take the motorcycle safty course in January which will help alot i think even if i cant get one now it will still help once i get one in college. Please if you are going to just say im too young and should not get one just keep it to yourself, i know they are very dangerous and i would not do anything stupid to hurt my bike or myself. Thanks

·
Feel alright...
1,327 Posts
Well it really does depend on Age, If you live under their roof they are going to have a lot of say in this matter.

My parents hated the idea, I just went and bought one and showed up at home, nothing they could do after the fact, well they could have pushed my bike into the pool, but they didn't.

Yes taking the MSF will show them that you are really interested and intend on being a safe rider. I would say read some books about riding and just let them know you are serious about the hobby and are learning as much as you can to stay safe.

Goodluck

ohh and :welcome

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yeah I did the exact same thing. I went out and bought one, and brought it home. There is little they can really do after that.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I told my parent when i got my bike that im getting it to save gas money.. casue my cobra was costing me over 500 dollars a month in gas.

they bought it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im 19 now and i just got mine. I wanted one for pretty much my whole life and bugged my parents for about three years but they always hated the idea. But after that long they realized it was something i really wanted and i also took the MSF course to show i was serious. When i finally saved enough to buy mine they respected my decision.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Find a family friend with one and have them take your parents for a ride...

My moms brother died at 25 while on a motorcycle, and while it was an underage drunk kid that hit him and it wast his fault, it can happen to anybody! I never met him. She was so completely against bikes and I was lucky enough to get a dirtbike....That is until about a year or two ago...My mom got a ride on the back of her friends bike and now understands my obsession! She is also somewhat interested in getting a small one for herself! If your parents are open minded, try this!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea i tried the gas thing because mustangs are not that great on gas. But she didnt care. We also had a family member get hurt on one which doesnt help much. I guess i will just have to see what happens after i take the course.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I remember when i wanted to get one sooooo bad, and mother never allowed it. Its funny cause now that i am older i am kind of glad she did, because when i was young safety was never in my mind, now with ages it seems to come to you no matter what you do. I am not saying that you will not be safe cause you are young, but that is the key that you must prove to your parent "safety" Show them that you will do anything in your power to be safe and to be very mature with the bike. Taking the safety course will take that one step closer to show them how bad you want to experience the sport. Also make guide line (rules) that you'll come up with so they can feel a little relax about your idea, ex. Never ride at night or take the bike out during rush hours, or never hit the high way anytime soon until you get miles on your belt. Just throwing ideas here, come up with rules that you feel are valid to them and you.
let us know what they say
:2cents

·
05 R6
648 Posts
I have my bike and I live alone with my girlfriend... My dad know that I have bought a bike but my mom doesn't know anything yet...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just get it and don't let them find out. thats exactly what i did. if u live in an apartment, u can park the 6 somewhere far away from ur entrance door..

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
i started out on a 80cc scooter, then a Derbi Race replica 50cc, and meanwhile two of my good friends both had 600cc, 04 Gixxa brought new and modded, and a 05 Gixxa bought new and just stock still, and i told my parents it'd be pointless for me to get a new 500 than sell it in a couple of months and lose $600-$1000
also i knew the guy pretty well who was selling me this bike, and i got a kick ass deal, what also helped me out a lot was, it was gonna take me a year too pay off my bike, and it only took 2 months because i work two jobs in the summer pulling 18 hours shifts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im only 18, built myself a car that will do 170mph, on a awd plateform. And will lay 0 to 60 times in the 4s and 1/4 in the 12s. My rents are used to my obcessions(my dad isnt much better), and just dont want me to die.

·
'06 50th Anniversary
902 Posts
i dont suggest doing anything without parents conscent

it took me a while, but i managed to convince them to let me, but even now, they changed their minds again, and its a pain in the ass.... i assume it would be much worse if you do it without their concent

it just goes to show you...eventualy they'll cave in :p

i convinced them by taking the safety course
and having them follow behind me so i could show them "how" to ride

after they had enough confidence in me, they let me go

a friend of mine just went straight for his M1 and M2, and surprised his parents by buying a bike right off the bat
the folllowing week they sold his bike while he was in class

·
Registered
222 Posts
My parents wouldn't have anything to do with a bike so when i was 17 they wouldn't sign the title, so i was S.O.L
but i went and looked at my first bike the night of my 18th b-day and picked it up 2 days later, when he finaly got the title

you just got work your ass off and earn it, i worked 40 hrs. a week with school

now i got 2 in the garage :thumbup, and my dad wants one, he just cant find an old school bench seat cruiser, from "back in the day" like he wants, lol

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
combatstang said:
I told my parent when i got my bike that im getting it to save gas money.. casue my cobra was costing me over 500 dollars a month in gas.

they bought it.
Damn, you've got it rough... They should've said okay, fine - we're selling your car and buying you a Geo metro and a 50cc scooter with the money. Since you’re so concerned about gas.

·
WTF or ban
88 Posts
My dad and I rode dirt when I was young, but the street bike thing was forbidden.

My paps said if you buy a road bike, you cant live here. I said goodbye.

·
Registered
87 Posts
after my dad rode my bike, he went out and bought a new bike of his own. he always rode cycles when i was young, but being a responsible father, he left the sport for a while to raise a family. after he rode the r6, it brought back his passion for 2 wheels and he has not looked back since. good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im 16. But the gas problem really does hurt me which is another reason i want a bike because mustangs are not the greatest on gas.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts