R6 Message Net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the motor out on Saturday to replace 2nd gear. It has had the 2nd gear pop out issue since I bought it over a year ago. Got motor back in Sunday morning. It started right up and ran great. I test rode it about 2-3 miles in my neighborhood. Left and rode about 4 miles. Ran fine. Engine cut off almost like I hit the kill switch. I pulled over and it started right back up, went another !/2 mile and it died again.
It will now only start if I hold it full throttle and it will only rev to idle speed. Let off the throttle it dies.
I checked the basics, now need advise. Bike is a 2000 R6

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have used the factory manual to check everything in the ignition and fuel systems. Everything seems to be OK. It then says to replace the CDI. Is there a way to check the CDI to verify it is truly bad? It is hard to spend $400-$600 to replace something that has not been tested and shown to be bad.
And no, I do not know someone with a bike like mine that I could swap CDIs to see if that is the problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
yes your bike is carbed it is not injected. they did not inject the R6 till 2003. so the things that i would check are... first the rectifer plug to make sure it is not burnt (this does not sound like your issue but its worth checking because you can fix if for next to nothing)... second make sure your idle screw is set right... third make sure you didn't pinch any tank vent tubes when you put the tank back on, cause if those are clogged or pinched then there will be a strong vacuum in your tank and will overwork your fuel pump and you will get no fuel to the bike... then lastly i would clean the carbs and resync them when you put it back together. hope this helps. let me know that happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bike has carburetors. I have had the tank on and off numerous times. I am sure the lines are not kinked and I have checked to make sure they are not clogged. I am getting spark and fuel as far as the inlet for the carbs. I even tried squirting a small amount of fuel into each carb. Still nothing. I'm starting to wonder if it really is the CDI. If the CDI were bad, shouldn't I have no spark?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts