R6 Message Net banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
Bobby said:
Not just German cars. The corvette has been coming out of the factory with M1 as well as some Japanese sports cars.

Manufacturing tolerances are much tighter and modern synthetics are much better than when the old "change your oil every 3k miles" crap came out. I run 8-10k miles between oil changes in my 4runner (Castrol SynTec 5w30) and did 7k intervals in my M3 but changed the filter every 3.5k miles.

I use SynTec 5w40 (non-EC) in my bike with a M1-110 filter but I have 2 cases Mobil1 0w40 that I'll be using next season. I change every 2k miles but I think I might draw it out to 3k.
Yea i was just giving an example of bmw.. how do you change the filter without the doing the oil? you must be quick :lol...

I do it about 5k in my car give or take a bit and about 3k in my bike. Both mobil 1 just different weights, and a mobil filter for my bike and oem or puralator for my car.

Do you use the german castrol with group 4 contents or the normal group 3 stuff?

·
Registered
693 Posts
The oil filter for the M3 (and all BMW inline 6's) is in front of the engine in a housing that you pull out. Makes changing filters really easy w/o draining the oil (8qts!). I think that may have made it easier to go longer w/o a oil change.

I used the Group 3 stuff but it's been very good to me. I was one of the few guys that had a S52 motor and never burned oil. Some guys burn as much as a qt every 3k miles.

My 4runner takes about 7qts so I'm running that about 10k miles between oil changes and use OEM filters b/c I bought a case of 12 cheap. They're also highly recommended.

I just came across this oil article:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
ive read just about all the oil articles I could when I got bored at my other job, i was just wondering what other people have done...

My sisters 325 burned about 2 quarts in the first few thousand miles but now it seems to be doing ok... she has free scheduled maintenance so she gets it changed like every 15k miles :rolleyes I dont even think she had her first oil change...

I might switch to group 4 if I can find the castrol stuff... but i still have a few quarts of m1 15w50 for my bike left...

My car has the oil filter underneath in a more conventional location so id have to be real quick or loose roughly a quart, might as well replace it then =/ (roughly 4500 on the oil in the car and 2500 in the bike right now on mobil 1)

·
Registered
61 Posts
minig0d said:
ALWAYS use conventional oil during breakin period... and even though most new bikes don't even have breakins I would still err on the side of caution and go to 3k miles and then switch to synthetic... you are better off in the first 3k miles changing your oil at 1k intervals than changing to synthetic I promise you.... You will have plenty of engine life down the road to run synthetic and the factory fill on these bikes is conventional oil and many people run it the whole life of the bike so it cant be too bad...

I bought my bike (05) brand new about 3 months ago.... dealership did the first service at 700 miles and the oil came out nasty and gritty, replaced with dino... I did my second oil change at 2100 miles, oil once again came out extremely gritty and nasty... at 3k miles I'm going to get 2 oil filters and 3quarts of dino and 3 quarts of either mobil 1 or amsoil (still undecided) and going to do an oil change with the dino oil as a flush and then replace the filter again and fill with the synthetic...

I think this is a great way to go about it... but you have to consider yamaha recomends the first change at 600 i think it was (or was it even 500?) and then the next change not until 4,000 miles? I've already changed twice in half this interval and the oil come out with much more contaminants then i would ever have let stay in my crank case...

on the flip side there is possibly some evidence that changing oil too much can possibly be harmful but this hasn't been fully researched and I think that conventional wisdom that it's better to change it too much than not enough is better...

the reason you should use dino during breakin has been discussed time and time again and almost all mechanics will tell you to wait to switch to synthetic til around 3-6k miles... but I definantly wouldnt try it on my engine less than 3k.

Very few cars (bmw, ferrari, mercedes, etc. ) and I don't know of any bikes come factory filled with synthetic... but of course many people run synthetic after the fact... hope I didn't just write all this for nothing...
I changed my oil at 250 miles it was dirty plenty of metal particles. now changing it again at 650 miles 10/40. Will go synth at 1000 miles

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.