R6 Message Net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've looked at all the glove threads, and nothing is clear to me yet as far as what gloves I should get this time.

I had the A*'s SP2's and they served me well for a couple years. But then they hardened up like crazy and the pinky finger tip seam ripped open for no apparent reason. Well, it was probably just because the leather was so damned rotted.

Anyway, I'm willing to spend up to about 200, and I want something that is both protective and has good articulation (for lack of a better word) in the fingers. I'd like to be able to feel through the gloves better than my old a*'s.

I'm looking at the Helds, the Taichi's, Kushitani's and A*'s Techs.

Any thoughts on what's the most protective, and most comfortable glove out there?

Thanks!

·
kaneda!
6,424 Posts
sp2 are crap. i had a pair of sp-1.. and loved them... too bad i wore them out. now i'm sportin some gs plus... and they are good so far. i hate breakin in gloves!!

buy them via ebay... you will get them so much cheaper.

·
Eli, please ban winter
5,768 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My old SP1's have seen better days and are very stiff till I get them warmed up. Probably should have used some leather conditioner or something but eh. I've looked around and the GP Techs are on my X-mas list. Other than that I thought I saw Randy had a deal on Technic SpeedStar gloves and those look nice.

·
2008 Triumph 675
7,056 Posts
Okay, I know people have budgets, but honest to god, you want good protection for your hands. Please don't put a price tag on them. There are gloves that are cheaper than others that provide great protection, and then there are expensive gloves that provide little protection. I've found that Dainese has started outsourcing to Vietnam, and let me tell you, I'm highly disappointed in what their high end gloves now offer! Out of all the gloves I've had and crashed in (Dainese T-Age, Dainese X-Metal, Spidi Penta, Joe Rocket Speedmaster, A*'s GP-Pro, A*'s GP Tech, and AGV Exocet), the Spidi Penta and A*'s GP Tech have been the best and held up the best in a crash. Dainese T-Age were bar none the best gloves, but are no longer being made.

The Dainese X-Metal are shit. Stay away from them. Not only do they offer little in the way of wrist protection, but the seams aren't what they used to be. I'm sure Rossi's gloves are all hand made (and NOT in Vietnam.) For $300 you would expect more than a name brand label.

The A*'s GP-Pro aren't very crash worthy. The seams come open too easily, although, my hands stayed protected.

The Joe Rocket Speedmaster gloves are complete and utter crap. Do not buy anything Joe Rocket.

Spidi Penta: These gloves offer the most protection out of any I have ever seen. Lots of armor all over the place, excellent protection on the nuckles, upper hand and wrist area. Ability to keep both pinky and ring finger together or leave them seperate. Takes a bit of time to wear in though. Great crash protection. No seams burst in a crash.

A*'s GP-Tech. Very uncormfortable at first. Tight fit on the fingers. Keeps pinky and ring finger together all the time. No seams burst in a crash.

·
Registered
196 Posts
had some SP-2...nice gloves

just got some GP Plus, havn;t rode with them yet... let you know some spring ... they feel nice though

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
I had a pair of A* GP Plus for like a week and wore em once as they were a little big, but damn they were nice gloves!!!!! cant wait to get em in the right size

·
Registered
670 Posts
Love my spidi composite 3 gloves, but it is time for some new ones. I have tried on a gazzillion gloves and the dork at cycle gear tried to push frank thomas gloves on me. Kangaroo, blah, blah, blah. The damn things felt like I had cement blocks on my hands, and they were huge! Anyway the wifey is getting me these for christmas.

If the image doesn't show they are Spidi Pentas in a nice blue! :woot

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
if u can find em, snatch up some:

racer- high end

highends seriously feel like a second skin. made in germany, cost around the same price as gp pros, kangaroo leather, keprotec-schoeller, racier than helds, larger carbonfiber knuckle (it covers almost the entire backhand).

i have the sp2s and gppros (made in taiwan) which feel like shite compared to highends.

...or held.

·
Registered
378 Posts
RS Taichi GP EVO gloves, followed by Kushitani GPR IV and V. +1 on Dainese. They've gone to crap and still charge outrageous prices for their apparel.:thumbdown

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was all set to try-out a pair of Kushitanis, when I stumbled across some info aobut Zylon, the material they are stitched with. It has had major failures in ballistics testing of bullet-proof vest utilizing the fiber, due to the degradation of the tensile strength of the fibers over a relatively short period of time, over 50% in some cases within a two-year period of wear. It is believed to be associated with moisture, which, in gloves runs very high.

Kushitani didn't really have an comment when I asked them about their own findings. They simply reiterated they were aware of the investigation findings, but still believed in the advantages of the product in their subjective analysis.

The Pentas do look pretty good to me for a number of reasons, but on the flip-side the Lee Parks method of minimal stitching is intriguing as well. BKS arguably makes the best gloves around, but they are almost unattainable at nearly $600 for a made-to-measure pair. The biggest difference in them being the soft armor. The Teknic Speedstars also look great for the price.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The Teknic's are definately worth looking at :thumbup

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Deimos said:
Can someone tell me if the A* SP-1's offer any sort of wrist protection?
They are a guantlet glove ... and have molded wrist starps/wrap to keep'em closed.
The "straps" as they call them do add an extra layer of padding to an extent.
But nothing out of the ordinary for a racing glove.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts