R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
BIKE DROPPING WHORE
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im about to graduate in about a year now with a bachelors in physics...

i have always considered a career or stint in the military and im thinking about aviation...

i hear the marine corps is looking at the moment for wso (backseaters) for planes but im also considering airforce aviation... all in all i want to know what oportunities are available to me. my goal is to fly planes dont really care what kind but ofcourse would love fighters. i dont wear glasses and dont need them but i also am sure i dont have 20/20 vision so im considering paying for laser eye surgery out of my own pocket. im asking here first because i dont completely trust what the recruiters have to say as my friend who took a simular route got screwed out of some money through "verbal agreements". should i get everything in writing from the recruiters??? can they still deny me flight training even after that??? How hard is it to get into aviation with a college degree??? my ideal route would be to fly jets because after 8 years im thinking of a job at an airline company... anyone have experience with this kind of job??? getting this kind of job??? any input would be greatly appriciated. Thanks allot in advance :thumbup

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
from my experience and seeing what happens in the military, i would go looking at air national guard pilot slots, if you willing to move that is, or you if you have a base by you . if you have your degree, they can get you in a pilot spot maybe, its easier than active duty, but not easy. less than 1% of the air force it pilots, it is extremely competative career field. Sure everyone wants to fly jets, i mean after watching Top Gun a few times, i always joined the Navy lol,

The question is not if you wanna be a pilot here, but if you want to make the life changing choice of being in the military. You can fly jets in the civilian world, maybe not a F-16 but still. They best thing you can do, is look into everything, marines, airforce, navy,, army even has rotary wing aviation, then look guard, avtice, reserve, and see where that gets you. lots options. but go for it if thats what you wanna do

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
minicheese01 said:
The Air Force, Navy and the Marines all have helicopters too. Also, most of the civilian commercial jets have pilots that were trained by serving their time as pilots in the military.

cheese, my point was that the army does have aviation,,, i know the AF Navy and marines have rotary wing, but thanx for reminding everyone

·
Registered
284 Posts
Boost Junkie... I can give you whatever infiormation you are looking for as far as Army Rotary Wing aviation goes. Shoot me a PM if you want any info.

·
BIKE DROPPING WHORE
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
minicheese01 said:
^ The guy with 9 posts above me is a douche. Do it. Its very rewarding. The whole aviation community is tight, and the washout rates are extremely high for fighters. Ever think about helicopters or transports? There are more options to aviation than fighters. Good luck.
my thoughts exactly... fighters ofcourse would be my dream but i have no problems flying cargo which i think is a more realistic goal for me... rotory would be my second choice after cargo though because i wanna fly for airlines afterwards if i can get the chance and i think the experience with cargos would be better suited for getting a job in that field though i hear its really competitive

·
BIKE DROPPING WHORE
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UH60/R6 Pilot said:
Boost Junkie... I can give you whatever infiormation you are looking for as far as Army Rotary Wing aviation goes. Shoot me a PM if you want any info.
thanks allot ill definately take advantage i was actually gonna join the army for the longest time but that was for being a grunt but i dont see much career oportunities in this field afterwards

·
BIKE DROPPING WHORE
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FailureByDesign said:
The question is not if you wanna be a pilot here, but if you want to make the life changing choice of being in the military. You can fly jets in the civilian world, maybe not a F-16 but still. They best thing you can do, is look into everything, marines, airforce, navy,, army even has rotary wing aviation, then look guard, avtice, reserve, and see where that gets you. lots options. but go for it if thats what you wanna do
the military is definately something that ive wanted to pursue for a long time... probably since middle school... i did jrotc and stuff so im not completely foriegn to it though i would by no means consider myself well versed in the topic...

·
BIKE DROPPING WHORE
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
minicheese01 said:
The Air Force, Navy and the Marines all have helicopters too. Also, most of the civilian commercial jets have pilots that were trained by serving their time as pilots in the military.
wouldnt it be more suitable to fly jet planes instead of rotaries??? my ultimate goal is to do 8-12 years in the military and then go from there... i may stay in for the rest of my life or i may consider guard and work for airlines because it seems like a good career that id like to pursue in my civilian life... anyone here an airline pilot and know what it takes to be one???

·
Registered
284 Posts
It takes experience to get experience. It sounds crazy but it is the way aviation works. The fastest and easiet way to be behind the controls of an advanced aircraft is to go through army aviation. There are plenty of career opportunities after you have left the army. Also, you can get a C-12 transition through the army. (C-12 is a fixed wing aircraft, civilian model is similar to the king air 200). It is still not easy to break into army aviation but when you do it is the fastest way to get rated as an aviator. good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Look into the Marine Corps PLC (Platoon Leadership Class) program....the officer program I'm in.

The Marine Corps is the only branch that will guarantee you a pilot slot. Before you go to OCS or sign the dotted line you be locked in as a pilot. As long as I stay physically qualified I'll fly something. What I get will depend on my performance in flight school in P-cola. From my understanding the Marines will let you fly even if you don't have 20/20. I heard from my OSO that they are accepting guys with 20/20 correctable vision with contacts. Obviously if you are blind that won't help you out. Be careful with surgery because I'm not sure if its approved yet. I don't know everything but I'm sure some others on this board could comment about that area. Don't go through a recruiter because all they are looking for is to get quota for bodies at boot camp. Try and find an Officer Selection Office or equivalent for other branches.. They only deal with people trying to get in as an officer.

Also the though of airlines afterwards.....you should talk with my father who is a captain in the DC-9 for Northwest Airlines (Ex NAVY F-14 pilot). He's been working for them for 16 years and just took about a 50% paycut within the past 3 years with his pension on the line as well. The airline business will never be the same after 9-11 IMO. He kicks himself in the ass everyday knowing he got out right before the first Iraq war and now bores holes in the sky with a flying bus. I plan on doing 20 but that is far far away and I know when I have a family and all, that will be something I have to decide when the time comes.

If you have any question about the Marine Aviation program let me know.

Good Luck with whatever branch you go with!:thumbup

·
BIKE DROPPING WHORE
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you know the requirements for OCS in terms of physical requirements, education, background etc etc??? how hard is it at the present time to get accepted into marine corps ocs??? what are the long term commitments as in how many years you have to serve??? also is the money that you get paid enough to make ends meet??? ill essentially be coming out of school with no money and i need a place to stay and stuff like that even though i have no family to raise. i heard you need security clearance for ocs also is that hard to pass???

btw i heard you get a spinal tap for ocs physical how was that??? why do they do that???

·
Registered
182 Posts
LOL Don't belive everything you hear. I in no way have had a spinal tap! Phsyical requirments for OCS, if you can do about 15 pull ups (no cheating) 100 sit-ups within 2 mins and a 3 mile around 21 mins then you'll be alright. You just need to have a college education as with all branches of the military if you are looking to go officer side. I will say OCS would be the hardest 10-12 weeks of your life. Depending on where you are at in school, you would either do 2 six week increments or 1 ten week vacation at Quantico, VA.

Requirments...8 years for jets ONCE you get your wings. You are looking at 2 years to get your wings so 10 years total. I don't remember the req if you go props or helos. As for the money google military base pay and look at 0-1. That is your base pay before all the other stuff like base housing allowance, etc. You'll be living on base for the first 6 months as a 2nd LT at The Basic School (TBS) so you'll be able to save up some money. After TBS you can stay with on base housing for a pretty good deal or you can move off base and use the BHA to help with rent or whatever.

As for it being difficult to get into the program, that depends a lot on you. Whats your GPA, whats you major, what kind of shape you in? You will need a flight physical, take the ASTB, and kick ass on the PFT. There are probably a few more boards before this summer that you can try in get into. When I applied back in the day, I was applying for the last board and nation wide there were only 5 pilot slots left (for that year). The sooner you get your package together and send it in the better. They have a certain amount of slots for air, ground and law contracts and once they fill up...you would have to either take a contract other than what you want to start training to wait until next year and get on the first board to help your chances to get what you want.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Negative. If you are a senior you would go through OCC. That is the 10 week program. You would graduate this spring, attend OCS (10 weeks) then head off to TBS when the next slot is available. If you want the facts....look up the nearest OSO office and give them a call.

·
Registered
284 Posts
This whole business about not being guaranteed a "pilot slot" in other branches is simply untrue. There is a program called WOFT in the Army. WOFT stands for Warrant Officer Flight Training program. This is also knwon as the "High School to Flight School" program. It is not even necessary to have a degree, just a diploma. That's right boys and girls, if you are physically and mentally qualified (min. vision is 20/20 uncorrected for close vision, 20/50 correctable with lenses [glasses NOT contacts]) you will not ever have another job in the army unless you want to change it. As a Warrant Officer you are a pilot. Period. The army does allow the lasik surgery if it is completed by their Doc's. As for being authorized to wear contact lenses in a military aircraft, I know for a fact that it is against army regulation to do that for your own safety, during a fire they will melt to your eyes and your vision will be totally ruined, it stands to reason that even the marines are smart enough to not let you do that. Also, the medical qualification reference for the army is Army Regulation 40-501, and is unclassified so you can find it on google.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Be Careful...

You can PM me if you want more info about the jet side of aviation. I know a descent amount about the jet programs for the Navy and Air Force, and have 6 yrs experience w/ the Marine Corps (Harrier Pilot)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not that bright.....

Guess we haven't figured that one out. Contacts are allowed in the Corps....

Of course... if I'm on fire....I have the luxury to eject:thumbup

·
Registered
51 Posts
vision..

20/20 is not currently req'd, but you do need to be correctable. Don't think they'll accept the laser surgery going in, but not positive.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Like I stated in a previous post. I don't know exact details because I'm not there yet. This is the word I get through my OSO office. I didn't say you could wear contacts while flying just saying they are accepting guys that don't have perfect vision. With being guarantee a slot....I only know what the Navy and Marine Corps offers and what BS my OSO tells me LOL.

I will say the Navy screwed me over more than once when I tried to talk with them about flying. I was originally in Navy/Marine Corps ROTC and I was not guarantee anything. I was told I could get SWO, subs or air and that it really came down to class standing. I would be damn if I was going to spend four years in ROTC to end up driving a ship. Beside with in the year I realized it was a complete joke. I'd rather spend 12 weeks in Quantico in the mud. After I got out of ROTC thats when I heard about what the Corps offered and have been hooked for three years now...waiting to get commissioned in t-minus four months (one more semester of school).

bcwmarine....so you are flew the widow maker? Do you know when the JSF is going to hit the fleet? If I bust my ass in flight school to get my first pick, I might pick Harriers over the F-18 if that means getting into the JSF. But then again, I've always wanted to fly the F-18:thumbup I guess it also depends on the "need of the military" as well.

We just had a Harrier go down off the coast of Jacksonville within the past 2 weeks. He spent 6+ hours in the cold Atlantic before being picked up by a Coast Guard cutter.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts