R6 Message Net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have got the lines installed but when I try and bleed the brakes to refill from the resevoir I get nothing. What gives?

·
Converted to the Darkside
175 Posts
its easier with 2 people, but here goes. get some small diameter CLEAR hose to fit on that nipple on the caliper. start on one side. brake fluid will absolutely destroy any paint in a second, so don't get any sprayed around. put the other end of the hose in some kind of container, old beer can, etc.

1. top up that little reservoir on the clip on by your master.
2. get your friend to squeeze and hold the brake on as hard as he/she can.
3. open the nipple (nut) on the caliper, using an appropriate open ended wrench. when this happens the brake lever will go into the grip (no pressure) and fluid will eventually start coming out.
4. close the nut on the bottom.
5. release the brake lever.

that's it, except you just repeat that above process over and over until you're done. use dot4 brake fluid (double check in manual). after a little while of opening and closing, you'll start to get fluid out. keep going.the fluid will come out with a bit of air and spit and splash out. when it gets to the point where nothing but fluid comes out, do the other caliper, and you're done.

i'd also recommend tying a rope around the grip and the brake lever, so its basically on hard enough to pull a stoppie. leave it like this overnight, so any air left in the lines will get compressed, form a bubble, and go up to the reservoir. in the morning, untie the knot, check to make sure you've got a good fluid level in that reservoir, and you're done.

a little wrist band around your reservoir will give you that racer look, and also help prevent the brake fluid from braking down as quick as it would if it were in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
also, never let the reservoir get empty. you'll be sucking air back into the system by doing that and you'll have start all over. bleed from the master cylinder as well. you'd be surprised how much air gets trapped there.

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
the above two posts are right on, it can be time consuming but just keep at and as said DO NOT let the brake fluid get on painted surfaces, especially the fairings

·
Registered
588 Posts
you'll also want to start from the caliper furtherest from the resivor. so start in the left side.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Yes, yes, and yes. It will help out 100% if you can get someone to help you. never let the reservoir get empty, and always bleed the master cylinder first.

PS - Wear protective gloves. You don't want brake fluid leaching into your epidermis if you can help it.

·
Garage Queen R6
1,801 Posts
I think he knows how to bleed the brakes. But he's talking about nothing coming out when your first install brake lines. Since the lines and master cylinder and resevoir are empty, it'll be difficult to get the fluid to start flowing. You can keep pumping and pumping till it eventually does, or you can get a vacuum bleeder which will fill the lines much faster.

·
Converted to the Darkside
175 Posts
powerban said:
I think he knows how to bleed the brakes. But he's talking about nothing coming out when your first install brake lines. Since the lines and master cylinder and resevoir are empty, it'll be difficult to get the fluid to start flowing. You can keep pumping and pumping till it eventually does, or you can get a vacuum bleeder which will fill the lines much faster.
Aren't you talking about bleeding the brakes too?

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
powerban said:
and YOUR describing bleeding brakes too Captain Obvious:kickinnut

·
student/pilot/boyfriend:(
3,174 Posts
asphaltpilot said:
Yes, yes, and yes. It will help out 100% if you can get someone to help you. never let the reservoir get empty, and always bleed the master cylinder first.

PS - Wear protective gloves. You don't want brake fluid leaching into your epidermis if you can help it.
oh c'mon I use brake fluid on my zits when they pop up :) kills em dead

·
Registered
403 Posts
You need to bleed the master cyl. first.

Pump, hold, crack the banjo bolt at the master, tighten banjo back up, release. repeat.

After the master is bled several times, you will begin to get lever feel and can move to the calipers.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I had the same problem when I installed my SS lines... i pumped the brake like 1000 times and could never build any pressure... went to autozone and spent $30 to get a mityvac imitation thing (has a lifetime warranty) and saved the trouble of pumping like crazy... I prefer bleeding normally with just the brake lever but this was needed to start off the stainless lines...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts