R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, the term "cold" really doesn't apply since I live in San Diego, but in any case, it's cooling off quite a bit around here and I'm curious about whether I can still do my early morning twisty runs. Some of the roads around Julian are outta the question for a few months cuz snow patches are starting to appear here and there, but there's lots of other fun roads. Anyway, on to my question...

If the bike is good n warmed up adn I've been riding for a while so the tires are at operating temperature, is there a risk of sliding if the road and air are chilly?

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
There's always a risk of sliding. :)

Though, you pretty much hit the nail on the head, "if the tires are at operating temperature"... the hard bit is getting them there sometimes. If you've adjusted your air pressure to correct for the colder air (should be a 10% difference between cold and at operating temp), you should have a suprising amount of grip.

This assumes that there isn't salt/sand on the road, of course. And my usual disclaimer... if you have to have really good rubber all the way warm, odds are you're going too fast for the street.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know about the 10% tire pressure difference thing, can you elaborate on that a bit?

I ride hard in the mountains, but it's riding hard only by my own standards. I'm still a new rider, I haven't gotten the knees down yet so I'm not doin super crazy speeds. Fast enough to push my limits, but I'm not even phasing the bike. She just takes the turns goin "come on man, is that all you got?"

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
Your tire pressure when up to temp should be equal to 110% of your cold tire pressure.

If you're running 35psi cold and getting it up to 38psi hot, you're about right. Just gotta play with it a bit, and the actual number will change depeneding on if you have a passenger, road condition, and ambient temperature.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I run Powers and have great grip at Deals Gap at 40 deg. running 30psi. I just give it a little more time to heat up before I push.

·
Stock Tiip ARIO!
1,625 Posts
My old dunlops are not bad in 37 degree weather,just go slow at first and heat up the tires. I ran around 31pds of air both tires-the dunlops were not bad. 35pds is too high in cold weather, actually in any weather, 32pds both tires for ever day riding, when I first started riding I pumped up the tires like 40pds-what a mistake-a dropped the bike on a hill at zero mph lucky not a reAL BAD DROP BUT NO SLIDERS put them every where then-make sure you get them to save your bike.

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
sunofwolf said:
My old dunlops are not bad in 37 degree weather,just go slow at first and heat up the tires. I ran around 31pds of air both tires-the dunlops were not bad. 35pds is too high in cold weather, actually in any weather, 32pds both tires for ever day riding, when I first started riding I pumped up the tires like 40pds-what a mistake-a dropped the bike on a hill at zero mph lucky not a reAL BAD DROP BUT NO SLIDERS put them every where then-make sure you get them to save your bike.
fyi its psi not pds
and 35psi is not too much for summer use. i run my metzelers at 36psi just because they feel better to me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
everyone talking about running lower pressure then recommended on the bikes... why? my bike (01) says recommended pressure is 36/36.
i am going to be spooning on a set of powers, and was going to be running them at the same pressure. why would you run a lower pressure? i could see possibly on track, because the tire will ultimately get hotter, hence more pressure, but why for the street? thanks.

·
Stock Tiip ARIO!
1,625 Posts
Try all the different air pressure,I would say 36 is too high. The track and tire people say run 32 in both tires on the street,maybe go up one -but thats about perfect:2cents

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
sunofwolf said:
Try all the different air pressure,I would say 36 is too high. The track and tire people say run 32 in both tires on the street,maybe go up one -but thats about perfect:2cents
It DEPENDS ON THE TIRE. Just because 32psi feels good to you on ONE set of tires, doesn't mean it's a hard and fast rule. I started running Perilli Diablo Corsa's and you have to run those up around 34-37psi or they'll slide all over the place (thanks for that info Thrak).

Not to be too harsh, but you haven't been riding long enough to have sampled enough tires at enough pressures to tell someone else their suggestion for tire pressures is too high.

Eli

·
Stock Tiip ARIO!
1,625 Posts
That was not my advice,why not just be 42 in the tires then wait till you fall over-I need more spare parts

·
Phi Alpha
1,518 Posts
Take advice from the veterans of the forum. /\ Not this guy!

I'm not a veteran by any means, but there is no hard set rule, depends on a lot of conditions....and they will change from time to time!!

**and yet another post of his stating "more parts for my bike."

·
He be beastin
1,458 Posts
sunofwolf said:
That was not my advice,why not just be 42 in the tires then wait till you fall over-I need more spare parts
I wonder why he needs soooo many spare parts?:umm

·
Phi Alpha
1,518 Posts
karonic said:
I wonder why he needs soooo many spare parts?:umm
Have you seen his bike:sick !?!?! He has to practically rebuild it......or at least he should.

SORRY....not trying to threadjack.

**Ride only as safe as conditions allow:wink

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
saefirebird said:
I'm not a veteran by any means, but there is no hard set rule, depends on a lot of conditions....and they will change from time to time!!

Yes, use the 10% rule. It's not rocket science... and it means that you may run more pressure if you ride differently, or if the weather changes or....

What?! You mean tires respond differently to different conditions? You're kidding me... :myfault :myfault

·
Registered
440 Posts
The coldest I did was a trackday with a damp track and temps in the 15 degree range (59 F). I was running 41 in the rear and 36 in the front... tires were M1's. I was dragging knee with no problem after my 3rd lap.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've had my knee down in 20-30 deg weather before... just make sure the tire is warmed to near prime operating tempuratures... Also, I never change my PSI, *I* prefer 29 up front / 31 in the rear, with the same tires I've used for the past 3 seasons, Michelin S2/M2 combination...:thumbup

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so the overall idea that I get is that, even if the road is cold (not freezy of course), as long as the tires are properly warmed and at a suitable pressure, the bike can still be ridden for all it's worth. Am I correct? Gee I hope so, cuz like I said waaaaaay up at the top, "cold" here in San Diego really isn't that cold except for in the mountain elevations, and there's still plenty of roads to ride that aren't in the mountains where the air doesn't get below mid 40s in the winter.

·
Registered
911 Posts
You guys are thinking about this waay too much. You'll be fine in the 40's with your standard pressure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts