R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nicky Hayden, Repsol Honda: 2m 03.027s - 52 laps.
"Decent days work looking back on it. Good weather this afternoon and we just kept chippin away at the job all across the board and we made good progress in some places. A few things I really liked about the bike today we tried some chassis changes and they help a lot like going into the corners the bike is better and that was good for my confidence. We also tested front and rear tires for Michelin, which seem pretty good. We have to work hard at this test and get more consistent. A lot of guys are working hard for me here and we have to take a lot out of this test."

I guess he learned from Max's mistake. But then Nick has always been a good rep. for 'Onda.

·
I will not eat cat poop!
4,370 Posts
He's always been good at realizing that roadracing at that level is a team effort, whether you're winning or losing......

·
Woody Racing #409
1,311 Posts
I think he still understands he is a lucky mofo to have the job he has.
at this point in biaggi and gibs careers they take they're jobs for granted. Not to mention after honda's boycott of biaggi, Nicky knows its time to suck up

·
Registered
520 Posts
I laugh when I hear everyone saying how lucky he is to have the bike he's got

I don't understand why people say this? his first season he finnished 5th overall as a rookie who hadn't ridden half the tracks

last year he had a rough season which isnt totally unacceptable

and this year he finnished a close third and became one of the most consistant riders into the 2nd half of the season

and besides all of that.........hes Nicky, and very marketable. the whole point of honda putting riders on their bikes and winning is to sell more bikes. if they put some rider on their bike that everyone loves despite not winning, they will still sell more bikes.

for example, David Beckham, while a very good soccer player, is not the best in the world. hes good, and up there with some of the best, but not the best. but he is by far the most marketable player. more beckham shirts sellt han any other player, and that brings in a lot of money for Addidas, and Real Madrid. If he starts to suck, but still bangs posh spice, goes to all the celebrity functions, and continues to dress like a metrosexual douchbag in the magazines, he'll always be worth the money he gets.

Nicky is loved by a lot of young guys buying their first bikes. hes the good looking american every young racer wants to be like. having him riding a honda alone will hold their market fairly well in the US which is a very large motorcycle market. And the fact that he is now the only american on a honda tells you that they are looking at him for the long term. It will take a hell of a lot of crashes for Honda to lose interest in him

I think he rightfully deserves the ride, for both his riding ability, and the fact that he is one of the top 2 most marketable guys in MotoGP (minus Rossi)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nicky is a good rider, doesn't need Honda nowadays, as ^^^ said, he's very marketable... He's a very good rider and I do not see why he needs to suck up to Hon-Duh... :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe "lucky" is not the best description. More so that he treats it as a priveladge and with respect versus other riders who take it for granted and think they are the key to success and above the factories.

·
Shameless Rossifumi
1,337 Posts
Here's an idea - maybe he genuinely believes in what he said and the bike DID feel good, and there WAS improvements, and he IS optimistic to the bikes potential - fancy that huh? Why do we automatically consider it sucking up? That's the same thing out of the mouth of every other factory rider too.

Hayden is Honda's #1 right now, and they've been grooming him to be that way for 3 years now - I doubt he's going anywhere. It took years and years of whining from Biaggi to provoke what happened to him.

As far as being lucky - I think the comment was referring to the fact that he's on the factory Honda team - which is pretty much the aspiration of every grand prix racer (besides Rossi - been there done that), I think any rider would feel lucky to be in that position. Hayden himself has said so before. "Lucky" may not be the right word exactly - more like "Fortunate" to be on the Repsol team and have the oppurtunity he has. No belittlement at all to his obvious talent.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yeah Nicky is really good rider!! He does really well on qual days, but when it's time to race, he's there but not really.. I think he has a great chance to win next seaons races..

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think lucky is the right word. All he really had was a superbike title to his name (and a couple other minor titles) when he got his first FACTORY ride in motogp. There were many other riders equally qualified if not more qualified for the position. Edwards had two world superbike titles to his name, Bayliss had one, Biaggi had 4 250cc titles and a runner up, etc. So yeah he was lucky to get that ride. He was also lucky to KEEP the ride before the end of this season. I say this because Gibernau had two motogp runner-up titles before he even got a factory bike. Granted he did shit with it this year, but Hayden only really started coming on at the end of the season. I believe he signed his contract before then.

·
I sell money
1,550 Posts
from college athletes to MotoGP racers, people are not only hired on ability, but potential (including marketability). repsol saw an opportunity to bring in a young fresh american kid that had LOADS of potential and marketability... I think they hit a homerun with the hick! he's great on camera, posts great results, and works his ass off to get faster! what more could a sponsor/employer ask for? :thumbup

·
Registered
590 Posts
This is true, but it doesn't negate the point that he is lucky. Being the age he is and being from America are not talents or skills. There are many people that are these things, but the timing needs to align itself just right to attain a position at the top.

I'm not a Nicky hater either. He's lucky there was an opening on the team and that he fit the bill, skill had little to do with it judging from the pool that Honda could've picked from. Nicky also played his cards well, I think he was entertaining a job with Yami or Suzuki in GP when Honda was forced to either sign him or lose him. I say he is lucky because he easily could've ended up on a satellite team or have been kicked to a satellite team after his first three seasons.

·
I sell money
1,550 Posts
kriton12 said:
...but the timing needs to align itself just right to attain a position at the top.

Very true!!! So many things have to go right for something of that magnitude to work! :thumbup

Do you think maybe thats why I havent heard from Graves Yamaha yet regarding my 2006 contract??? I could start a rumor that M4 and attack are interested... and then play the "sign me or loose me" card!!! YEAH... the TIMING is all wrong... sounds like a bad break up line haha

·
Registered
520 Posts
Kriton I think you're missing the point

first off, I think an him winning the AMA title is different than others winning it. He came in, beat the crap out of Miladin (not just close, he molested him), and they saw that. Miladin is unstopable right now, and for someone to come in and be unstopable even against Miladin is sign that the person is legit.

Next, who fucking cares what Biaggi did, or what edwards did, or what baylis did. Look who's doing better in motoGP now? obviously they made an educated decision. They are all old, and at the top of their game, or maybe even slightly over the hill. Biaggi was a cherrypicker in 250 thats why he won wo many titles.

Look at hondas lineup. Hayden, milandri, pedrosa, stoner.......all young and the top riders today minus Rossi, and still have plenty of years left and lots to improve.

he's not lucky because his parents are american, or because they fucked 10 years before edwards's parents.

I think, if anything, Honda is lucky to have him. He sells bikes and thats the business they're in. If he went to Yamaha believe me people on this board would flip out just like they did when Rossi joined the team which is proof that he holds a high value in motpGP, whether he wins or not.

·
Woody Racing #409
1,311 Posts
ok I didn't mean he isn't good enough to have his spot I meant that he is lucky to have the job he has! He gets to race f'in motorcycles for a very good living while traveling all over the world and riding the best tracks ever built on the most awesome motorcycle to ever spin a wheel! He is a lucky bastard! I am a huge fan of nicky's I think he deserves to be there but come on how many people get a chance to live a life like that? thats lucky no matter how you look at it.

·
Stonecutter
12,010 Posts
Lucky or well earned and deserved? I might say 'Yeah that Hayden is a lucky mofo' but luck really doesn't have much to do with him being on a HRC Honda....

As for the original quote from Nicky, sounds like typical racer testing talk to me :shrug

·
Woody Racing #409
1,311 Posts
he is lucky in that he could have been born into a family that wouldn't let him have his first motorcycle or crashed and broken his neck earlier in life or tried to stick with dirt tracking or decided he wanted to be a dentist or something, who knows I'm just saying that there are a million riders in the world that have natural talent but 99% of them will never make it to professional racing at all, so I say nicky is lucky but definitely deserves to be where he is

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I think how Nicky got into his position is a combination of many variables, luck, diplomacy, politics, talent, network, money, skills, talent, professionalism.
Look at Hopkins, he has tons of talent, very young, and prolly has most thing that Nicky has except no Honda ride. If what Hopper says is true that he really wants to stay and develop the Suzuki then I think it isn't such a strategic move. Win races, improve your marketability, then talk about money to Suzuki again.

Back to Nicky, his game is getting better. I'm no professional but I do see that he changed his style this year. He isn't pushing as much but he is consistently following the front pack. And he did say he has to up his game next year. He knows what he was doing, in fact on his website, he mentioned he regretted not pushing when he was following Melandri at Valencia. I was watching the race live and I agreed with the commentators, he just wasn't pushing and playing mind games with Melandri. I didn't see him do a "Rossi" on Melandri. I do want Nicky to do well next year b/c 1) It'll be a long time before another strong American contender will come into play with solid factory support. 2) He better win if not Pedrosa will take over his job come 2007. 2006 will be a critical year for Nicky.

·
Rice Rocket
3,786 Posts
wow, too much reading for me to chime in....but i mostly agree w/ bentley....but then again, i didn't bother reading all the posts...

someone mentioned everyone dreams to be on a repsol honda....it appears biaggi and barros both didn't fair so well w/ their turns....and bayliss wasn't so hot, nor was shakey when he had a go...

anyhow, nicky is great, deserves to be where he's at...he's fast and he's marketable

·
Registered
590 Posts
Bentley said:
first off, I think an him winning the AMA title is different than others winning it. He came in, beat the crap out of Miladin (not just close, he molested him), and they saw that. Miladin is unstopable right now, and for someone to come in and be unstopable even against Miladin is sign that the person is legit.
Admittedly I'm hazy on this, but I thought Mladin was fighting some type of shoulder injury that year. Would Nicky still have won when he was at full strength, yeah most likely, but probably not as crushing. And I think another reason Mladin was crushing everyone this past year has to do in part with Suzuki having a kick ass bike.

Bentley said:
Next, who fucking cares what Biaggi did, or what edwards did, or what baylis did. Look who's doing better in motoGP now?
My point here was that there were many other riders capable of taking the second HRC slot. If you want to say Nicky got there on talent, well, these riders had equal or better talent at the time. Since contracts usually run two years he had plenty of time to develop on a satellite team just like Marco, Toni, Stoner, etc. Hell, wasn't Rossi on a satellite team when he first got into 500GP? To clock a top spot like that your first time out is lucky. I'm not saying Nicky doesn't deserve to be in MotoGP, nor am I saying he isn't deserving of his spot now. What I am saying is that he's been on a FACTORY bike for 3 years and has never been on a satellite bike. Compare him to Melandri who has spent the past 3 years on satellite machinery, who has equal talent.

Bentley said:
Look at hondas lineup. Hayden, milandri, pedrosa, stoner.......all young and the top riders today minus Rossi, and still have plenty of years left and lots to improve.
I am looking at the lineup, melandri - 3 years satellite team, started with tech 3 yami who sucked and worked his way up, presumably to the gresini factory spot, which he probably would still not have had Telefonica stayed. Stoner- satellite, Elias - Tech 3 satellite, now gresini satellite. All capable riders, all non-factory riders, that's my point. Pedrosa - first year in motogp, factory ride. These things don't happen very often, getting a factory spot your first time out, I don't think it even happened to rossi arguably the best rider of all time. When Hayden took his place in motogp is was on the second best bike/spot of the entire paddock, that's what I think is lucky.

There are many amazing racers who all have the skills to be in the top 1%, but these days talent alone is not enough to get you there. Unfortunately it's what sopnsors or markets you can bring with you. Ever wonder why there are so many italians and spaniards in gp series? If Spain wasn't such a huge market, Checca would've been booted long ago and Xaus would've never been in the series. Passport and sponsors make the difference of who goes where. Look at Chaz Davies, doing really great in 250GP, may never make it because he has to pony up 250 grand for a semi-factory bike so he has even a slim chance of making it to a podium.

With so few top spots to go around, you're lucky to grab one in your rookie year. And remember, hindsight is always 20-20.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts