R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first how to. My cherry has been popped.

smdandb2's guide to installing a 2006-2007 R6 Gauge Cluster on your 2003-2005 (06+ S)

Pros: Everything! This is probably one of the best looking bike clusters on the market right now. Its also nice to have the clock and tripmeter visible at the same time.

Cons: While having the clock and tripmeter visible at the same time gives me a giant stiffy, currently mine keeps resetting after the bike has been off for more than 5 minutes. I am still working on a fix, but as of right now it is a no go. You also have to cut up the bracket the stock cluster mounts to. Its nothing horrendous, but if you do it right the top screw on the stock cluster will no longer thread into anything should you decide to go back to stock.

Another thing of importance. The speedometer WILL BE OFF. I did the -1/+2 on my bike without the speedohealer and got adjusted to that mentally. I figured my speedo was off by about 15%. Just by putting this cluster in, the speedo is off by about 26% now. A speedohealer is a must!

General information on the swap: The cluster swap is pretty straight forward if you have any mechanical ability. If you can change your own oil, I think you can swap the cluster. I compared the wiring diagrams side by side for both bikes/clusters, and they were almost identical, aside from the pins being in a different location on the plug. The 06-07 cluster has an extra wire that feeds from the start button. I have no clue what it does. The 03-05 does not share this wire. I thought that might have been part of the tripmeter/clock problem, so I actually hooked a wire to my start switch and attached it to the cluster. Nothing changed, so as of now I do not think that wire is necessary for operation of the cluster. Maybe someone can shed some light on this wire.

Items needed: 06-07 Cluster and speedohealer.

Tools needed: You will need your basic handtools. A philips screwdriver (the stubby kind); 10mm socket; some very small screwdrivers (kinds used on glasses, or maybe an ice pick will work); a drill and a dremel.

Beers needed: I think a six pack of your favorite brew will be sufficient. I did the swap with 2x 24oz Bud Lights.

Directions:

1.) Tear your bike apart as shown. You need the windscreen gone, along with the mirrors. Then go ahead and remove your stock cluster and put it somewhere safe.

2.) Now we are going to repin your harness. FIRST, make sure your harness wires match the picture shown.

Now pull back the rubber guard thingy so you have some room. You might have to remove a bit of the tape so you have room to move the wires around. There is a swinging clip thingy on both the top and bottom of the plug, undo one of your choice. Now take your small screwdriver or ice pick, and jam it into the open area of the wire. There is a little black clip you must depress on the plug itself, and the wire will slide right out. I used some angled ice pick looking Snap-On tool, worked great!

Go ahead and remove all the wires.

3.) Once you have all the wires removed. Go ahead and place them back in the plug according to the 06-07 wiring diagram above. The blue/white wire goes into the end spot. It is your neutral indicator light. The wire I have marked with the red X, is the starter wire that I deemed not neccessary.

4.) Once you have the wires in place, double check your work. Once you are sure they are right, go ahead and latch the end pieces again on the plug. Go ahead and plug in your new cluster and turn the key on. Verify everything works on it. Once it works, continue to the next step.

5.) I have my cluster mounted a bit low, one of these days I am going to move it higher. I took some paint, and put it on the plastic pieces the screws go in, and I pressed it onto the bracket so I could get an idea where to drill the holes. While it worked (kind of), I think there is a better method. Grab a piece of paper and put it on the back of the cluster. Poke some holes where the screws go in, and now you should have a template. You can put this on the bracket, and use a marker to mark the spots. Shown is a picture of my current holes. In the red is what I am going to do. Since the plug for the cluster is higher than the original cluster, I am going to have to notch out that center area in red. This is soft metal, so my dremel will tear right thru it.

6.) Now you can plug it in, and mount it. When I just pulled mine back out tonight, I put some rubber behind the mounts and shoved the screws thru it. I actually did not use the stock rubber groments. Mine sits on top of the metal. You only get 2 screws to hold it in if you mount it right. If you do it low, you are good with all 3 screws.

7.) Reassemble bike and enjoy!

Thanks for reading this how-to. Hopefully it helps someone!

--Justin

·
Ex-Member
1,625 Posts
ooo man a black gauge on a raven would look freakkkkkin sweet!....if only i could come across a cluster for cheap

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dj802005 said:
ooo man a black gauge on a raven would look freakkkkkin sweet!....if only i could come across a cluster for cheap
Cheap is the problem.

Just give me some time, I may have a cheaper solution. :badger

·
Registered
135 Posts
You think the wire that you dont know where it goes is for the lap timer on the 06-07? Because the lap timer is connected to the start switch...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mav23r6 said:
You think the wire that you dont know where it goes is for the lap timer on the 06-07? Because the lap timer is connected to the start switch...
You may be right.

I saw the lap timer function, and had no idea how to use it.

I'll go play with it in a few. Since I have that wire hooked up to mine. If that does the trick for the lap timer, I will amend my instructions to show what I did for it.

·
^s Own The Messagenet
1,123 Posts
mrc00l88 said:
any other news on this? the extra wire, etc? will you still need the speedohealer even if you don't have the 520 conversion?
Yes...the gearing is a lot different in the first place...the 520 conversion (adding and removing teeth) makes it even more different.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mav23r6 said:
heres my 07 gauge on my 05.... all thanks to smdandb2!!!!!
w00t freakin w00t!

I'm glad I could help.

Does your tripmeter and clock reset after you shut the bike off?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mrc00l88 said:
any other news on this? the extra wire, ect? will you still need the speedohealer even if you dont have the 520 conversion?
The extra wire is for the lap timer. I verified that on mine. I still have the same issue with the tripmeter and clock resetting.

And yes, a speedohealer is a must.

My conversion value on my speedohealer is -27.9%. I imagine it would be around 10-15% off with just swapping speedometers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dustin said:
How about the wire for the outside air temp sensor in the 3rd gens?
Its not a wire that can simply be added to the cluster harness. All that information comes directly from the ECU. The 03-05/S's do not have the ability to use the ambient air sensor.

We are SOL on that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
smdandb2 said:
w00t freakin w00t!

I'm glad I could help.

Does your tripmeter and clock reset after you shut the bike off?

Yea it does reset itself... sounds to me like theres a ground missing... I dont really know. I would have to have the schematics to both bikes to be able to tell..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mav23r6 said:
Yea it does reset itself... sounds to me like theres a ground missing... I dont really know. I would have to have the schematics to both bikes to be able to tell..
I can give you full schematics, but they don't help really.

I have traced every single wire.

This winter when there is snow outside, I will tear my brothers 07 apart and test the voltage of each of his wires.

My guess is the 03-05 send less volts when the bike is off to the cluster. If the 06-07 send a higher voltage, that is easy to fix. A diode and a power wire.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
15,500 is where I hit the limiter.

It takes a bit of adjusting to remember to shift before the red. The shift light helps though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts