R6 Message Net banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Hey, nice marmot!
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
firaz said:
sorry to be ignorant but which is the master cylinder?

thanks

fraz
Hey bud, its the solid black piece that has the single line that runs from the brake fluid reservoir to it. The brake fluid reservoir (in case you don't know) is the clear container in the upper left of the last picture in the how to section. For the rear brakes I believe the master cylinder hides back behind your right foot heel guard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice write up... I am doing a little research because I am about to change my brakes. I have changed brakes before on many o cars and compressing the cylinder in the caliper is a real bitch if you dont' have the cylinder compressor kit. Is it alot easier to compress the cylinder back into the caliper on the R6? There was no mention of it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey thanks guys. I was bored at 2am, so I figured I would give changing my pads a shot. This thread showed me exactly how! Awesome I've had the ebc HH for a while waiting to take them in to be done, but I saved myself some labor fee's :) I am not very mechanically inclined by any means and this wasn't hard at all. The first side took me about half an hour, and the second took me seriously like five minutes. I heard the HH were more for track, and since I don't do any track would you suggest getting as far as brakes go? thanks all again!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Awesome how to. When my fork seal blew it saturated the pads on one side so i finally got some pads in for it. Some nice dubba H EBC. Wish all vehicles were this easy to do a brake job on, and thanks for the torque specs as well, this place is great!

·
Registered
201 Posts
It should be easy to compress the pistons back into the caliper. I've always done it with my fingers or carefully pressed against them with a screw driver.

If you're using pads with a different compound you may want to take some sandpaper to your rotors and lightly sand them.

Also, brake your pads in, you don't want to glaze them. Drag the brakes just a little for a bit, then do some full stops, going easy and working up to normal braking. Don't go out and do a bunch of panic stops with your fresh pads.

·
I am Jack's Doctor
2,883 Posts
I just did this yesterday for my R1. Awesome write-up and pics.

I put in some EBC pads. It was a breeze. Replaced them in like 10 minutes because it's really not necessary to remove the calipers on the R1.

You just slide out the pin with the caliper still on the rotor, slide out the old pads, slide in the new ones and replace the pin/holder. :woot

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
Do you guys normally use a C clamp for compressing the pistons?

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you happen to mindlessly grab your brake lever while the pads are out or while the calipers have been removed you won't need to bleed the brakes. With the calipers removed and with the old pads still installed just shove screw driver in between the pads to pry them open. This may be required anyway if you are replacing very old pads that are worn down with new, fat pads with a lot of surface on them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
one question, how important are those silver pins for holding in the rod? i swapped the front end of my FZ6 for the 06 R6s forks and 04 front calipers, but i noticed one of the sides doesn't have those pins.

when i pull in the brake hard, i hear some kind of click noise coming from the caliper. any ideas?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts