R6 Message Net banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
powerban said:
I think there is a problem with the final picture on the first page. The right side of the spring is supposed to go into a hole on the bracket. Not around the entire piece. I hope you see what i mean.
You're right. There is a little hole in the stopper lever for the spring to fit into and in that picture you menton, it isn't in the hole.

Probably would still work ok, but best to install it correctly...

·
Registered
165 Posts
my bike had this problem. This writeup helped me tremendously. for normal people it should only take an hour to a few hours to do but for me it took 3 days lol

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
How did that take you 3 days???

·
Registered
162 Posts
HOLY CRAP!

mk3turb and I did mine the other day. It took about an hour. It fixed my problem. I can't wait until it warms up and I can get back on it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i took 3 days because 1st i couldn't get the damn spring locked in place corrected, second, i kept taking back apart and puting it back on because genius here (me) insisted on trying to put the bike in first gear with the stand down. If i couldn't get it into first then it must not be on correctly lol. Someone on here told me of my flaw ,thank God. If not i would have towed it to a shop lol.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, I was having problems with putting that damn spring on... Somehow, after fooling with it for a few minutes, it just fell into place.

How's it feel now that you got it replaced?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just did the fix. It was kind of a pain in the ass for me since it's my first time and I didn't know where anything went. Took me about 3 hours but the shifts feel different now...although my old spring was perfectly fine, just unhinged. I still put a new gasket and spring in there

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you guys know if this will help with the second gear pop out? I don't think it will, but I'll still get this spring replaced.

02 r6 with 11,500 miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
would you still have that part# of the spring from napa.. I'm thinking to just ago head and do my bike. let me know.

thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just replaced mine on my 2002. Mine wasn't broken though. When I pulled the shift cover off, the shifter shaft got hung up on the bearings in the aluminum plate and the shifter shaft came out with the cover. I think my spring actually jumped off the pin (red Arrow) cause I didn't here it snap back when I removed the cover and shaft. Hopefully the weather will warm up enough this weekend and I can test out my handi-work. Yes, ten minutes is a little ambitous, It took about an hour, but I had to go back a couple steps to correctly torque the shift shaft cover bolts.

Incidentaly, the best way to snap the spring back over the pin is to hook it on the shift arm when it's off the bike. Take the time to get the spring to lay basically horizontally as you are reinstalling the shaft so the spring is close to the proper orientation. Then use a small flat bladed screwdriver, I'm talking small, like maybe and 1/8th inch blade width. Put the blade inside the hook of the spring, angle it back slightly to prevent it from falling off the end. Stretch the spring until the blade is past the pin and rest the back edge of the screwdriver blade on the head of the pin. Carefully tilt the screwdriver forward and the spring will slide right off and hook on the pin. I tried using a precistion set of long nose pliers, but since I left my mid-plastics on the bike, I didn't quite have the room to negotiate them.

I also purchased the heavier gauge main spring (Yellow Arrows) on the shifter shaft, the one held in by the sping clip. Unfortunately the bushing under the spring clip inside the spring wouldn't budge. I don't know if it's a press fit or what, but I couldn't get it to move a micron. Not wanting to force the removal and damage something that may not be broken, I just left the larger spring in place. If anyone has replaced that larger spring and knows the secret to removing the bushing to slide the spring off the shaft, let me know cause I still have the spring for the next time I have the cover off (which could be never).

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Detent spring Help!!

Hi All.
Just wondering if you think the spring could be my problem
or will it be something more serious:umm
Its 1999 with 11500 on clock when accelarating hard in 2nd
does not want to shift up.
Will appreciate any help

·
Registered
3 Posts
damn spring lol

I bought a 2000 r6 from a guy on craigslist he sold it because he had a kawasaki and a dirtbike and another had gotten stolen from in front of his house and the r6 kept slipping gears and everyone told him it was his tranny and it would cost........... to make a long story short i bought it for $1250 clean title. rode it a little bit last summer and decided i wanted to paint her flat black, well i was on the forums looking up paint tips and saw this post and decided to check and see if that might be the problem (had already gotten quotes for $1000-2000 for tranny work) bought the part from the dealership for like $2.00 went home opened her up and bam broken spring sittin there! how lucky is that im glad for all the details from these forums because my r6 is going to be sick when she done for the summer. now off to plish the frame and sync the carbs!:handclap:bowdown:thumbup:hattip

·
brand n00b!
21 Posts
subscribing for some good info here. i just took a rider course, so lots of stopping and going, starting and stopping, etc. after a couple of hours (engine temp over 200), the bike would NOT shift into 2nd gear, let alone any other gear over 2nd. i'm hoping that this solves the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my 2004 is having somewhat of the same issue. i can go down into first and neutral, but when i try to go into 2nd it wont budge at all, whether im at a stand still or moving. the catch is that it comes and goes, meaning one day it wont shift up at all and the next it will shift perfectly. hoping the spring is the case, pretty sure im putting my bike away for the winter this week so i can check it out once its in the living room lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just some advice which may or may not help with R6's, but check the position of the rod going from the gear lever to the transmission. If it is not splined on the correct position, it can be hard to select neutral or get it into any gear. Discovered this on my FZR250R.

·
Registered
1 Posts
-remove your lowers
-remove coolant bottle
-remove shift linkage
-remove sprocket cover
-remove the shift shaft casing (i was able to re-use the gastket)
-find and remove pieces of old spring
-install new $.70 spring :jerkit part #90506-14003-00

reverse the order and intsall everything you took off......... then go riding :smilecool

© Copyright 2005 - R6Messagenet.com - All rights reserved.
Hi there mate
When you changed the detent spring you didnt happen to look up the part number for the gasket did you ?
I know you said you never changed it but thought i would ask.?
Mine fell to bits. Looks like it had been off before. Loads of rubberised sealant too.
But there was the spring sitting in exaclty the same place as your picture.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts