R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed shortly after I installed my Vortex rearsets with a K&S brake switch that my brake light was staying due to the Vortex rearsets not having a return spring, I saw Graves had a spring but it cost $20, I made mine for $1.45:thumbup This is my first How-To so please work with me here, if I left anything out let me know, and the pics arent the greatest but you get the idea:wink

1. remove the cotter pin and the rest of the assembly there. youll want to loosen the jam nut before taking the pin out.

2. next remove the rearset brake braket mount.

3. heres the spring and washer I used, the spring was originally about 5" long and needed cut, I used a dremel. the large washer pictured here is to hold the spring in place and it goes on the bottom, the smaller washer keeps the spring from moving around, it fits perfectly inside the spring, I didnt get the sizes as this was a last minute How-To, Ill get the sizes up tomorrow.

4. after you have cut the spring to proper length (the length is up to you, mine is about 2") place it on the master cylinder with the cut end facing into the master cylinder.

5. now place the washer over the stud, placing the smaller washer on top of the larger washer. now thread the original nut back on, again how far you tighten the nut is a matter of preference to brake pedal height.

6. now thread the original mount on and lock the jam nut down, and put the retaining pin, washer and cotter pin in and your done. the pedal feel is awesome and my light no longer sticks on:thumbup

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bravo. Well done. :handclap Looks good, and looks like it should work quite well.

Just make sure that the cut end isn't digging into anything important.

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sean931 said:
Bravo. Well done. :handclap Looks good, and looks like it should work quite well.

Just make sure that the cut end isn't digging into anything important.
Thank You, I rounded the cut part with my dremel. should have mentioned

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chunk said:
Scott, have you got a pic of the brake light switch plumbed in? :)
I took one last night when I did the pics for this how-to but it turned out even worse than the pics above, Ill snap a better one tonight or tomorrow

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
blueblur said:
I just threw mine together. It was very easy to find a spring and washer....I was just looking in the wrong store :lol

Works great tho. Thanks for the write up :thumbup
nice!

·
Registered
948 Posts
looks like ill be doing this too... im interested in a picture of the brake light setup. I bought my bike with the vortex rear sets and he gave me the adapter switch thing which i havent had a minute to check out. As for now my rear brake doesnt activate the brake light which i dont like so ill have to do this soon too

·
Registered
239 Posts
What Size nut and spring are you guys using?? Ive got the brake lite switch coming in tomorrow

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DBlock06 said:
What Size nut and spring are you guys using?? Ive got the brake lite switch coming in tomorrow
the nut is already there, you will need a washer and the spring, which I dont have the size of right now. just go to the hardware store and size will be pretty obvious:hattip

·
Registered
239 Posts
Cool thanks man. Im headed to home depot right now and hopefully will be done by the superbowl. Haha

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eric, its been so long I totally forgot all about getting the spring and washer sizes. Im not off work till Friday Ill try to hit the hardware store and get those.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I thought I'd follow up with the spring I found that works!

I went to home depot and in their door section there were lots of springs. I'll attach pics of the ones I got. It came with 2 of the larger springs which are the ones that you cut down to length. I colored mine black.

Here it is installed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts