R6 Message Net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - me and my best friend are looking at getting new 2008 R6's. But my mate is only 5'6 and can barely reach the ground when sitting on one. I've heard that you can lower the ride height about an inch or two but that it may impact on handling.
Has anyone had this done or offer their opinion or advice on what's best to do and not do? Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Its best to not lower the bike. It does change how it handles. I am also only 5'6 its just something you have to get used to. If you want to flat foot buy a harley.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
i always tell people this when they consider lowering a bike. how often are you standing with the bike with your feet on the ground compared to how often are you riding it with your feet on the pegs?

now do you really wanna lower it when your only going to be standing maybe 3% of the time you use it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
i always tell people this when they consider lowering a bike. how often are you standing with the bike with your feet on the ground compared to how often are you riding it with your feet on the pegs?

now do you really wanna lower it when your only going to be standing maybe 3% of the time you use it?
I guess it depends where you are:) I couldnt imagine riding in the city but some people do and its a lot of stop and go. I do know the pain of being short. I almost fell over in the pit lane one day on my bike. Once moving Im good:) When stopped well it can get funny at times.

·
Registered
359 Posts
lowering it does change the handling
u can look into shaving the seat to get a few inches off
im 5'3 and i have to tippy toe if i both of my feet are on the ground i usually keep one foot on peg and the other foot on the ground flat hope that helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 01 R6
I am 5 feet tall.
I originally had the bike lowered 3 inches, and the forks ... ehh - guessing
7mm (maybe way off there but they were adjusted too).
i was flat footed and knees bent.
However, eventually the back tire rubbed through the mud guard, and
after i took it off - started rubbing ont he back cowling.
I will agree on the handling .... holy roughness :(

A friend of mine recently raised the bike to the 1 inch slot
on the bike ... and re adjusted the forks ... Muy Bueno.
and i was affraid i wouldnt be able to stand or touch etc.
again - im 5 feet .... i have one foot flat and the other on the ball
of my foot. it works just fine. and it rides so much nicer now.

so i guess my advice from experience - lower it no more than an inch.
im a short shit .... and it works for me :thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts