R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These instructions are only valid for the OEM/other brand self-adjusting CCT. They can also be used as a general guideline to other bikes with the same CCT type.

1-take rigth side cowlings

2-unbolt the idle screw bracket

3-unscrew the CCT bolt (the one near the idle screw in the pic above)

3-take the big bolt of the rigth case cover off(use a large thing to do it, it's PLASTIC and a flat head screw driver migth damage it)

4-Now comes the first trick. Get your ratchet, put it on the bolt inside the case cover and turn the engine clockwise until you find the "hard" spot (turn it several times until you're positive you're on a compression stroke so it doesn't move). Let the ratchet there, don't take it off.

Now be CAREFULL

5-. Gently unbolt the CCT.

6-Gently start to taking the CCT out. Remember the ratchet still in place??look at it while you're removing the CCT, it CAN'T MOVE AT ALL. If it moves you might just jumped a tooth on the cam sprockets.

7-Check the gasket, mine didn't broke so it was still good.

8- Put the new CCT in place and bolt it.

9- Remove the metal thing that's holding the CCT spring with a plier.

10-Screw the plastic bolt on the right case cover.Be carefull not to overtighten it, it's plastic.

11-Screw the CCT bolt. Now be carefull because it's a steel bolt on an Al thread. Be even moe caucious because the thread is cutted in four places, do not overtighten it.

12-Screw the idle screw bracket

13-Cowlings on and ready to go.

© Copyright 2005 - R6Messagenet.com - All rights reserved.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
YAY!

Thank you so much. :)

I was a little confused :wtf with just the text directions, but with the pictures it makes it a lot easier.

I am going to buy the CCT this weekend and install it on Sunday or Monday.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Just installed my OEM CCT. The bike sounds good again.

TTretas thanks so much for the How-TO info.

The only part that was a little difficult was finding the compression stroke. but once I found it the rest was a piece of cake. From start to finish about 25 minutes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dont know what to do?

Dont know what to do,I heard a small ticking noise near that side of the bike, So I took it to the dealership I know the mech. there.He said it was the cct.I got one from parts went home put the new one in, but heres the thing the motor wont turn useing the socket to hold the gear in place. :confused:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
redR62004 said:
Dont know what to do,I heard a small ticking noise near that side of the bike, So I took it to the dealership I know the mech. there.He said it was the cct.I got one from parts went home put the new one in, but heres the thing the motor wont turn useing the socket to hold the gear in place. :confused:
Do you have the bike in gear??

·
Registered
160 Posts
the part is below from ronayers.com
this is for a 03 R6

art Number: 5SL-12210-10-00
Description: TENSIONER ASSY, CAM
Price: $58.70
Source: YAMAHA

·
Hi , How are ya
3,512 Posts
Yes over time it can wear out and not apply the proper amount of presure on the cam chain

·
Registered
95 Posts
i think mine is wore out i hear a rattling coming from the motor inbetween 3-4,000 rpm how many kms do these things usually last? I have 12,000 km on my bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
o crap i just read this and i already replaced mine and i just unblted it without thinking about the possibility of the chain jumping a tooth. how can i tell if it jumped a tooth?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts