R6 Message Net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am getting ready for a 1k IronButt this weekend on my 2003 R6. In doing so, I replaced my spark plugs and when I put the bike back together, I forgot to install the plastic plate that goes above the spark plugs. It is called a heat protector plate, but it is small, thin and abs plastic so I am not sure how much heat it could protect. Either way, it was a pain to remove and I only want to tear everything down if it is an important piece.

For those not familiar with the piece, here are the instructions from the service manual. The 3rd line from the bottom is the item I am referring to. Also below is a picture of it.
----------------------------
CHECKING THE SPARK PLUGS
The following procedure applies to all of the
spark plugs.
1. Remove:
 rider seat
Refer to “SEATS”.
 fuel tank
Refer to “FUEL TANK”.
 air filter case
Refer to “AIR FILTER CASE”.
2. Remove:
 heat protector plate
 ignition coils
 spark plugs
----------------------------------

-----------------------------------
Do you think I can live without it (maybe install in next time I have it open) or should I bite the bullet and redo it? It would not take that long, but I am booked at work this week until I leave Friday for my ride and really don't have time to work on it.

Thanks
Gerald
San Antonio, TX

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn't know about this plate as the one on my bike (02 R6) has been lost. It was only when we did a plug change on my mates 02 & found he had one fitted, that I realized mine was missing. We put his back on but my bike runs fine without the plate so I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
here is how i see it...
you most likely don't need that thing at all. however these bikes react to the slightest changes. that is one thing i learned quick when i went from working on cars to working on bikes.

but if you just take the time to put it back in, you wouldn't have to even worry about it at all.

·
hawaii 808 RIDER
92 Posts
put it back on....the protector plate is to insulate the heat from heating up your airbox underneath...once your fan blows while riding on high temperature the hot air will blow into your airbox which may cause you to lose horsepower....but riding with out an protector plate wont hurt anything....

·
Self-Proclaimed Noob
274 Posts
i have no opinion on the issue but I will agree with you, that thing is not only a pain in the ass to get to, but a pain in the ass to put back in around all the cables properly and a big part of the reason I've vowed to sell the bike before I replace the plugs again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
put it back - do you really wanna be 500 miles away from home only to have some problem stem from not putting back a silly piece of abs plastic? Seriously - I know it's a little more complicated on the 2nd and 3rd gens, but my heat plate on my 1st gen only takes about 15 minutes to put back in - with a few cigs and ample breaks for swearing. Save yourself the worry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts