R6 Message Net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 1 beer project. Estimated time to complete is 10 minutes tops. This applies to the 05 but should be just about the same on all previous models....

What you will need:
- 10mm socket & wrench
- general purpose auto grease
- cable life tool & lube (http://www.protectall.com/cable_life.htm)
OR
any chain lube that also mentions cables on the bottle should work
OR
any 10w-30 motor oil (more dificult) (might help to have a syringe with this)
-eye protection

DO NOT USE WD40... wd40 doesn't last very long and when it starts to wear down it will leave your cable unprotected... people also say it attracts dirt to it which tends to be true with most lubricants... if you want to use WD40 to spray down into the cable first to clean it its a great solvent but I wouldn't use it as the final lubricant...

To do this we will be intrested in 2 areas of the bike... the area by the clutch lever and the area on the right side of the bike where the clutch cable attaches... shown here:

Step 1:
Notice the wire to the right of the arrow in the picture... that is your clutch cable... if you follow that cable behind the fairing you will notice a little dust boot that covers where the cable goes into the tube it slides in... pull that dust boot back a few inches... it just pulls back it doesnt twist...

Step 2:
Place some paper towels directly under where the dust boot WAS located to catch the lubricant that will drip down along the cable... now put on your eye protection...

Step 3:
We are now working on the clutch lever.... use the adjustment wheel to loosen the cable tension to the lever.... (I BELIEVE it is clockwise) here is the adjustment wheel:

Step 4:
Located on the bottom side of your clutch lever is a 10mm nut... use a ratchet to remove this nut:

Step 5:
Push the remaining bolt up and remove it from the lever...

Step 6:
Pull the clutch lever out of its perch (straight out toward the left side of the bike and a little towards the front)...

Step 7:
Rotate the clutch lever 90 degrees in relation to the cable and there is a slot that the cable goes through and will detach from the lever...

Step 8:
Remove the pivot from the clutch lever... it should just pop out of either side of the lever...:

here it is removed:

Step 9:
Use the cable life spray (or WD40 as a solvent to clean the inside walls of the hole where the pivot was... and both inner and outer walls of the pivot... and the screw that was removed that holds the clutch lever to the perch...

Step 10: lubricate the inner and outer sides of the pivot with general purpose auto grease (a qtip will probably help)... too much grease wont really hurt so grease it up and then put the pivot back into the lever... then put some grease into the hole and into the track where the cable usually rests.. .then set the assembly asside...

Step 11: Look at your cable lube tool.. it has a small hole on one side and a larger hole on the other... you want to push it onto the clutch cable so that the larger hole goes OVER the tube which it slides in... then push the loose end of the clutch cable up to the lube tool... and then tighten down the thumbscrews a little bit at a time each (turn one a turn or two and then the other a turn or two... if you dont do this you will see why i said to do it)... do this until its as tight as possible around the cable... your final result should look like this:

Step 12:
Place paper towels under the area you are working because I promise cable lube will drip everywhere... then insert the straw into the hole as shown below and slowly and gently depress the button on top of the aerosol can... if you press too hard cable lube WILL go flyin everywhere including in your eyes... (this is why I said eye protection)... so push slowly and gently and just allow the lubricant to flow... it will go through the tube the cable slides in and come out the other end onto the paper towels you previously put there... I would spray a decent amount to allow the lubricant to cary out any dirt particals that would have reached there... remove the lube tool and pull the clutch cable with your hand and work it in and out to help evenly apply the lube and work out loose dirt... Here is the assembly:

Step 13:
Clean up all the excess lube and reverse your steps to reassemble your clutch lever. Snug up the bolt... it should probably be around 15ft/lbs but I'm just guessing at that...

Step 14:
Replace the dust boot of the bottom side of the cable and clean the area up.

Step 15:
Spray a little of the cable lube on the moving parts of the outer parts of the clutch (where the cable physically attaches to on the bottom side you will see a spring and pivot mechanism... (if you aren't sure what actually moves reach across your bike and squeeze the clutch lever and watch)... use the cable lube to lubricate all those outer moving parts just by spraying them and wiping up the excess with a paper towel...

You are done! you have completely lubricated the whole clutch lever and cable assembly!

After doing this I tried it out... clutch seems to snap back significantly faster and harder.. :thumbup Also note that this was done on a 05 with 2400 miles on it and there was noticeable improvement... so those of you who haven't ever done it and have more miles or older bikes... should definantly do it...

IF you dont use the cable life tool... you can just gently spray the lubricant down between the cable and the tube it slides in but it is kind of dificult because there isnt much room... the other option suggested is motor oil... it would probably be hard to get motor oil into there without a syringe but if you had access to one... just use the syringe to apply the oil inside the clutch cable tube...

This cable tool worked "OK"... my thoughts were it didn't grab onto the cable hard enough to direct a stronger spray down into the tube which would forcefully apply the lubricant as I imagine it was designed to do... I guess our cable and cable tube are too small in diameter for this to properly work...

I take no responsibility for these instructions, for excessive beer consumption, or for anything else you do to mess your sh*t up... this is just how I did it and use at your own risk!

© Copyright 2005 - R6Messagenet.com - All rights reserved.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks... i think if i had to do it again looking back I'd try it with a syringe before i'd try this cable lube tool again... it worked "ok" on the clutch cable and the concept was ok but if it had clamped tighter onto the cable so lube couldnt come out in directions it wasnt intended to come out of the system would have worked much better... but since in Louisiana atleast (not sure about other state) syringes have to have a prescription for... it wouldnt be the prefered method... i wonder if they make a non-medical syringe (one that has a tip similar to one of those thing you inflate basketballs with but a little bit finer that would fit between the cable and the tube that you could get not from a prescription and just inject motor oil with that... or if they made a little straw for an aerosol can that went from the nozzle on the can to a finer size you could just spray directly into the tube from the aerosol lubricant can...

·
Eli, please ban winter
5,768 Posts
Nice write up! I've been wanting to do this on my 03 but really didn't know where to start and I'm lazy :lol

So where'd you get the fancy chain lube? Dont' think I've seen it at any bike shops around here.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it from the local bike shop... if you go to your local bike shop and look at the bottles of chain lube... many of them are actually "chain and cable lube" and work just fine... you just wont have the tool which isnt such a big deal b/c the tool didn't work that great anyway... just grab a bottle and use the straw that comes with it to spray down there...

·
Shes back!!
4,797 Posts
Good stuff

·
Flyin Hawaiian
837 Posts
you know what will work good for this ? Gun oil ,I just did this with my chain cable lube and I feel you on the pita it is. next time gun oil

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
minig0d said:
i wonder if they make a non-medical syringe (one that has a tip similar to one of those thing you inflate basketballs with but a little bit finer that would fit between the cable and the tube that you could get not from a prescription and just inject motor oil with that......
they do, they call them precision oilers. you can find them at hobby stores, I've seen them in a few places. this one is from my r/c car racing days. its meant to oil bearings. and yes thats red oil in it.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I just did this and it was a great piece of maintenance. clutch is definetly smoother and snappier :thumbup

One thing i might add is when your putting your clutch lever back on, to be careful about the switch thats underneath the clutch clip on, it is operated by pulling and releasing the clutch lever, what i meant was when you put the lever back on be careful not to kink the switch in a weird position like i did which almost broke the damn thing, but i got lucky...

Great maintenance. :thumbup and write up :thumbup

ps you can get a syringe, depending on state, at walgreens but they are behind the pharmacy counter and youll have to tell them why you want one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, heads up on that little plastic switch under the clutch lever. Almost bent the hell out of mine just a bit ago.

I used another method of lubing the cable: Partially fill a latex balloon with motor oil and clamp it around the metal end of the clutch cable with a wire tie. Then, squeeze the balloon lightly while pulling the end of the cable back and forth (inside the balloon) to get oil to work its way down the cable. Took a few minutes before it made its way out the bottom, but it worked great. Extremely little mess this way.

However... I'm not sure how I'll be able to use this method to lube the throttle cable. Oh well... I'll figure something out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts