R6 Message Net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a curiosity. I've heard of some race tracks that have switch-backs where you're going 30mph and still dragging your knees. I'm still workin on getting the knees down, some day soon it'll happen but I'm not pushin it too hard too fast.

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
jdoggg roolz.

·
Registered
628 Posts
well u only have to be going fast enough to keep the bike planted at the angle with u hanging off... u can take a freeway on ramp at like 40 and be leaning and i suppose if u hang off ALOT u could drag knee...

or if u are good u could do the counter-lean thing and try it at slow speeds... like doing figure 8's in MSF but drag knee while doing it ;)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow! thats a great vid, thanks! Makes me wanna practice in a parking lot so my first touch down doesn't happen while I'm doin like 90mph and mess up my concentration.

·
Habitual Line Crosser
387 Posts
Practicing in parking lots is fun as hell. Touching down at 90 is easy, learn to do it at 20 and you will learn greater throttle control and how to keep the bike balanced properly. At slow speeds your mistakes really upset the balance of the bike. Its a good way to learn becuase you can iron out these mistakes at slow speeds rather than make them when you are going faster. And if you do lay it down not that much will happen.

+ when you get to the track you will own everyone in the hairpins!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I'd try to learn on a 40-50mph corner.... The speed will help keep your bike up a little better.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yeah, my advice would be to learn at 40-50 ish. At my local track we havfe a hairpin that has us putting a knee down at 20ish. When you're pushing hard though it really doesn't feel too slow.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
AwwsChwA said:
This is just a curiosity. I've heard of some race tracks that have switch-backs where you're going 30mph and still dragging your knees. I'm still workin on getting the knees down, some day soon it'll happen but I'm not pushin it too hard too fast.
Don't worry about it, work on consistancy. That is the way to go faster and trust me when you are going fast enough you will have your knee down, then you will start burning through 50 dollar knee pucks and miss the days before you started dragging.

Also, a ton of novice track riders don't have great form. I see tons of them with their a$$ hanging off the seat but their arms locked and their head straight up over the windscreen so their backs look like question marks. Slide a cheek off the side of the bike, keep your butt back on the seat, get your chest on the tank and your helmet on the side of the bike you are turning into. This will get your knee closer to the ground and is good form. Be patient it will happen if you practice enough.

Z

1 - 12 of 12 Posts