·
Retired Racer
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-remove your lowers
-remove coolant bottle
-remove shift linkage
-remove sprocket cover
-remove the shift shaft casing (i was able to re-use the gastket)
-find and remove pieces of old spring
-install new $.70 spring :jerkit part #90506-14003-00

reverse the order and intsall everything you took off......... then go riding :smilecool

© Copyright 2005 - R6Messagenet.com - All rights reserved.

Attachments

·
Stonecutter
12,010 Posts
My god, a how to in the how to section.

Seems easy enough Kovz, I read your other thread about bike goes whizzz...bang...whheee...(or something like that).

A simple fix.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's a part that commonly breaks, and that many guys pay the dealer too much $$$ to fix when (as you can see) it's way easy to do yourself.

Hey Kovz: Is that part # for the original replacement spring, or for the upgraded, stronger spring?
(I recall something from a thread on the old board about replacing it with a stronger spring to make your shifts more positive/defined and prevent unexpected breakage)

·
Registered
426 Posts
good job well done!!!!! :nutjob here i am getting all scared. paid 120 for labor that .70 cents spring! you should have done this like 4 years ago that would help!

·
Hi , How are ya
3,512 Posts
Very nice write up thanks

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
^^ When you shift it won't want to go into gear.

I assume its the same for the new gen R6's too but nice write up.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
powerban said:
how do you know when its broken or just weak?
It’s the spring also helps spring back the shifter. So if you think it isn’t springing back like it did or should spend the $0.70 and 10 min. the replace it.

·
Retired Racer
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Luna, that is the replacement for the original one, i dont think you cant get the old weak ones anymore. you can tell just by looking at the 2 that the new one they are selling is ALOT thicker and stronger. the shifts actually feel better too. i noticed a difference.

no need to drain the oil.

symptoms. i was in 5th slowing down for a corner, i downshifted a few times into second, let out the clutch and gave her some throttle, and it was like i was in neutral. try to upshift, it was like the clutch wasnt there. grinding, clunking shift. it engaged then as soon as you give it a bit of throttle it pops out like its in neutral again. it seems do do it only in 2nd 3rd and 4th.

very easy, cheap fix

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great write up. Did the trick. Satisfying to find the broken spring inside the cavity.
Local shops didn't have the spring. Napa had one same size and a tiny bit stiffer.
Very positive shifting difference. No false neutrals. Got manufacture spring a week later. Sittin' in parts bin for next time. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lifesaver

I just want to say that if I had not found this thread I would have broken down and paid the dealer the 3000 he wanted to replace my tranny. You guys are fuggin awesome. Thank You so much for this...it took me $1 and 10 minutes and I was able to enjoy a 70 degree January day in Colorado. I will pass this on to everyone I can to help as much as you guys did. :rockon

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just finished this repair on my 00 R6. Very happy to go out and ride again. I had almost two weeks of downtime, because no one carries this part in stock and it took the place I ordered it from a week to send it. Shifts like new again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what symptoms did u have?

Just trying to figure out if its the spring or the dogs/

Mine seems to be in 2nd only on accelleration...yamaha's saying its the dogs and i think they're right but i gotta try right...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts