R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's coolant at least... it's white in color and it's splattered over some parts down on the lower left fairing. Is this normal? I am riding the bike pretty hard right now - practicing my second gear clutch wheelies. So the bike gets pretty hot (200ish, and up to 210 when I am not moving) - and I can hear the coolant (again, I think) boiling after I stop and turn the engine off.

Does the splattering mean there is some leakage? Or is it normal because I keep bringing the bike up on its rear wheel and then back down... over and over again?

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
I have the same thing, it happens

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
its battery acid...

its on the swingarm, the rear shock, subframe, maybe the chain guard, right?

Very common problem for 01-02 bikes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thrak, not on the rear shock, but a tiny bit on the chain guard, and mostly right around the coolant gauge. If this is still battery acid, what is causing the problem? Should I start looking at a new battery?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The coolant guage is down at the bottom of the right side's fairing... I don't mean the guages up near the controls. :)

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
if its not on your swingarm and rear shock then its not the battery leak.

seems like you just over heated once and it boiled over... nothing really to worry about... just make sure your level is ok

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, I'll try to grab some pictures tonight or tomorrow morning. But basically, the color of the dried liquid is like.. whitish, silverish. And the area is right here, outlined in green:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thrak, thing is, as I'm doing wheelies, I see more and more leakage. Is it really overheating and boiling over? My temperature doesn't rise above 215 for sure. I do hear it boiling though when I kill the engine.

Blasted guage is hella hard to read for some reason - all white, I can't tell if there's enough in there or not. I guess I need to unscrew the cover and take a closer look.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have you checked your front fork for any leaking fork oil? If you're doing wheelies, sometimes landing a wheelie down hard will break a seal in the fork causing a leak. I did this to mine last month. I had the same white stuff splatter (haha sorry :myfault) on my gearshift side fairing from the fork oil.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thrak said:
its battery acid...

its on the swingarm, the rear shock, subframe, maybe the chain guard, right?

Very common problem for 01-02 bikes.
My bike sat in the garage for about 3 weeks untill I took the battery off. I noticed a little bit of acid spilled on the chain. (I don't have a chain guard). I cleaned it off but there still seems to be a discoloration on one of the links, will this cause a problem in the near future?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
philyork said:
Have you checked your front fork for any leaking fork oil? If you're doing wheelies, sometimes landing a wheelie down hard will break a seal in the fork causing a leak. I did this to mine last month. I had the same white stuff splatter (haha sorry :myfault) on my gearshift side fairing from the fork oil.
Hmm good point. I'm kind of a newb at this - how do I check for busted seals in the fork? :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got an '05 fork on mine now... so it was pretty obvious-- it was leaking all over my caliper/brake housing and down the fork. On the older R6 forks, I think you'll have to look further up on the fork where the smaller part is (male end), it's silver. The seal is in the top part of the female part, the black part of the fork, where it meets the sivler part. If anything is leaking you'll be able to feel the oil on the silver part, if it's splattering on your plastic, it should be noticable somewhere. Just examine your fork, if you feel any sort of wet stuff on there, it's a leak. Otherwise, it should all be dry. Be careful about riding too, because you don't want that stuff getting onto your brake pads. Hope it's not a big problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out. Here's to hoping it is just coolant and not a busted fork seal. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts