R6 Message Net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Believe it or not, I still have not winterized my baby, but I will be doing that tonight.

I have read over and over again that it is recomended to drain tha carbs to get rid of the old fuel. HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT DOIN THAT. thanx

yes, i have used the search feature but no results with easy to follow instructions. :thumbup

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Don't know if you can just drain the carbs but if all else fails leave it on till it runs out of gas heh.

I would just put the winterizin stuff into the tank and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
There are small allen head screws at the bottom of the float bowls. You will need a 3mm allen wrench to loosen them. You don't need to remove them, just crack them loose and the fuel will drain out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool,

but how about if i just let it run with the old fuel for about 10 min, top the tank up with fresh fuel, add stabilizer, run it with that for about 10 min so it goes through the system, top it up again and call it a day?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Or you could just turn you fuel off (under the tank) run the bike until it dies (another option instead of draining the float bowls).

Thats what I would do if I didn't live in such a warm place. But as an extra step, I would drain whatever fuel might be left in the bowls after the bike died out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i'm glad this post is up here...for the reason that i need to drain the gas out in my 01 r6 because i lost the key...i know i know...:myfault ...so i cant really winterize the bike...i cant fill the tank up..i move it very easily (steering is locked), i cant change the oil because its recommended to run the bike after you do...i went to a shop and they said all i can really do is put the battery on a tender, drain the fuel out, and put it on stands...i've tried to get a key made...but the locksmiths i've talked to say they need to have the ignition...and i dont know how to get that out....my friend said its not very easy...and the shop isnt taking any more bikes tell after the 1st...so there my story and my dilemma...i know it sucks being me...:thumbdown ...if anyone has any comments or suggestions..i'm open to anything at this point...i feel bad for my baby, but nothin i can really do.......

eldiablo

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
could goto yama dealer and give them your vin and show them your title and i believe they can print up your key code.

·
Registered
906 Posts
You should be able to drain the carbs, with the bars locked.

I wouldn't recommend leaving the tank empty. Just leave the gas in there as it is. It won't go stale. If it does just drain it out come summer time (no big deal).

Hell my bike is in about 300 pieces, I have my tank outside in a trailor and my bike is on one wheel stand with no oil in it. Of course i live in a warmer climate than you and I'm also doing a rebuild.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts