R6 Message Net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Self-Proclaimed Noob
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've already identified the Yamaha tick on my 04 and am used to that light, fluttering sound. But about 300 miles ago I cleaned my air filter, changed my spark plugs, and put a bit of Chevron Techron concentrate in my fuel. For about the last 200 miles I've noticed this sort of... light, almost rattle/vacuum sound coming from the engine, at first i thought maybe I had a fairing bolt loose so i checked them all and nothing. Also, my heat shield seems to be securely in place as well. So I was cleaning my chain yesterday and rode the bike helmetless up and down my street in my subdivision a few times to dry the chain cleaner off before I put some fresh lube on it. As I NEVER do this, it did give me a chance to hear the engine really well and it seems to build as the RPM's rise and can be get fairly loud, to the point I can still hear it at about 5k RPMs over my D&D exhaust. However, the sound is not noticeably present when revving the engine in neutral sitting in the driveway.

So my concern is that I may have messed something up when disassembling/reassembling the bike for the service I recently did on it, like maybe didn't hook up one of the air hoses to the air box correctly. Or is this just the sound the bike normally makes with a clean air filter and I just never noticed it before cause mine had about 17k miles of junk in it? If you need more details to diagnose, just ask.

·
Registered
200 Posts
hi

i put a k/n filter from stock in mind and i did notice a sound change when giving it gas.... almost sounds like a leak..but its on there tight...

but thats all the experience i got..

lol sorry=0) love ya though
:hyper

·
Registered
136 Posts
I put a K&N cold air intake on my truck a few years ago and had a similar issue. There was this loud sucking sound coming from the engine especially on deccelaration. Come to find out it was normal, because there was no air box anymore and becuase the filter is so much better you can actually hear the engine sucking air. Not sure if it would happen on the bike, but I have had people ask if I had a turbo with how loud the sucking is at some RPM's.

·
Self-Proclaimed Noob
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well given the plethora of good thoughts (thanks to those who tried) I think I may have solved the issue... in part. I was driving home today and noticed my gauges were jumping a lot with each bump and so was nearly my entire front headlight/windscreen assembly. So I got home and sure enough the two bolts that mount the frame to the... what to call it... gauge/headlight mounting arm were both quite loose, which might explain the rattling. That and my lower right side (from the rider's perspective) inner plastic, the piece near the radiator/inside of the mid-fairing that's held on by push-in tacks instead of fairing bolts had only... 1 tack left and was probably vibrating/smacking around. So i pulled it out and tightened the bolts on the gauge arm and the rattling seems to be gone, though the suction sound still is there, but i'm just gonna consign that to the ram air and enjoy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.