R6 Message Net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Prodigal Son
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have some questions about MMP and I couldn't find anything in the search from people who have gone there for a race. I'm thinking about getting tickets to the WSBK event in 08 and then going to the IndyGP instead of Laguna (I'm coming from Detroit so it's just easier, even if much less desirable).

Has anyone gone to the AMA events at Miller yet? In the ticket information, they talk about a camper area, but it seems like it's a parking lot and I'm thinking that it is for "camper"-trailers. Is there any area there for actual camping (i.e. tents, sleeping bags, fires and booze) or will I have to get a room at a hotel nearby or in SLC? Which leads me to my next question.

How was traffic in and out of the event? Do you think it could handle a huge increase, as I assume will happen when the WSBK round comes next year?

Is any of the grandstand seating worthwhile? At both Laguna and Road ATL (the two races I've been to most frequently), I don't see any benefit at all to the grandstand seating.

This info and anything else someone has would be helpful. As I'm coming in from out of the area, I'd prefer to know everything possible ahead of time.

Thanks,
JoJo

·
Flyin Hawaiian
837 Posts
Wish I could be of some more help to ya I havent been. The ama Wsk races next seasion would be hell lot fun though.
Join up ask these guys alot of them have been up there
http://forums.mra-racing.org/index.php

·
Registered
553 Posts
To answer your questions, the camper parking they speak of if for actual RV's. It is positioned on a hill between turns 3-5 and there is also some in Witchcraft (which is a part of the WSBK track configuration). All of that parking is pretty much sold out, from what I have been told by folks at MMP.

However, there is day comping currently being offered at Deseret Peak Complex. It is held on the soccer fields that are part of the complex adjacent to MMP. I would imagine this will still be an option for the AMA/WSBK event next year.

The traffic... Umm, let's just say I'm not looking forward to THAT part of the event. I will most likely get an RV to park in the facility and just stay there for a week in the paddock.

Grandstand seating isn't really my thing. But, if you don't have a bike, scooter, golf cart then it may be worth while. The track in on something like 300+ acres and it is a LONG way around the place on my scooter, I wouldn't even imagine doing it on foot (when it's 100+ outside).

Hope this helps ya, I will try and get an answer for ya tomorrow on the camping. :thumbup

·
Prodigal Son
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gtidrivr said:
However, there is day comping currently being offered at Deseret Peak Complex. It is held on the soccer fields that are part of the complex adjacent to MMP. I would imagine this will still be an option for the AMA/WSBK event next year.
Thanks for your help, I'd be interested in what you can find out about that. I don't see it anywhere on their tickets site, so I'd like to know where or how to purchase a reservation.

cu360r6 sent me a PM and basically said the same as you about the layout of the track and, with it being so flat, said that grandstand seating might be worthwhile to get a better view. To those of you asking the same questions I am, cu360r6 recommended "the Tooele grandstands or the Clubhouse ones for the best action right in front of you."

Because of the potential traffic issue is the reason I'm so interested in the camping. As 360 said, it's not exactly the destination that Monterey is, but I still would never want to be caught in the first year traffic from a venue that doesn't realize the turnout they may get and doesn't have a serviceable traffic plan. I stayed at Toro Park the first year of the GP and we were getting brought in by bus. The bus driver stopped just inside the gate and told us he would be driving up to the top, but it would be faster to walk for those that were able. And it was. Carrying our coolers and chairs and wearing flip flops up that near-mountain isn't something I plan on repeating! (We've stayed at Archery ever since where the climb up the hill is at least manageable.) No hills at MMP that I know of, but if I stayed off-site, I would still worry about sitting in traffic for hours before and after each day of sitting out in the sun and "spectating" (a verb which can contain so many sub-actions!).

The last thing I hadn't really considered yet was the weather. Utah in June. Is it pretty much a guaranteed scorcher? Again, Laguna in '06, 115 in the shade, is not something I want to repeat. Especially if I'm camping so I have no place to escape the heat (I'm a cold weather lover/hot weather escaper - I moved from Florida to Detroit...on purpose - and that was about 96 straight hours of constant misery broken up by great racing). That would push me back towards having a hotel room to run back to, and I'd have to decide which I wanted more, escape from the heat or escape from the traffic.

Sorry, for all the writing, but I assume WSBK should be bringing plenty of new fans in, so this information will probably be in high demand once people start thinking about the details!

·
Registered
553 Posts
The view of the grandstand seats can be had by all. They are positioned on the top of hills that go on for quite a ways. You can take a folding chair and sit of top of one of the hills and have as good of a view. The only problem is it is not assigned seating, just first come first served so you may be standing a bit...

On the camping issue, I would never even consider watching racing for about 12 hours a day to return to a tent. Yes, it will more than likely be between 100-105 with about 4-6% humidity. There is nothing better at the end of those days than a nice cool shower in a a/c frigid hotel room.

·
Prodigal Son
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, I won't be at Laguna this year. At least it's not in the plans as of yet! I decided to go to Indy this year and give it a shot. Thankfully that's within driving distance. I had actually planned to cut out all westward travel this year, but I happened to snake a work trip out to SLC to coincide with WSBK!

We'll see, I hate tracks created on infields and nothing can compete with Laguna, so I may be back out there next year. We'll have to make this meet-up happen ONE of these years!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I will be there from Thursday till Monday.

My buddies wildcard was accepted fr WSBK, so we have quite a long weekend ahead of us!! Hope your trip turns out well. Feel free to stop by Scott Jensens garage and introduce yourself...:thumbup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts