R6 Message Net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and saw a couple of you guys have painted your bike yourself. How much paint did it take? Mine already has primer from the previous owner, so I'm looking for how much for a base coat. Also, how many coats did you apply? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I just got done with my upper and tail, and used about a pint of base (reduced 1:1 so I had about a Qt. of material to work with.) It took about 3 coats to get the coverage I needed. I used about the same amout of clear.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
jlpred said:
How much paint did it take?
in most cases you can paint two bikes with 1qt of each of primer/base/clear. i'd get minimum 1qt in case of fuck up's :D

jlpred said:
how much for a base coat. Also, how many coats did you apply?
depends on the quality of the paint. i use a paint by PPG called Omni that's not expensive. it should be around $20-30 per quart for the base. primer/clear wil be around $15-20 per quart. plus reducer, hardener and tack rags should be less than $100.

i'd respray the primer just to be safe. it may be out of a spray can.

·
I will not eat cat poop!
4,370 Posts
Firetire said:
How do you do it and not fuck it up?
Unfortunately, the art of painting takes practice.

That's why it is best to try your technique on a test piece before you dive into the real paint job.

However, the nice thing (maybe?) about painting something yourself is that you can always sand it down and try again if it turns out like shit. Getting it right the first time, every time is what takes experience.

I have become an ace with rattle cans over the last few months. I tried my hand at the whole mixing up paint and using a spray-gun but it just ended up being too much hassle for my needs, a decent job on track bodywork.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Firetire said:
How do you do it and not fuck it up?
what Ryan said ... practice practice practice, i have a fender that i've painted a bagillion times. i made sure it looked good on the fender first then i sprayed the good stuff.

sandpaper will become your best friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts