R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pick up a cheap pair of headphones for $10 at Target that have volume control. Then cut the plastic piece between the headphones, taking care not to cut the wire. Also remove the foam covers.

On the helmet pull the cheekpad out and tuck the speaker down where the ear hole is

No need to fasten, it will stay when you tuck the pad back in

Next run the wire around the back of the neck and tuck it down in the groove,

Then Velcro the volume control on the side you want and be sure the volume control is facing down and at the botom of the lip. This way you can adjust with gloves simply by running your thumb across the bottom.

Viola, plug into MP3 player, Turn on and volume ALL the way up on player, lock the keys, and throw it in a pocket. All volume adjustments are now done on the fly.

I use the iPod shuffle around my neck. I was debating on putting a piece of velcro and sticking it to the side.....

But then I realized I can tuck the shuffle in the back of the helmet sideways and hide all the wires!

© Copyright 2005 - R6Messagenet.com - All rights reserved.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
This has been added to the list...Good work

·
Yamaland
1,080 Posts
Nicely done. I'm off to Walmart to get a set of headphones right now.

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
I put some headphones in my helmet and jacked up the vol on my mp3 player and still the sound was not loud enough. I think my setup will hardly work when I"m actually riding. I would think that a vol. control on the earphones will help but I'm not sure so if someone has it let me know. Thanks

(ps the super walmart next to my house does not carry headphones with vol control. I thought all Walmarts carry the same merchandise)

·
Shameless Rossifumi
1,337 Posts
(ps the super walmart next to my house does not carry headphones with vol control. I thought all Walmarts carry the same merchandise)
Naturally not every Wal-Mart in the world is identical, and lucky for us all you can buy a decent/cheap pair of headphones :dj with volume control at any other fine retailer.

Great How-To though - definitely gonna have to give this a shot.

What was the Wal-Mart part # for this mod again?? :umm

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
CephasGT said:
Nicely done! I had been thinking about doing something like that... Any road tests yet? I'm curious about how they do above wind noise and such...
I've been running them for over a year and they work fantastic! Even at speeds 70+. The Arai is a nice helmet to block out wind noise so that may help, plus you HAVE to turn your MP3 player volume as loud as it will go and use the volume control on the helmet. (different songs are louder then others)

Got the headphones at Target for $11. Changed the original how-to that reflects this.

·
Shameless Rossifumi
1,337 Posts
Atleast in the US I thought it would be the same and yes I can find it in any other store but that was not the point.
Just messin with ya :myfault

·
Registered
510 Posts
this kinda thing is illegal is almost every state (if not all of them) for a reson.... think about it... I'll take my single rear-facing speaker thank you very much.

That said, if you want to get really tricked out you can get one of the new helmet with the bluetooth headset buit-in, or the motorola add-on kit and then get some kinda PDA that cam play MP3 and supports bluetooth head-sets as a speaker (treo 650) and then you got no wire going to your helmet to get cought on things. Ofcourse that will set ya back about a grand.

That said, I'll stick with the music that the 6 makes. =)

happy motoring

·
Track day dreamer
6,874 Posts
NOVAdam said:
these work great, too, if you're using headphones -- they cut wind noise A LOT: http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...tore=Main&leafCatId=40102&brand=531&catId=401

i have one of the "deluxes" (though i don't remember them costing anywhere near that much). great for cold weather, too.

good write-up, atlantar6.
That's an interesting product, might have to look into getting one of those, even if I don't do the helmet headphone mod. I've been using some Sony earbud headphones, because they both block out ambient noise and have superior sound quality to almost every other headphone on the market. It's kind of a pain to get them to stay plugged in your ears when putting on a snug-fitting lid, but they're really nice for long rides.

Thanks for the info.

·
Shes back!!
4,797 Posts
That is nice, I tried that before. But the cheekpad muffled the sound quite a bit and was hard to hear at full volume, especially on the freeway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The sony earbuds ($40-50 ones) work very well. Tried a bunch of other types and damn near ripped my ears off trying to get my helmet off. The sonys go in your ears farther like earplugs so they block other noise so you dont have to crank the volume (hearing loss). You can still hear the engine and other noises well enough and they dont give you a headache or ear amputation. A little pricy but employee discount helps.... :p

·
Shu Wei
329 Posts
does the volume control on the outside of the helmet flap around in the wind? this seems like a dumb question but will anything happen to the volume control in the rain?

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
711michaelR6 said:
does the volume control on the outside of the helmet flap around in the wind? this seems like a dumb question but will anything happen to the volume control in the rain?
Doesn't flap at all, just be sure to velcro the entire volume piece and cut it out to shape.

After a year and a half of riding with it I just replaced the headphones for $10. I've been caught in the rain several times and it just started cutting off / on / off every couple of rides randomly. Back up and running now!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts