R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy has a r6 yamaha put on a yamaha frame slider.. he went down .. not a huge crash

but he fell

and the slider just snaped off..and the bolt is still in there.. the slider just ripped off

because of this the bike is messed up and the fairings are scratched.. if the slider didnt snap off.. none of this would of happened

can he do anything..

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
combatstang said:
because of this the bike is messed up and the fairings are scratched.. if the slider didnt snap off.. none of this would of happened
Sounds like it was because he crashed, but what do I know? :lol

Get in there with an e-z out and get that bolt out. Hopefully he didnt do anything stupid like put loctite on it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That happened to me too. The slider just exploded when i hit the pavement. I think it was suppose to do that ( take the impact of the fall instead of the bike taking it ) these sliders werent cheap either ~$100. I could be wrong though

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the frame slider just fell off.. with the bolt in

yamaha installed it

it was a Yamaha brand slider, he ordered it thru them

if it did its job it wouldnt of just fell of , and it would of SAVED HIS PLASTICS..

with the intutive racing sliders i have, when i went down, they got shaved down, and saved all my plastics..

those sliders didnt do its job. in my opinon.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Yamaha couldnt have installed it...

Maybe your Yamaha DEALER installed... but I doubt complaining to them will do anything.

Are you asking if you can sue or something? :wtf

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
StonedChemist said:
That happened to me too. The slider just exploded when i hit the pavement. I think it was suppose to do that ( take the impact of the fall instead of the bike taking it ) these sliders werent cheap either ~$100. I could be wrong though
No, sliders are NOT intended to absorb impact energy by snapping off or fragmenting. They are designed to deform a bit and thus absorb some of the impact energy, but they are supposed to stay intact and keep the bike off the ground and allow it to slide. That's why they're called sliders...if they were designed to explode or frag, they'd be called Frame 'Sploders or Frame Fraggers

100 bucks for frame sliders? You got had. Intuitive sliders are what I use, I think I paid 160 for all 7 of my sliders (bar end, frame, swing arm and clutch). The frame/swing arm sliders performed flawlessly when I low-sided, saved the plastics completely.

There's no such thing as a Yamaha-brand slider. Someone else told me that he had "Suzuki-brand" sliders for his new SV650, which I don't think is true. Likely as Thrak said, a dealership installed them and they're one of the cheaper brands.

*edit* Oh, and to answer the initial question of whether you can do anything as far as compensation for the slider not staying intact and causing additional damage, I really don't think tehre's anything you can do unless you spend far more money than the cost of just repairing the bike. You won't have better lawyers than a dealership or a parts manufacturer, and you won't be able to prove beyond a doubt that it wasn't the fault of an overtightened bolt, undertightened bolt, failure due to "a type/direction of crash not accounted for in component strength analysis", or whether it wasn't one of the very small precentage of inevitably defective product that every company is bound to make.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can order frame sliders in the Yamaha catalog. Suzuki has the same deal going, you can order frame sliders through their catalog as well. I'd put money on it that both manufacturers outsource the sliders.

Framesliders are designed to protect the frame and not much else. if you went down and didn't see much, if any damage on the plastics, you got lucky. Where insurance is concerned, once the frame is scratched, even a minute scratch, the bike is often written off.

Best frame sliders I've used so far are from Vortex. Use the metal base and don't bother buying the Delrin sliders because they'll just bend the bolt that holds the metal portion in place.

·
aka The O'Reilly Factor
1,595 Posts
sounds like a cheap slider to me. i have intuitives as well and they have worked every time, as i still have the original plastics on after 3 crashes.

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
They are called frame sliders, not plastics sliders. They are meant to protect the frame, not the plastics. It just so happens they do help out with protecting plastics sometimes.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yeah Frame sliders are to protect the frame.. If it protected the plastic, then that good stuff. Since I don't ride fast on the street, I have them on.. But when I go to TD I take them off. Frame slider are known to damage the frame then to save it!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
thats not much detail...

·
Registered
989 Posts
combatstang said:
less than 15mph

invest in a cage if you want to prevent damage from a fall.

+1 on protecting the frame

·
Registered
440 Posts
stphnman20 said:
Yeah Frame sliders are to protect the frame.. If it protected the plastic, then that good stuff. Since I don't ride fast on the street, I have them on.. But when I go to TD I take them off. Frame slider are known to damage the frame then to save it!!
:withstupi

This is why I dont have them on my bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts