R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installed 520 15/50 afam/did erv3 to my 03 r6...love it. thats all. good day.

·
Registered
886 Posts
15/50.. whats stock?

im thinking one tooth less in front stock rear.. sound good?

·
Registered
886 Posts
blueblur said:
16/48
one less in the front and two more in the rear.

puting 2 more in the back does what agian?

sorry i need to be educated by gearing on motorcycles

i wanna be able to slame 1st in a full tuck without the bike going to high up.. dont mind a litte but not alot..

what do u recommend?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
combatstang said:

i wanna be able to slame 1st in a full tuck without the bike going to high up.. dont mind a litte but not alot..

what do u recommend?
up in the rear = more acceleration, less top end.
down in the front = more acceleration, less top end

and a 520 chain weighs less so theres less non-rotational mass to pull, but they wear a little quicker.

I recommend clutch control for keeping the front down.

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
combatstang said:

what do u recommend?
Id suggest a 15/48 or 15/49, I run a 15/50 and I weigh 225 and riding up close to the tank and my wheel comes up fast, WOT is tough in 1st

·
Registered
886 Posts
i think im going to do 15 front and leave stock rear at 48

Will i feel any difference in acceleration with only one tooth less in the front?

only weigh 155

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
combatstang said:
i think im going to do 15 front and leave stock rear at 48

Will i feel any difference in acceleration with only one tooth less in the front?

only weigh 155
yes, you will feel a slight difference. you can even use your stock chain and rear sprocket. i

·
Registered
886 Posts
sleeperR6 said:
yes, you will feel a slight difference. you can even use your stock chain and rear sprocket. i

i just want to be able to still utalize 1st gear.. i dont want to give that up..

thats my fear... giving up 1st to a wheelie.. instead of hard acceleration

might go with 15/49 if someone can chime in with imput on it.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Looks like you want 15/48

You'll still feel a difference but 1st gear won't come up as fast if you had the 50 rear

·
Registered
128 Posts
i offered it to Combatstang first, but if he doesnt want it i have a brand new in box 15/48 520 conv kit with AFAM sprockets and DID chain that i bought from another board member. ill let it go for the same price i paid for it... $120 shipped. i bought it on an impulse and decided not to use it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
if im not mistaken, i think -1 in the front = +3 in the back. for example, if you go up 6 teeth in the back its the same as going down 2 teeth in the front.

·
Registered
663 Posts
whorepedo said:
if im not mistaken, i think -1 in the front = +3 in the back. for example, if you go up 6 teeth in the back its the same as going down 2 teeth in the front.
I've heard that same theory too... the -1 in front=+3 in back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
sparky said:
I've heard that same theory too... the -1 in front=+3 in back.
For the most part, that theory is correct, although it depends on your particular sprockets. It's all a ratio thing, if you're running 16/48, then yes, that is exactly 3. However if you're running 15/50, that's a 3.33 ratio, meaning it is actually like 3 and a third.

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
-1 in front > +3 in back

i think

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Scott_R6 said:
Id suggest a 15/48 or 15/49, I run a 15/50 and I weigh 225 and riding up close to the tank and my wheel comes up fast, WOT is tough in 1st
Your wheel is probably coming 2 inches off the ground.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts