R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
kaneda!
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which one do you use and for what purpose? When would you use red loctite? Do you usually cake it onto the thread or use sparingly? Sorry, i'm new to the loctite thing. I also noticed there is the gel type loctite and the loctite that is in a glue stick form. Is there a difference?

·
VSISAPUNKBITCH!
4,499 Posts
red is for the shit you never want to get off again
blue is for stuff you need secured, and need to get off again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
a little loctite goes a long way bro. not sure what bolts you are talking about on your ride, but post it up and we'll help ya out. joe

·
Eli, please ban winter
5,768 Posts
I've used the gel and the stick type and I love the stick type. SO easy to use it's silly. Really easy to just dab it on a bolt, cap it and toss it on the floor till you need it again. Of course the gel isn't hard to use either but the stick makes me feel like I'm in 2nd grade again :lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
tetsuo said:
is red very difficult to take off, once already applied?
It's extremely difficult to crack off a bolt with the red, it's for more 'permanent' applications. If you've got a bolt that you never want to take off again, ever, then use the red. If you've got a bolt that you want to secure but you don't want it to be permanent, then use the blue. Most people will choose blue for a bike since it requires periodic maintenance, for the screws to be unscrewed at some point.

·
Albert Hoffman
767 Posts
Blue threadlocker can be broken easily with tools.
Red threadlocker can be broken using heat, such as a torch.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
No need to loctite guys... all bolts that have to do with brakes/suspension/steering should be properly "safety wired"... Loc-tite is hack...

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
Loctite is critical on some things.

Red label is used for stuff that you don't quite want to weld. Studs for the mains, for example, or studs in the cushdrive.

Blue is for stuff that you may want to get off eventually, but don't want it vibrating loose, and will not be exposed to high temps. Does wonders in a car, if you're securing your sub box.

Wire is good stuff also, and used when you need an external visual indicator that something won't be coming out (like when you're trying to pass tech).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Don't use too much Loc-Tite because you can gum up the threads and and make it difficult to get proper torque settings.
I've seen threads ruined by caked up Loc-Tite.

Safety wire is definitely the best, but not necessary if you're not prepping your bike for the track.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Just say no to loctite. Most guys that I see use it, don't use it right anyway.

Tighten the fasteners on your bike correctly, and you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Just say no to loctite. Most guys that I see use it, don't use it right anyway.
Like I said above, and Luna touched on... Loc-Tite should NOT have to be used to lock up a thread... If you have the proper torque on the thread, it actually deforms the bolt thread into the hole thread, also called "bolt stretch"... Once it is at this point, you don't need Loc-Tite...

Also... after so many years of working on this stuff, you get used to what torque you should be applying to the bolt, and I can do it without a torque wrench... You can actually feel the bolt yielding and stretching...:thumbup

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
YamRZ350 said:
fjman said:
Loctite is critical on some things.

Red label is used for stuff that you don't quite want to weld. Studs for the mains, for example,

Huh?
I'm thinking of a typical american V8 motor on that, sorry... :)

There's very few places that red label loctite is a good idea, but that's one of them. Some bikes use a similar design, with bearing caps instead of splittable cases (and it's GREAT to work on them).

In short, there's few places red label loctite is good.

Purple is good in a lot of places (or was that green? small fastener stuff...) though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I believe in a touch of blue thread locker “for that extra chemical help”, in the words of engineers. Careful, torque specs might not be right anymore. Safety wire is usually reserved for race bikes and safety wire does not actually prevent the bolt form loosening. It prevents the bolt from falling out. If you ping a engineering forum, proper clamp load and tread locker are preferred over safety wire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts