Put a little mo
519 Posts
woohoo...

thanx a million .....

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe different. New fork design and brake mounting design would have most likely changed things. I'll see if while I am at deal's gap if I can take a look at and 05 and see if anything would be seriously different

·
Black is faster
343 Posts
YAY about time someone did a brake line install. Good write up, pics would help but they are to come so good work. Thanks.

ps: not to be off topic. Nas your avatar of rossi is funny :p

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
very good write-up cever :thumbup

1get those pics up soon before someone bleeds their clutch cable :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would add that the brake line brackets can get accessed a little more easier if you pop the black fairing panel / fuse panel covers, and take a moderate length t-wrench into that space that opens up. That's how I finally got at the buggers.

·
Gixxer rider
2,939 Posts
Cever said:
Maybe different. New fork design and brake mounting design would have most likely changed things. I'll see if while I am at deal's gap if I can take a look at and 05 and see if anything would be seriously different
I can take some pictures of mine if you want for comparison. I would think the changes would be very slight between '05's and '03-'04's.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Good write up. I liked how you stress the importance of not dripping the fluid on anything. Only thing I would add is the socket sizes as you use them and maybe some info on the difference between DOT 4 or 5.1. Someone mentioned that in another post, good info.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The only difference on the '05 is that it has a bleeder screw on the master cylinder. So instead of loosening the banjo bolt on the master cylinder, you would just bleed normally.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't put up the size because they may be different for each application as far as lines installed. I know all the sizes for galfer, but goodwrench and others are foriegn to me

I am gonna try to get the pictures of CephasGt's bike next week since his is stock.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Great write up Cever!

This whole process is basically the same on the 99-00 model bikes. I just did mine today and snapped some (shitty) pics. The first thing to do on these bikes is remove the ram air tube covers.

There is a 6mm hex banjo bolt at each caliper, and a 8mm bolt holding the line bracket to the fork tube. Obviously in this picture I have already removed the 8mm bolt.

Then, halfway up where the lines split, there is a 10mm bolt on each side, holding a line bracket.

At the master cyl. there is the 12mm banjo.

The Galfer lines come with 14mm banjo bolts.

·
Put a little mo
519 Posts
prolificX, thanks for the pics man.

i was wondering what was a banjo bolt... (silly me eh!)

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You 03-04 guys can apply those pictures with the exception of the 10mm bolt. That is a 6 allen now.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i have a few questions. Please correct me if i am wrong or have anything confused. I am going to change my lines on Weds and want to clarify on a few things. Thankyou in advance.

-So once i drain out all the fluid and then take off my OEM lines and i put in my new brake lines, i then fill it up with brake fluid in the resevoir and do the brake bleeding procedure?

-And once i fill it up, i bleed the master cylinder first, then the longer line to the left and then the right shorter line. When i bleed the master cylinder, i loosen up the banjo bolt just a tad bit and pump until i have just fluid coming out.

-How would i know i have just fluid coming out when i have a towel wrapped around the banjo bolt?

-Is there an easier way i can bleed the Master Cylinder with a vacuum pump ? i just got a new Craftmans bleeder pump.

I'm being very meticules because it's my first time doing it on my bike and i don't intend to mess up anything on my bike with brake fluid.

thx.

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
Just a quick heads up... If you have a forklift type stand, you will have to unbolt the horn fairing or w/e it is called. The stand it too tight against the horn that you cannot slide the spliter around it with the lines.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To get around this....Don't use a front stand or SAFELY set your front forks on jack stands. Just be sure to safely center the forks and put a towel on the jack stands so you don't scrath you expensive front forks :)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I am taking my old rubber hoses off and putting new galfer SS lines in. Do i need to do anything to the new lines as far as cleaning them out or anything? Also do i put the new lines in totally DRY, then add fluid? If so how do I avoid air bubbles in the system or is that not as big an issue as I am thinking it will be in a totally dry system?

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What I did, which was probably not the best idea was install the lines and hold the brake lever open and let the fluid drain all the way down into 2 little empty water bottles I had stuck on the end of the lines.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
as a means to "clean" them out?

I also thought of something else. Do i want the new pads in and pushed out away from the disc's or do i want them pushed up against the disc's tight, then add the fluid? If they are all the way OUT away from the disc's and I add fluid then grab the brakes a few times... wont it not be tightened up? Or if that is the case would i then just add more fluid?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts