R6 Message Net banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I'm looking for insurance now (another step in me hopefully getting a bike soon) and am amazed at the difference in insurance costs from company to company.

First my background...35, zero tickets or accidents ever.

Right now we have Pemco insurance for both our cars, homeowners, and life insurance. They dont offer motorcycle insurance, they do it thru Progressive. Their quote to me was 138/month. Gotta be f'n kiddin me.

Called State Farm. Their quote to me for motorcycle insurance only (without any cars) was 150/month. But if they insured my other two cars along with it the cost comes down to 23/month! Thats full coverage on all of them. Talk about a difference!

So now I'm looking into possibly doing a switch. But let me say, insurance is a crock. Obviously vital to have, but seems like a form of extortion.

·
Self-Proclaimed Noob
274 Posts
Indeed. Insurance costs almost kept me from getting a bike. Thankfully I was still at home so my dad and I "swapped" bikes for insurance purposes. It's amazing how you can knock off 75% of the cost by having a Buell Blast fully insured instead of an R6. But yeah, some companies are rediculous, though they back off a bit after you have a year or so under your belt and if you have MSF courses in the last 3 years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So ive been reading a a few said progressive is bad..just wondering why? I just got my motorcycle insurance through them and its $33 a month and Im 20 but with no accidents or tickets. It includes everything besides collision, i should pay if i am dumb and drop it. Also its a 2005 r6.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For some stupid reason they don't give that much of a discount if you have more than one vehicle through them, they will however give you a good cut if you take a riders safety course. go figure. i went through the local community college for the course but as far as i know information on that can be found at www.msf-usa.org the course is a bit pricey but if you are a first time rider it is quite good. they cover all the written and driving tests so all you have to do at the dmv is get your endorsement.

·
www.frontiercycle.com
165 Posts
I guess I will be the guy who has to disagree with the OP. I have my 2003 R6 fully paid for(bought used from private party). It cost me a whole 2700. That was a clean title bike with a few scuffs and a small dent in the tank from where the owner dropped it. He also threw in a spare chain, gloves, a helmet(I know...I don't use it), and delivered it to my place about 40 miles away since I didn't feel safe riding it that far unlicensed. I had looked at insurance before I bought the bike. The CHEAPEST insurance I could get was through Progressive. I bought liability. I pay $269 a year. If I had wanted to get full coverage, it would have been almost $1800 a year. That is with $100 deductibles. At that cost, in two years, I can buy another bike in two years with just the money I have saved. As for my driving record, it is clean. I got one ticket for speeding in my car about 2 weeks after I bought the bike. That does not raise the rates for me, as you need two tickets for your rates to skyrocket. My rates are so high because I am only 20 years old.

In the end, I don't think you should tell people it is wrong to not have full coverage. Sometimes, it is just more reasonable to have liability.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you should have ins. on your bike in case you have a wreck or it gets stolen when you are paying on it also gap ins. It sucks up here cause they rape you in the dealer ship then you lose two grand when you drive it off the lot. Comma but I have droped my bike multiple times and have never filed a calim on it because its not worth it. Ins goes up and the part wont cost as much as the deductible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
where to get nice fashionable shoes ?

Welcome to www.kukuzone.com, our company is one of the leading foreign trade company, we have much experience on this line,fresh

and famous products for sale,eg;Nike Air Force one, Nike Dunk,EDhardy fashion...
Honest business,Best quality,Reasonable price,Safe and fast delivery " is always our principle. Your enquires will always be in

our attention. Your satisfaction is our pleasure and honor. We can provide a lower and competitive price (The price include

shopping fees).
Enjoy your shopping on kukuzone.com
http://www.kukuzone.com/

MSN:[email protected]
Gmail:[email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are very right that many of the people once buy the bike or any vehicle then they are not sure of its total costs so they purchase with limited and full insurance irrespective of their affordability range. when they actually come to the situation they get shocked and tense. Your suggestion is really worthy that first analyze the full situation then invest money.

·
OKLAHOMA's Finest
39 Posts
my bike is paid for and i got health insurance but full coverage for myself is 2700 dollars a year as much as i paid for the damn bike. financed bike yes full coverage is needed.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an idea but maybe we can post links for the new/possible riders. I am researching insurance rates now and i find them to be alot higher than what i expected. anyways just thought it would be a good resource for people, if they had a way to check out what companies other riders are using.

jobs in san antonio tx
silk hosiery

·
oh yeah
733 Posts
check dairyland motorcycle insurance. beat Progressive for me by almost a grand (high rider coverage) only problem, unless youre high risk they dont do car insurance oh well, 100$ a month isnt bad

·
Big Pussy
418 Posts
ditto - You would be surprised by the amount of people (mostly young) who do not have insurance coverage or even a cycle endorsement
I (for one) am actually not. Gauging from the number of unwed teenage mothers in my area (at least the one's with motorcycles), Ruenin's comments about screwing without a condom aren't that far off....

Seriously people. Set up your life to provide for your basic needs before having a kid or buying a motorcycle.

Shit. When did I turn into my grandpa?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Medical payments are important... Believe it or not most insurances dont even cover the Ambulance ride if its a motorcycle accident.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is all too true, I had a buddy that bought a gixxer and had only liability 4 months later it was stolen from his apartment in the middle of the night and all the cops ended up finding was the frame...moral of the story, paying for a bike you can't ride or don't have anymore is a lot more expensive than paying the insurance...and get your endorsement...in the state of Ohio in 2005 (I don't know if it's changed) the max. penalty for temp violation was 1000 dollar fine and 6 months in the can, if you can't pass the test you don't need to be on a bike...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Excellent post... I am not a newbie rider but know I felt at that age.
At my age , 43 and with no moving violations in 10 years full coverage
is cheap through USAA. But I am an exception..
A little side note.. USAA does not offer disability for MI in its package.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts