R6 Message Net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have some tricks up their sleeves or... just ideas on a easy way of getting a stripped bolt out? I guess some dude at the shop did it awhile back. I went to change my coolant the other day, and well the very back bottom bolt on my lower plastic fairing under the rear set is stripped. :mad: Thanks dealership mechanic!
In any case, I didn't want to make worse than it was, so I didn't f*ck with it too much.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Use a dremel w/ the cutting disc and make new/deeper slots in the head for the screwdriver to grip...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I ended up buying an "impact driver" from Harbor Freight for like 4 bucks. It kinda looks like a screwdriver and you hit the back end with a hammer. It loosened it just enough for me to back the screw out. A set of screw extractors works as well, but then you gotta drill the screw which is kinda a pain.

Good luck!

·
Registered
252 Posts
try a screw extractor? it goes on a power drill. kinda looks like a drill bit. just drill into the screw in reverse, the bit will bite into the screw/bold and unscrew it out

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I have several meathods of removing striped bolts, it just depends on the situation for each.

In your case I'd do what Thrak mentioned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've done the drilling before... I was hoping to get around that since it is such a pain. I'll try the dremel method, didn't think of that. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Sperm Bank Loan Officer
1,599 Posts
+1 with the impact driver. I use these all the time on bikes, quads ect. Its a must have for removing phillips head screws on any cycle, ATV and many others.

LINK

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
i was using a flat head screw driver, and i couldnt get my screw out, so i went to the auto wing and grabed a impact driver, MAN THAT LITTLE THING WORKS MAGIC!

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Don't use an impact driver on the fairing bolts :lol

It is quite possible to snap the lug clean off the frame.

·
Registered
392 Posts
ochlocracy said:
I have several meathods of removing striped bolts, it just depends on the situation for each.

In your case I'd do what Thrak mentioned.

bingo! ^^^

when i hear of u guys using impact drivers i cringe. ima truck mechanic, and when i use that shit, im smashin some HARD to exttract kinda shit. your're only fightin a little screw. in most cases, i find those rubber bushings behind the fairing screws are wuts really holding it against the fairing. i MAY be wrong. :thumbup :2cents

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
easy outs make life simple

1 - 13 of 13 Posts