R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am curious to hear your opinions on the '06 craze that is going on right now. Seems like everyone is selling their bikes to buy an 06, even some of my GSXR friends are selling their 05's to buy an 06 GSXR.

Granted the 06's have some awesome features for both Yamaha and Suzuki, I just want to point out that these bikes get better every year. Manufacturers would have problems selling bikes if improvements weren't made every year.

I am a person who loves the newest, latest, greatest thing. I just can't convince myself to sell my 05' R6 to buy an 06' R6. There are A LOT of posts about people selling their 05's to get their hands on an 06, I just can't see myself doing it.

I am hoping with the way that Kawasaki and Triumph are trying to push the market, that the middleweight class might come back some time very soon. I would love to see 700-800cc high rev'ing bikes come back on the scene and not just be limited to the GSXR750.

What do you guys think? Let's not be biased here either :).

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
There are many improvements on the 06, but it's not worth it to me. I have the 05 Raven and I love it. Although, I am not doing any track riding or anything like that. I only put 4,000 miles on it since the day that I bought it in March of last year brand new, so it's not like I ride as much as I could. It just depends man, on what kind of rider you are. I personally won't be switching to the 06. I do see an R1 in my future though, many years down the road.....

·
Ding ding!
299 Posts
This is the second such thread. Seriously, if your not going to buy one, good for you. The new bike is hot looking and has some cool upgrades. I plan on selling my 03' and buying one, even though I think it's a little over priced. Funny, how it seems like most 06' haters are 05' owners.?.?.?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The 06 looks sexy as hell (R6). But I am a little skeptical about the throttle thing not having a cable. I imagine that any small lay down will make the price of repairs go up rediculously.

If you are into the newest, best shit, all the time, you better prepare yourself to spend some serious cash. If you buy a bike annualy say at about 10,000-11,000 and trade in every year, you will be loosing out at least 4000 annualy. Plus factor in gear, upgrades, insurance, and possible mishaps, and that shit could be hella expensive. If you have the cash, it may not be too bad, but if you plan to make payments it goign to be a lot. But If you can afford it, go for it.

Im with DreamNofR1, I would prefer to jump on the R1 instead.

·
Wat up DAWG!!!
3,037 Posts
i might trade in my 02 r6 when they bring out the next generation of 600's but IMO the technology hasn't moved on enough for me to get rid of mine, and i still think the designs could be improved (but i am a automtove design student)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well....I am getting the 06 R6 simply because I sold my '03 R6 :thumbdown about a year ago and I have regetted it beginning the first day. I sold all of my gear as well so I have now bought my Shoei helmet, ICON boots, Frank Thomas jacket and gloves all over again. Now all I have to do is wait for my bike to come in, which should be sometime in February according to the dealer I am buying it from.

By the way, $8900 OTD for the 2006 Team Blue and $27/month for insurance :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
i think it all depends on timing (when you bought your present bike). i bought mine in 03 and have added lots of extras to it over the years. from a money perspective, and i fall in this category, it would not have made sense for me to get a new bike until now. if you spread your upgrades a bit, like i did, you can have a "new bike" for at least two years, maybe longer depending on the upgrades.

in retrospect buying my bike in 03 was the best thing i could have done , because i have added all the mods that i wanted (excluding engine upgrades), and i am now ready for a new bike.

i guess the moral of the story (for me) is; consider when the bike you plan on buying is due for an upgrade and what sort of mods you like to do to it, then make a decision on what to buy. of course if money is no object then all of this means shit... right.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
L_R6_A said:
The 06 looks sexy as hell (R6). But I am a little skeptical about the throttle thing not having a cable. I imagine that any small lay down will make the price of repairs go up rediculously.
They have cables.. the cables are just not directly linked to the tb's.

·
'06 50th Anniversary
902 Posts
to tell the truth, i had my heart set on the honda 600RR

but the cement hard seat, and lack of paint colors didnt fancy me (yay plain silver, and i already have a red bike......and sure the orange graphite is cool, but really.... do you WANT to ride it?)

GSXr was my 2nd choice, of the 600's the only color scheme that i liked was the blue and blue rims, however EVERYONE as well as their uncle's have that color on newer and older gsxrs...... and i want something a little different

the R6 (3rd choice) was the bike that fit me the best, and one i found most comfortable
and i love the yellow/black :D

i went with diff bikes in mind, my goal was the find the most comfortable 1st....then decide the color, and being the 50th anniversary, this one won't come around again (sure... maybe i'll get the 75th anniversary when im 46.....or the 100th anniversary when im 71 :p)

so right now, im just flaunting the new bike that im getting and loving it
love what you have, why buy something if you don't really like it?

my decision was either get one this year, if i didnt find one, i'll wait till 2007

i still love the daytona triumph... but something about 3 strokes is just..... ewww :p

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bullfrog said:
This is the second such thread. Seriously, if your not going to buy one, good for you. The new bike is hot looking and has some cool upgrades. I plan on selling my 03' and buying one, even though I think it's a little over priced. Funny, how it seems like most 06' haters are 05' owners.?.?.?
I don't remember bashing 06's anywhere in my thread. You were the only asshole in this thread so I will ignore your comment.

·
Registered
383 Posts
the 600's have been long long overdue for a major overhaul, hence the excitement

they have been pretty much the same for how many years? :)

·
'06 50th Anniversary
902 Posts
CALR1 said:
the 600's have been long long overdue for a major overhaul, hence the excitement

word.

that was also the major plus that made me decide to get the R6
the 600RR's have been the same for the last several years, as with the GSXRs... to some degree

all the dealers i talked to seemed very impressed with waht Yamaha did
i think that the R6 was the talk of the show this year (for the 600's)
that and the Daytona Triumph was getting a lot of attention (although it is a 675, but still sexy)

·
Registered
160 Posts
unknown_host said:
I am a person who loves the newest, latest, greatest thing. I just can't convince myself to sell my 05' R6 to buy an 06' R6. There are A LOT of posts about people selling their 05's to get their hands on an 06, I just can't see myself doing it.
W.
I am just like you in loving the nestest ,latest and greatest ,

read my trend " No new bike this year "to see why i am not sell my 05 R6 for the 06 R6:wink

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love the new body style for the 06. I'm actually waiting for 07 for all the kinks and whatnot worked out (asuming there is any).

The only other bike that i think is good looking for 06 is the new daytona and the black 636. That gixxer is nasty.

·
Ding ding!
299 Posts
What do you guys think? Let's not be biased here either
If I known my opinion would constitute an a-hole comment, I wouldn't have posted. However, you asked for an opinion, and I gave one. Carry on........

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think Suzuki and Yamaha are going to be battling for wins in AMA 06. It's going to be really close. Although it's nice to see Yamaha and Suzuki coming out with new, improved models, Honda and Kawasaki may come out with great machines to compete with Yamaha and Suzuki. In 07, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top. Hopefullly Yamaha. When I graduate, I plan to treat myself to an 07 R1...For right now, I miss my hibernating 04 R6...:2cents :thumbup

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
CALR1 said:

Well except for that minor change from carbs to FI back in 2003. That wasn't signifigant at all, along with the major styling change.

Then of course there was that very minor change to inverted forks in 05 coupled with the radial brakes.
Yeah I see what you are saying. Pretty much the same bike since 1999 :myfault

1 - 20 of 26 Posts