R6 Message Net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'1 190lbs and haven't rode a bike before, but I am planning on taking the MSF class and using all the precautions. I heard things like the engine is too powerful for a beginner and that I'm better off with a 250cc engine. But I also heard that it is a good bike to start off on as well. My whole deal is I'm not looking to break the bike open and max it out at all. I'm a fairly responsible driver and I'm not looking to kill myself by any means. I'm just so attracted to this bike, I was just wondering if you guys will think I'll kill myself if i start out on it.

·
Self-Proclaimed Noob
274 Posts
it's a lot of temptation, i'll say that. I started with my current R6 as my first and I've had a few "whoa shit" moments, but nothing that wouldn't have happened on any other bike. bigger engines require more discipline, control, and restraint to be safe. Just have to be aware that a 600 vs. a 250 means the 6 will react more strongly to any changes in your throttle, so less room for error. Whatever you pick, be safe and ride smart!

·
Registered
25 Posts
About R6 or You

Well... i think it is ok to start with R6, but you have to understand the bike and understand how to ride it. Then you learn how to feel the bike, it sound like riding a horse. Then you know what go wrong.

See or learn how to ride, understand the bike then BEFORE you buy it, if u scare.

Cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
As said above you will have your oh shit moments but be careful and know the controls of the bike and just get on it and ride. My first bike ever is my 08 R6 and I learned by just getting on it and going. Practice with no cars around like a parking lot. Def. Get the 6 not worth buying a 250 then selling it for another bike. I already want an R1 lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bought an '05 2 weeks ago as my first bike and love it. I'm about 6'1 185 and in no way is it "too much bike". I rode a few dirt bikes before, nothing this big. It's not about the bike so much as the rider, be smart & careful and you'll be fine...at least thats what I'm hoping for.

·
Welcome to the GRINDHOUSE
140 Posts
I had never ridden a bike or even owned one...I got my R6 brand new in October 2007...just got out and rode a little here and a little there. I to have had my "OH SHIT" moments, but I'm guessing that is part of it...I have had people recommend reading "A Twist of the Wrist" as well...I bought "A Twist of the Wrist Volume II...so far it is great. Just take your time, and go with it...you'll be OK!!! The 08 is a sexy machine!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
you will crash within your first month very very stupid desion if you by one for you first bike since it sounds like you have never ridin a motorcycle ever. i would get something small. you can pick up a 250 ninja used for cheep and ride it for a few months to build your skills

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
i dont know bout a WILL crash but the chances are higher than with a 250 or 500

the R6 was my first bike and i haven't crashed. ::knock on wood::

you have to learn to respect the bike and know that you will NEVER be able to ride to what the bike is capable of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go ahead and get the R6 if YOU want the bike. I can't honestly say either way to get it or not since I've been riding motorcycles since I was four and riding a 600 dirt bike that I couldn't touch the ground with both feet at age 12. The first time I got on a 600 street was a katana at 16 years. So I'm trying to tell you is to do like the others say and respect the bike at all times. But at the same time make sure your life insurance is straight.

·
Registered
92 Posts
you will crash within your first month
sorry let me refrase that. it sounds a little harsh. you have a good chance of going down in some way. a little low side or a fast one. the mcf course doesnt teach you how to ride at speeds like 50+ mph, well when i took it it was all at like 15mph and one 30 mph lession. it will teach you however to take off and stop and a lot of slow speed riding. i have been riding dirt bikes since i was 4 1/2 and im 20 now. i got a 250 ninja when i was 15 1/2. i didnt realy want one but now im glad my dad made me get one and ride it for a couple years. i thought riding a street bike was like riding a dirt bike but its not the same. so starting out on a small slow bike that takes a mile and a half to go 100 would be a good bike to start on. i have seen a few people crash cause they bought bikes to big for them, i have a coustomer who cant ride by a gsxr 600 and i tought him how to ride from the ground up. he didnt even know what the clutch was. my good friend also bought a 07 gsxr 600 and he had some dirtbike experence,. he low sided his 2nd day as for the other guy hes low sided 3 times in the last 2 months all from mistakes in corners.

anyways that was kinda long :) its your money go by what you want 08 r6 is a sexy bike but they look like a fat chick on the ground

·
enjoyyoself
146 Posts
you'll be fine, my first bike was a gsxr750 a few yrs ago and all I have to put in is DONT RIDE ABOVE YOUR SKILL LEVEL! dont ride to impress people or keep up with people. The 06-08 r6's are also characteristically not as easy to ride on the street also, mainly bc the bike is very track orientated. but if YOU want it go get it! I dont have problems with mine on the street.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well what bike would u recommend? Like the bikes i really like are the Honda cbr 600, the r6 and the gx650 is pretty nice. the only 250 thast kinda ok is the ninja 250r but i dunno. Like if any of those arent too bad starting out id rather ride them but if im certainly going to fuck up id rather get on a 250r. Like i barley go 70 in my car so i dont think speeding is going to be a problem at all, i just dont wanan get hurt badly.

·
Self-Proclaimed Noob
274 Posts
speeding will eventually be a problem, once you taste the speed, you can't go back. like i said, if you have control and restraint, a 600 will not be a problem for you. shift at like 4500 RPMs all the time and stay out of the powerband and they can be pretty weak/tame bikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I meant the gsxr600, and i really dont think speed would be a prob at least not right now casue im pretty intimidated by riding a bike i think thats the reason i kinda wanan do it. Plus i think just cruising around would be awesome and i love that. Are their any models that are better then others and should i go new or used. What should I spend?

·
Self-Proclaimed Noob
274 Posts
I meant the gsxr600, and i really dont think speed would be a prob at least not right now casue im pretty intimidated by riding a bike i think thats the reason i kinda wanan do it. Plus i think just cruising around would be awesome and i love that. Are their any models that are better then others and should i go new or used. What should I spend?
used and i wouldn't spend a lot, as odds do favor you dropping/laying down/crashing your bike the most in the first year. so spend accordingly.

·
Self-Proclaimed Noob
274 Posts
oh, one important thing to consider is insurance! buying anything below a 600cc supersport will save you tons on insurance, especially if you want comprehensive (which you will if you take a loan out). I didn't look into that and when the bank told me i needed to have full coverage on the bike and i saw the $900+ price tag... it nearly kept me from getting my R6. thankfully my dad has a 500cc Buell and we switched them around on the primary driver so it's all good. But it's amazing how much more insurance you'll pay on an R6 vs. a Ninja 250R

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
i would stick with anything under 5k for your first bike. just my :2cents

for my bank anything under $5k they don't care what you do as far as insurance. :shrug

talk to your bank and call around some insurance companies before you get yourself hyped up for something and then realize you can't afford it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Basically, appreciate the concern that the above posters have shown but utlimately the decision rests with you. All I can say is imo, it depends on your maturity level really. If you are a responsible individual who is level headed and not easily suaded by the pressure from others to race or show off, you should be okay. Understand that the bike is a tool that when used correctly and with patience and humbleness of it's power, will reward you 10 fold but also understand that if used carelessly and with reckless abandon, will bite you and hard, like any tool will. NEVER become complacent and keep your head on a swivel. Being a bike owner is like being a gun owner, it boils down to being a responsible owner, period. Most bikes, be it a 250, 500, 600, whatever, will do speeds well capable of causing serious injury or even death, some just get there quicker than others and allow less room for error. If you do some soul searching, being completely honest with yourself, and still feel that this is something you want to pursue than go for it,a nd have fun! Just make sure to be responsible, which includes taking the MSF course, riding with the appropriate gear AT ALL TIMES, no tshirt and shorts for gods sake, and riding with an appreciation for the power you now control, you'll do fine. As for insurance, I'm 29, married, never had an accident or ticket and for an '08, my insurance was $220.00 every six months or $33.00 a month

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.