R6 Message Net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was hooking up the front signals on my '01 R6 and as i did they aperently brushed together and i noticed the headlights dimmed when they did and then came back to normal.
than i noticed that the tail lights were not on, and wouldnt work any more and the signals never did work either, and i noticed the horn doesnt work either.

is all of this in the same circit or some thing? does ANYBODY have ANY ideas of what it could be??? i checked the fuse in the box under the seat and they were fine.

:bowdown ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!:bowdown
Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
^ hasn't anybody seen or heard of anything like this?? i have no idea what else to check!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
does the bike still run

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
all the lighting is on the same circuit i believe. i don't get how u did anything wrong...were u installing them with the bike on?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wait lemme get this right. Your hooked up your lights while the bike was on or something? If so you could have fried something. Kinda like trying to instal a radio without taking out the battery first. It causes an overload.

But in any other case you could have the signal connected wrong. Make sure everything is snug and the connections are where theyre supposed to be. If its not connected right it might the the source of the problem.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it runs fine, and the headlights work fine.
but no signals, tail lights, or horn.

well the wires were just hanging loose, with no signals hooked up, and i had to get a new battery, and it had been a couple months since i ran it so i was letting it run and i went to find the front signal wires and as i pulled them out i think they brushed together, because i noticed the headlights dimmed and then returned to normal.

ANY IDEAS WHAT I COULD HAVE SCREWED UP???
thanks a lot for the help

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the fuse looked fine, and i even switched it with the headlight fuse and it worked fine there too.
what should i check next? could the flasher relay cause the tail light/horn problem? and would the signals work at all if the relay was shorted?

·
Registered
165 Posts
fuse

yamahaoftroy.com
enter your bike and look at the electrical 1 and 2 pages just to see if you are looking in all the right spots. it sure sounds like a fuse though

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is only the fuses under the seat right (in the one fuse box and then the two exposed main fuses)?
i checked them, but i talked to the dealer today and i got a 3 week wait if i even want to get it in there, and they have no idea what else it would be so who knows what the labor will be on that job!!

i am about ready to replace ALL the fuses and see what happens, just want to make sure i am right about that being ALL of them, the box and 2 mains under the seat.

if anyone else has ANY other ideas or guesses i would be HAPPY to try them out before taking it to the stealership!
THANKS GUYS!

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Check to see if your hi beams work. The signal fuse powers the relays for the headlights, in addition to the blinkers and tail light, horn, etc. If the hi beam switch functions, then you know the signal fuse is good.

If the fuse is good, then you have a bad connection (not likely) or you burnt up a wire somewhere in the signal circut.

·
Registered
91 Posts
did you put aftermarket front signals on? If so put the stock ones on to rule out if it is actually the aftermarket signals causing the issue.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the high beams/headlights work fine.

i dont havn't done anything with the signals, since the circit doesn't have power for some reson i wouldn't even know if they work.

YamRZ350 said:
If the fuse is good, then you have a bad connection (not likely) or you burnt up a wire somewhere in the signal circut.
where would i even start to check the connections? would it even be worth it, or just take it in and let them test all the wires ect. and try to find the problem?

BTW- viperm3r6, that is a SWEEET garage you got, you are livin' my dream, i've still just got to pick up my viper some day!!:thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Start at the fuse, and with a meter, check voltage at each component that isn't working along the way. Good luck, it can be time consuming.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Damn, all I can say is learn how to use a multimeter.

Are the running lights on and just wont flash? Did you check to make sure the bulbs are ok?

Download the manual and go to 8-33 and start the trouble shooting procedure. If everything isnt working I would check the connector at the gauges for voltage, but since the horn dosent hook through there Im going to guess you may have fried some wires. Could you smell anything burning after you did that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
same hear

the day i bought my 02 R6 the same thing happened to me, i ran a strap around my forks and pinched 2 wires when i got home i had the same issue,the drive lights will work they are on a different circuit but nothing else will work, i sent a pic, it is one of those two 15 amp fuses i believe the one im pointing at was blown. get a ohm meter and check resistance of the fuse ( it can look good and be blown im a tech at bmw i see it all the time) and run resistance from the fuse to the turn signal switch or something easy to get to then check voltage on both sides of the fuse of the cause if nothing works on that entire circuit then u need to start at the power supply point and check ur ground points

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts