R6 Message Net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a burn out to try to wear down the last bit of tread i had left to get a new one. Anyway after it was done the bike got so hot and over flowed most of the coolant. And then I noticed the chain had 2-3 inches of slack in it that it def didnt have before. Then When i pull in the clutch in first gear the whole bike shakes horribly near friction zone. Once I get to speed its fine but just in first gear. And I def noticed the slack in my clutch lever got waaaay tight and i had to loosen it again just to ride it. SO please analyze this and tell me what u think I did. I need to get it on the rd again. IM hoping all it is is the clutch plates are messed up or just a few of them are at least!

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
did you hold the clutch at all while doing your burnout?

if you did your clutch plates might be a little screwy. better check them out (you can pull off the clutch cover without draining oil.) you will need to replace ALL the friction plates, not just the few you think are bad. and if you really screwed up the pressure plates as well..

your looking at $160 with oil change.

:lol newb

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I changed the coolant today that was easy drained it and filled her back up according to specs. On the stands putting the bike into first it wont shake at all. Put it on the ground in first then it shakes untill i give it enough gas to drive off. Also I had to loosen the clutch knob all the way becuse after the burnout it the clutch lever was super tight. I have it loosened all the way out now just to ride it. Any explanaitons on why that might be. I dont know why the cable would have gotten tighter. Also the before the burnout was perfect about a inch of tolerance.. Now its like 3-4 inches. Did i just strech the chain out a bit or do u think I put so much torque on rear end it loosened the bolts in the back for chain. Also I checked the oil and it was good. I opened the filler cap and it def smelled like oil and something else. Possibly burn metal and oil it was a very odd smell like something wasnt right!

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
yup after i screwed up my burnout the clutch cable was tight as hell, smelled pretty bad too.

don't know about the shaking and dont know about the chain. but i do strongly believe you ruined your clutch.

even though you thought you had the lever out, there was possibly somewhere along the line where it was still slipping and since you did a long burnout it was like slipping the clutch for that long as well, hence burning your clutch up. the reason the cable got tighter was to accommodate for the loss of friction plate material, thats the only reason off the top of my head without thinking about it too hard right now.

tighten your chain up, but also make sure to check for loose/tight spots.

wash your bike, you will never believe how many little bolts, screws you find missing or loose just washing your bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have been looking at teh illistrated parts breakdowns and talking to a few mechanical engineer buddies of mine and they said the cable most likely got tight cuz the plates wore down alot or all the way in some spots. So your most likely exactly right.. I tigtened the chain tonight and i have about an inch or so tolerance which i belive is pretty good. Do you think it will be safe to drive the rest of the season like that. I mean If you replace the clutch u pretty much have to do the whole thing so it wears evenly or youll have problems down the rd fixing whatever is messed up at the time.. I was quoted around 250 for parts for clutch housing out. to the pressure plate Pretty much the whole assembly.. They dont sell clutch asseblys to where u can jsut drop most of it it in and just tigten on the clutch plate and pressure plate and springs and your good do they. Just if anyone knows where to get a cheap oem clutch let me know! I would like to do it my self if possible. It will teach me a lesson and would be pretty cool doing a clutch on my own. Are they pretty easy to do if you follow the service manual?

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
i will post up a how to shortly that pretty much explains everything.

look in the how to section in about 15 minutes.

you don't need pressure plates (unless you really screwed up) all you need to buy is new friction plates, gasket, oil and filter. should be around 200 total. go to your dealer to find all this stuff. look on yamaha-motor.com to find a dealer near your (ha that sounds like a commercial!) but these guys in my experience have the necessary parts in stock, especially yours being a newer bike.

don't let someone else do it this is far easier than it seems to be ass raped in labor.

as for the chain- as long as its an inch in several spots it is ok. no clue as to why it loosened like that. keep an eye out for it though through the rest of the season.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah today was riding it today just to wash her off and put in garage till i can fix it and anything between 6-8 grand would I think slip or not grab and have no power then above that rpm range would grab again and have power.This was all without applying the clutch at all and just rolling on throttle to go faster. That is all clutch problems correct? And it still smells funny like somthing is burnt.

Also is having a slipper clutch stock on the 06 going to differ from your link above on how to change a clutch. I noticed it was an older model.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet thanks man yeah that scared the hell out of me with that slipping out of gear only rolling on the throttle without clutch. I looked in my service manual and it looks pretty much the same. Im just worried about lining up evertying . Hopefully when I take the old plates out the basket and innter gear doesnt rotate on me. I might just mark the old ones with a marker or somtehing inside and out to make sure where everything is lining up. Yeah if I got just the clutch and friction plates I could prolly do it for 160ish myself. Thanks again!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is what she looked like when I took her apart. I got all the microscopic pieces out that broke off that I could see. Do you think it would be a problem if some got down into the oil.. I drained it before I took it apart and all but I was gonna put it all back to gether run it for like a few weeks and then change the oil again to see if i can flush out any of those loose particles with the new oil and whatnot.

The number 2 3 4 5 friction plates where totally in pieces!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts