R6 Message Net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I will not eat cat poop!
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.......please answer me this question.

Do you have to retain any parts from the stock fuel cap assembly to use with the Vortex kit (bolts, rubber gasket etc.)?

This is for an '03 if it matters.

Thanks.

·
I will not eat cat poop!
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, that's what I figured.

Thanks, D.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
When I put one on a 2000, I ended up having to use the flat rubber gasket off of the stock cap under the Vortex base. With the tank pretty full, and on the brakes hard it leaked around the base otherwise.

Maybe the new tanks are different.

·
I will not eat cat poop!
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YamRZ350 said:
When I put one on a 2000, I ended up having to use the flat rubber gasket off of the stock cap under the Vortex base. With the tank pretty full, and on the brakes hard it leaked around the base otherwise.

Maybe the new tanks are different.
Hmmmm, can anyone else confirm this?

Dennie, I'm looking in your direction. If anyone would know how well these things perform under extreme conditions it would be you......

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Maybe Dennie had better luck with his, but I also couldn't get mine to vent properly and had to leave the cap loose with the bike sitting in the sun. The threads are really fine and easy to cross thread if your not careful. The o-ring on the cap was easy to tear also. Lastly, the filler opening is real small and a pain to fill with a can.

The only good things I can say about it was it looked O.K., and they paid contingency.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
The only problem I ever had with mine is venting. I always had to crack it open to let it vent properly but if you take the base off you'll see a small alan head screw. If you take that out there is a little ball bearing in there that I assume is to keep the gas from leaking through the vent when you go down. I took the ball bearing and the screw on the bottom of the base out and it vents great now.

I don't remember having to take the rubber seal off the OEM cap, I think the votex one comes with it.

·
I will not eat cat poop!
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. :thumbup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts