R6 Message Net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it stays around 6 grand in 6th gear. find myself sometimes having to clutch and make sure it's in 6th. this is my first bike, i'm used to cars being at 3000 rpms at 80mph. am i paranoid. cause i think sometimes i smell clutch burning :) it get prettty warm on my calves at 70mph is that norml i wear leathr jacket and jeans, and of course a helmet.

am i shifting too much also i fnd myseelft going all the way to 6th gear doing 40mph in the city. what gear does everyone stay in?

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
gota love questions like this...

if you think about it, at 80mph in your car, you are prob at 1/2 of your revs. same thing for your bike. you are not revin to high.

·
Registered
404 Posts
at 70mph....i usually ride in 4th....sometimes even 3rd...to get some power out of the bike...70mph in sixth gear should only be used for cruising...you're not really riding your bike...

·
Banned
432 Posts
I have a 2001 with stock gearing.

If I am on the interstate, in 6th gear cruising at 70, my engine is turning about 6000 rpm.

Now the guys with aftermarket sprockets (diff. gear ratios) will show higher rpms at the same speed.

·
Registered
881 Posts
you fine man. RPM's are correct. 70 MPH in 6th is where I"m usually at when going down the highway.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Go take a riding course

·
Chase
906 Posts
Don't listen to these guys that are saying to rev it higher, sounds like you have only been riding for a few hundred miles so be safe. You are doing just fine for cruising.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Chaseme said:
Don't listen to these guys that are saying to rev it higher, sounds like you have only been riding for a few hundred miles so be safe. You are doing just fine for cruising.

I agree :beermug

cruisn is a good way to save gas... But drop it when your being chased by cops! :woot :rockon

·
Registered
588 Posts
6k in 6th gear going 70 yeah like everyone else said that's right for cruising. i bet if you had it in 5th gear going 70 your rpm's would be at 7000. and if in 4th they would be about 75-7600

·
Registered
78 Posts
WISE WORDS! Ride in whatever gear feels ideal for the conditions around you, on a track you would keep the revs above 8-9k to keep the power where you want it, opposite for the street if your crusing you dont want it reving its tits off! get used to riding the bike first you will get your head round it. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
No one answered his question about through town doing 45 he's in sixth...I find myself doing that also when I'm just cruising through town...Is it bad on the bike to lug it?

·
Registered
357 Posts
extremebase said:
No one answered his question about through town doing 45 he's in sixth...I find myself doing that also when I'm just cruising through town...Is it bad on the bike to lug it?
with gas prices at $45,000.99 a gallon i keep my bike in sixth alot. at 45 i keep it in fourth usually.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The engines are powerful but produce their power when revd high the most damage is caused if you labour the engine under load, you dont have to ride in sixth gear, woteva feels comfy if i was on the road doing 30 mph id be in 3rd or 4th, it wont feel nice on the motor accelerating from 4k.

·
Registered
724 Posts
hey I cruise in 6th gear at around 70-80mph.. there's nothing wrong with that.. If you want to go faster just down shift into 4th or 5th.. but be careful.. the R6 has alot of power at top end...

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey I cruise in 6th gear at around 70-80mph.. there's nothing wrong with that.. If you want to go faster just down shift into 4th or 5th.. but be careful.. the R6 has alot of power at top end...
hey man this is alex, just looking the point you were making, I always do 80 mph max in 6 gear, and wont go higher than that even if I try, I think you are right, probably if I do 5th or 4th gears exceeding 80 mph the bike would keep accelerating until it becomes stable at top speed and then its time to do 6th gear I guess to lower rpms.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts