R6 Message Net banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Sorry for the stupid question but what is a spanner wrench??? Im going to be doing this but I need to run to the store and get some tools. I think i'll need a 36MM for the top nut... and someone mentioned a spanner wrench to actually tighten the bearing... can someone post a picture please? I would like to buy one and make one trip to the hardware store. Thanks......

Also, if i raise the front using a Pit Bull stand where it lifts from the steering stem and not the forks, would that be ok? thanks.

It sucks not having tools...

·
Stonecutter
12,010 Posts
As long as you unload the front tire you are good ie, no weight on the front suspension.

A spanner wrench is a hook-like wrench recommended to tighten the bearings. There is a diagram on page 1-10 of the 03 service manual showing one. It isnt really needed though, a pair of channel locks will suffice. Just throw a shop rag over the top nut so you keep it all purdy. :thumbup

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
here's what spanners look like. i've used them when i worked on hydraulics and heavy equip. they're mainly used for removing caps off hydraulic cylinders.

i got my set from harbor freight for $15.99 + shipping. here's the link: spanner set

·
Registered
61 Posts
:umm I did this just now and when I push/pull on the handlebars in the garage I can hear a clicking noise. I assume I didn't tighten down the nut enough? :sick

·
Registered
48 Posts
the top nut or the locks?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Still have not been able to fix this at all because I don't know what size Spanner wrench I need. The one listed in the Yamaha service manual is $50!!

·
I will not eat cat poop!
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Here's something that should work. It is a tool commonly used to adjust coil-over suspensions on cars. Same principle, though......

Adjustable spanner wrench.....

There's also a lot of deals on eBay is you run a search for "spanner wrench."

Good luck.

·
Registered
674 Posts
eh, just finished the R1 fork conversion awhile ago, and now im stuck with the same problem....I have 2 questions

1. So you guys were saying that when you tighten up the first lock nut, the bike needs to be on the ground? When I tightened mine up, the bike was still lifted on the jack stand....I think that might be the reason its making the clunking noise now

2. The torque spec for the top triple nut is________? I called Yamaha and they told me 82ft/lbs.....Im not sure if that is right though, as I thought that could also be the reason for the the noise up front.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Well I just did this and I am still havin the same problem. I only notice a clicking if I sit at the light and let the clutch out and then back in and I start to brake quickly with my fingers. Kinda like shooting a paintball gun. I can hear it clickin like a mother and its still doin it. I tightened the first nut as much as I could with my wrench but man that was a pain. Any ideas?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Isn't there a spanner wrench included with your tool kit, the one for the rear suspension? :confused:
Ok so now wich is it... tire off the ground or tire on the ground for tightening the main nut? :confused:

ALSO - a coworker told me that I should tighten my upper & lower head nuts after my recent tank slapper I had just in case, which I thought wasn't a bad idea... is there a lower nut I need to worry about somewhere under the lower triple? or am I safe just getting the upper?
Ok, last part I swear... so I tighten the main nut real good, then back it off all the way then tighten by hand & finish about 1/4 turn (or so) more? Thanx guys :worship

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
lilhelmet said:
Isn't there a spanner wrench included with your tool kit, the one for the rear suspension? :confused:
Ok so now wich is it... tire off the ground or tire on the ground for tightening the main nut? :confused:

ALSO - a coworker told me that I should tighten my upper & lower head nuts after my recent tank slapper I had just in case, which I thought wasn't a bad idea... is there a lower nut I need to worry about somewhere under the lower triple? or am I safe just getting the upper?
Ok, last part I swear... so I tighten the main nut real good, then back it off all the way then tighten by hand & finish about 1/4 turn (or so) more? Thanx guys :worship
The Spanner wrench is included in the tool kit. However, the size is different so I dont' think you can use it...

Tire off the ground or so that the forks are not being pushed in.. does that make sense?

In regard to the lower nut when you take the triple tree off there are actually two nuts right? so maybe he's talkin abou that? when I did this on my bike I followed it to the T and everything came out fine.........

·
Registered
342 Posts
Check ... and Check... :worship :cheers

as far as the other nut he was talking about I'm not really sure he's bike specific on that. He made it seem like there was one on the under side of the head, holding the lower triple clamp up or on ...r-somethin'... though he doesn't own an R6... nor do I think he ever has.

·
Banned
408 Posts
I just did this, just maintenance wise, such a freakin good write up! I would buy you a :beermug, both of you if you ever come to houston! Thanks, she feels alot better now lubed up and tight :thumbup MUHAHAHA

·
Registered
32 Posts
Doing this in the mornin'. I just installed some heavy duty hooks in my garage to winch her up by, and all looks well. Not too sure about this "spanner wrench", which I don't have, but I'm sure I'll figure something out when I come to it (see it) or I'll head out and buy one.

I've been told emphatically not to overtighten. Is this because the steering won't turn or because you can damage something?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Damn nice write up's and pic's guys , only problem I have with how it was done in one of the pic's is the channel locks used to tighten the nut , nothing like using the right tool huh, keep tighting with channel locks and you'll ovel the nut ! which will leave you screwed. see the little notchs in the nut ? yea well they make a special tool just for tighting those kinds of nuts.

·
Registered
438 Posts
okay somebody with some experience needs to answer some of these questions, like

how much to tighten

will overtightening damage, or just be loose

and for gods sake is it tire on the ground or off (maybe ill just take most of the weight off and leave the tire just barely on the ground --- best of both worlds eh :thumbup)

41 - 60 of 68 Posts